Postings by Angus's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Dog Health > Still won\'t eat...
Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Fri Oct 24, '08 6:36am PST 
I just noticed that Icky is a minpin, so 9 years old--isn't really that old for him. A beagle--yes. Minpin--no.
So, I definately would try to get him to eat & then once he starts eating reliably & putting weight on, then you could try & improve his diet.
We've had Miss Maggie for nearly a year now & she is a young dog, not middle aged like Icky--but she's still a very finicky eater & some days--she just won't eat.
Good Luck! Keep us posted.
P.S. She's a minpin mix. They have attitude, don't they? laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sedona, Oct 25 5:52 pm

Dog Health > Still won\'t eat...
Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Fri Oct 24, '08 6:17am PST 
When we first got Maggie from the SPCA, she was half her proper weight with hips bones & ribs sticking out & you would think that she would be more than ready to start eating.
NOPE!
Sometimes it can be VERY HARD to get dogs to start eating again. You have to do it slowly. One thing that really helps a lot for people & animals, when you're trying to get an anorexic (for any reason) to start eating is the size of the plate or the food bowl.
Use a small plate or bowl with small portions.
Go for the chicken & rice. Skinned rotisserie chickens from the grocery are great for this if you don't want to bake one. Just don't get a spicy one.
If your ole sweetie has been on antibiotics for the kennel cough, that could have their tummy in a bunch. See if you can get down a little yogurt. Almost all pups like vanilla. Don't get sugar free. I'm not worried about the sugar in the vanilla yogurt. It would probably do him/her good at this point.
I'm glad to hear you're doing blood work up today. Take a stool sample too. Maggie had giardia & that's why she was so skinny & wouldn't eat. It took a special "poo test" that our vet had to send off in order to diagnose it.
Once she was on the medication her appetite started picking up & we started to feed her more, slowly at first. Remember, you can't go from zero to eighty with this.
Maggie went up to her ideal weight of 35 lbs., but we had to get her healthy first.
If the tests come back ok, maybe consider giving into this one a little. I mean, after all, at this point in this dog's life--nutrition of any kind may be better than none at all.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sedona, Oct 25 5:52 pm

Dog Health > Can dogs get hiccups?

Angus

Where's Maggie?

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 9:03am PST 
I’m glad that Nanook is feeling fine.
You may still be a little “gun shy” from the loss of your other dog.
It can take a little time for that kind of anxiety to subside.
Now that’s not to say that if you see what you think is an odd behavior—to ignore it.
You’re absolutely right.
As hiccups go--we’ve had a couple of gassy dogs.
The hiccups would happen when they ate or drank too fast—gulping air.
Happy Birthday Soon Nanook!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Berinhard, Oct 23 9:35 am

Dog Health > Neutering your dog? How early?

Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 8:43am PST 
Hey little guy! You’re awfully cute!
I wouldn’t go prior to the 6 month mark & you could probably be just fine with that since you’re a Chihuahua.
My brother Angus was a rescue puppy who was neutered at 7 ½ weeks. He had to have a urethrostomy when he was about 7 months old. His penis bone—yes, dear, you have a penis bone—didn’t develop properly & he had to have his urethra routed through his belly to outside at the scrotum.
It’s unknown if this was due to being neutered too early or if it may have been a genetic predispostion. But hormones like testosterone affect a lot of things (proper growth & development for example). Not just sexual reproduction.
There's no reason for you to have to take an unnecessary risk.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 23 3:22 pm

Dog Health > Cushings suspected-- Mon\'s in a panic

Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 12:46pm PST 
Hello Lady,
I’m glad to hear that the Lysodren is working well for you & that you were able to take your Mom off of suicide watch. BOL.
We had an older sister, Stella, who had Cushings for over 10 years. Mom didn’t use the Lysodren, she worked with a Holistic Vet who used Chinese Herbs. Her main herb was something called a Shisandra compound.
Stella was diagnosed at around 5 years old & lived to be nearly 16. She not only lived. But she LIVED WELL. Bouts of pancreatitis could be kept at a minimum with yogurt every day & seizures were kept down (because she had a tumor on her pituitary) with a low dose of B-Complex vitamins daily.
Stella lived fully & virtually symptom free for over 10 years & believe me, when I say fully—I mean it. Stella owned Mom & they both knew it.
Like I said, Cushings is more of a chronic condition now & families can live with it for a long time. You have to keep a closer eye on yourself because you get to the point where you can start developing infections because even though its an endrocrine disorder, its also an auto immune disorder because of the constant triggering of histamines that you have.
It’s a good thing that your Mom has a researchers nature because odds are that you’ll live a long life with as few symptoms—if ever to appear. I guess what I’m trying to say is that the condition changes over time & the symptoms change too; because your dealing with organs producing hormones that regulate everything.
Cushings isn’t a death sentence or even a sentence of a sickly life. Stella was proof of that. But if I were your Mom I would definitely look into the holistical approach for this condition that can compliment your vet’s approach as well as looking into Dr. Pitcairn’s books on natural health for dogs & cats.
You’ll be fine sweety. You’ll see J
If you have any questions, just pawmail my Mom.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Oct 21 12:46 pm

Dog Health > Side effects from Worms
Angus

Where's Maggie?

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 11:54am PST 
Riley,
Our nails can definitely be an indicator of a health condition. You can tell various dietary shortcomings in the nail—for example, zinc deficiency often shows up as white lines on a human’s nail bed.
Parasites could definitely make you malnourished.
Since your Mama got rid of the parasites, do you seem to be feeling better?
Overall, how are you doing?
Otherwise, you may just have dry nails & probably a little dandruff from dry skin too if that’s the case. Have your Mom add a little good quality flax seed & or fish oil to your diet. You just may need a little more Omega 3’s & 6’s than what you’ve been getting.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Angus, Oct 21 11:54 am

Dog Health > Parkinson’s Head Wobble

Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 11:38am PST 
Hi Riley,
You sure are cute.
My head actually wobbles like a bobble head, although it’s not as pronounced. It’s a little more subtle—but not a lot.
I don’t seem to be off balance when it’s happened because I’ve walked while doing it & didn’t seem dizzy.
We have an appointment at the vet on Thursday afternoon to check my ears & do a preliminary blood work up. I know if it’s neurological that there won’t be anything in the blood work up, but there was a medication error that happened at the vet’s office just prior to this beginning & the blood work up is to hopefully rule out any kidney or liver damage.
Do you have a bobble head too?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Oct 21 11:38 am

Dog Health > Parkinson’s Head Wobble

Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 10:55am PST 
Twice now, Mom has seen me doing a weird head wobble. Like a person with Parkinson’s Disease.
She’s DEFINITELY keeping an eye on things, but was curious as to if other pups have had them.
She’s thinking ears or maybe petite mal seizures.
My ears don’t smell funny & I haven’t been favoring them in any way…scratching, shaking or rubbing & as far as a possible seizure might be—I don’t seem any worse for wear when its over.
During the head bob, my body doesn’t shake, I don’t do anything funny with my face or mouth in any way & my breathing doesn’t seem to change.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Oct 21 11:38 am

Dog Health > 24-Hour Animal Control Toll Free Number

Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Fri Sep 5, '08 7:31am PST 
The ASPCA has a 24-hour hotline for animal poison control.
The phone number is:

ANIMAL POISON CONTROL:
ASPCA 24-Hour: 888-426-4435.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Sep 5 7:31 am

Who's Feeling Silly? > Let's See If I Can Make This The Biggest Thread Ever!
Maggie

Where's Angus?

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 1:00pm PST 
Man, Baby! You are cute!
You look a little like Scrappy Doo.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Suzy Q, Nov 30 4:26 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.