Postings by Ferris's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 49: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed Match (Tillers help wanted!)
Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 9:19pm PST 
Papillons and seem to be a good fit for you. Paps are usually obsessed with their person! Very trainable and eager to please. They are not a working dog that will work just to work. . . they work for praise, treats, etc. They usually thrive in homes that will work with them in some sport. They do best with very positive training; negative training can break them down and make them very skittish and nervous. Also, lack of socialization can make them very fearful.

If you want a Velco, rare is the Pap that will let you go to the bathroom alone. They are always happy. They are active little dogs but not hyper. You can throw 30 Paps in a yard who've never met and rarely will there be a scuffle. They aren't super playful with other dogs.

Easy to groom but they do shed. Your rule with shedding is simple: the longer the hair, the less the dog will shed. However, the longer the hair, the more grooming you have to do to prevent matting and to keep the hair pretty.

Another good thing about them is they tend to be very healthy and long lived. I have two 13 year olds. They have gone gray, one has lost much of his hearing, but they have the energy level of a 6 year old. The lines I work with are especially long-lived. They are good 'til 15ish and then from 15-17 they become frail and old, but many pass away on their own around 16 or 17.

You should check out my site if you are really interested.
http://www.letitpapillons.com/info/index.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Aina Aloysius de LeMaitre, Jan 9 6:12 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Is there a good big dog for me
Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 3:36am PST 
Too many ewe necks in the breed from MY experience and in talking to breeders. This isn't good for agility. They aren't athletic enough for me. Very smart but I need a more agile dog for agility. I'm not trying to insult breeds! They are all great. Poodles just aren't protective enough for me nor intimidating. I have never been intimidated by one nor met one that didn't jump on me with wags n kisses. I want (ideally) a true protection dog.

A G Schnauzer came to mind?
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by Orley, Dec 31 3:57 pm

Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 2:54am PST 
Thanks for the suggestions. Poodle is great but not intimidating, which I need, and with straight shoulders and not athletic enough. I can compromise on some things, though.

I know lots if Malinois. I like them n their energy level us fine with me. Although I've had em around my dogs, I don't trust em enough so thats a deal breaker. I've been told Tervs are much easier to live with other pets and their coats are more to my liking. I've only known one (did live with a small dog).

I have a Malamute stay with me a couple months out of the year and his shedding is fine as it comes out in tufts which are easy to clean. Had a Pug stay over and I couldn't handle the shedding.

GSD are so sweet but I can't deal with the way they've been bred to move. It is not a deal breaker but is a drawback.

I just want to do agility n obedience with the dog apart from regular walks. I've been interested in tracking and S&R but with no previous experience in either, I can't be certain they are for me - though agility isn't for me either, I just do it for the dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Orley, Dec 31 3:57 pm

Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 7:56pm PST 
here is my ideal big dog

Lovable n safe around kids n pets
Loyal n protective
Looks intimidating
Trainable - good in agility
As low shedding as possible - no Lab
Non drooling
Healthy
Big but not so huge it will break my furniture or not fit in my car - no Giant anything or Anatolian size
Tolerates hot environment

Some of my fav breeds are BCs and Aussies but not sure they fit the protective n intimidating need

Like Rotts n Dobes but not a fan of the shedding and getting that short hair which I know sheds more than longer hair

GSD are out cuz of their structure

Thinking about the 4 Belgian Shepherds. I'm most familiar with Malinois which I think fits the trainable, athletic, intimidating needs. Not sure I can live with the short shedding coat n not sure I can trust one around my small dogs. I don't have much experience with the other varieties.
[notify]
» There has since been 45 posts. Last posting by Orley, Dec 31 3:57 pm

Dog Health > The responsibilities of a stud owner...

Ferris

Butterfly Ears

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 11:02am PST 
I think the stud owner’s responsibilities generally include:

You have to provide room and board for the bitch and keep her safe!

You have to do several mattings. It may depend on the breed, but usually every other day. You have to make sure that during the matting, the bitch is safe so that may mean holding her and making sure she doesn’t try to break a tie.

Often, you may have to pick her up and drop her off from the airport.

Lastly, you have to assure that the pups are being sold on a proper contract.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Henry, Jul 2 10:02 am

Small Dogs > question for papillon owners
Ferris

Butterfly Ears

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 12:29pm PST 
A whitening shampoo is really only for occasional use. It dries the coat making it more breakable and easier to tangle. Go with a more moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. People love Vellus products for Paps or Chris Christensen.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ferris, May 10 12:29 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > grout

Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 12:24pm PST 
Only real way is to seal the grout. You are supposed to do it annually. As long as it isn't sealed, it will get dirty.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Papllon Gang, May 10 12:24 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Stuffed animal toys

Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 12:21pm PST 
I wash all their toys every month with a non toxic detergent. Usually the squeakers survive but if they don't, I just toss them. Yeah, it costs money but I can't stand dirty toys. Pet Edge has cheap toys.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Papllon Gang, May 10 12:21 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > What does your dog smell like?

Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 12:19pm PST 
Being that she is a Papillon, she should be odorless. My dogs will pick up that "outside" smell too if they are out for a while on a humid day. However, being bathed every 3 days means they usually smell like shampoo.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Molly, Aug 23 6:31 pm

Sports & Agility > Limping and competition in two weeks
Gabriel

Where's My- Frisbee??

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 12:17pm PST 
My personal position with my own dogs is that if they show any kind of lameness, I pull them from all competition and training until they are back to normal. If I even think my dogs are off, I pull them. Keep in mind, dogs always minimize how bad something hurts them. That means, if it hurts them a little, they won't show any signs (and I have wimpy dogs). It's in their nature not to complain. I will say that I have a couple 12 year olds and they are still active and competing.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gabriel, May 10 12:17 pm

(Page 1 of 49: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.