Postings by Bingley's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Dog Health > question for vet technitians on this site...
Bingley

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 8:15pm PST 
If you were lying in a hospital bed would you want to be taken care of by someone who "called themselves" a nurse or by a registered nurse? I have a college degree in veterinary technology, I passed a difficult national exam and my state boards, I have to reregister every year and take continuing education courses every year. Do you think someone who has done none of that should be allowed to call themself a veterinary technician?

This is the AVMA policy on Veterinary Technicians and Veterinary Assistants:
http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/veterinary_technology .asp

This is the Wisconsin State Board definition of Veterinary Technicians:

"Veterinary technician means a person duly certified by the examining board to work under the direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian.
Unlicensed assistant means a person not holding a license, permit or certificate issued by the board."

I may not be paid a lot but I take pride in taking care of my patients and having a foundation of education and training upon which I can expand my skills.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Luna, Jul 16 2:36 am

Dog Health > Post dental extraction
Bingley

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 7:15pm PST 
Yes, keep giving the tramadol. It isn't good to put up with pain whether you are a human or a dog. It takes a toll on the body and delays healing. The whining may just be from dysphoria which the drug can cause and should go away in a couple of days. You can talk to your vet about an NSAID. They can be given at the same time as tramadol.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Jul 11 12:38 am

Dog Health > question for vet technitians on this site...

Bingley

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 7:12pm PST 
I'm probably going to start an argument but I'll go ahead anyway and say that if you haven't graduated from an accredited program and passed the national exam, you aren't a veterinary technician, you are an animal assistant.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Luna, Jul 16 2:36 am

Dog Health > Pug, difficulty walking

Bingley

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 3:25pm PST 
I think you should bring Pugsley to a neurologist. This does not sound like an anesthetic adverse event. It could be, but normally they don't show neurologic signs like this.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Pugsly, Jan 2 12:31 pm

Pug > Luxating Patella Surgery, terrified about anesthesia

Bingley

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 6:30pm PST 
There are always some risks to anesthesia but they are generally smaller than the risk of letting the condition go on without treatment. Your dog is probably in pain. Do you want him to continue to live a life in pain? Whenever people have concerns about anesthesia, I always recommend that they speak to their vet and voice their concerns. If your vet can't calm your fears to some extent, then it might be time to find another vet you can trust.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 5 6:03 am

Dog Health > Complications from Spaying?
Bingley

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 6:23pm PST 
There are many things we look at when we decide which anesthetic protocol to use and at what doses. The dog's demeaner can, absolutely, influence our decisions. For one thing, we don't want the dog struggling and stressed while we place an IV and induce. Secondly, a wound up dog typically requires more drugs to induce. A good preop can reduce the amount of induction drugs. At this point we can't blame the seizures on the anesthesia. We don't know what drugs were used and at what dosages. The seizures could be totally unrelated to the anesthesia or your dog could have a medical condition that causes seizures and the anesthesia lowered the seizure threshold.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Olive, Dec 23 6:56 am

Dog Health > We need your advice and thoughts- Pyometra on a 14 year old with Cushings

Bingley

Barked: Wed May 11, '11 6:56pm PST 
I'd take her to a hospital affiliated with a vet school or a good board-certified surgeon. There isn't any real reason not to attempt the surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Jun 5 8:23 pm

Dog Health > Acepromazine- does it affect mental state, or just physical control?

Bingley

Barked: Wed Mar 30, '11 1:23pm PST 
" the bigger your dog is (like when you start getting into giant breeds) you'll hear that you should NEVER use ace because it can kill them."

That's not true. We use acepromazine quite a bit in giant breeds undergoing anesthesia. We just cut back our per lb dose like we do with most of our other anesthesia drugs.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Henry Miller, Mar 31 8:14 am

Dog Health > Acepromazine- does it affect mental state, or just physical control?

Bingley

Barked: Tue Mar 29, '11 3:18pm PST 
Does acepromazine affect mental state? You've asked a question that isn't easily answered here. The answer involves a discussion of effects on serotonin levels and release of stress hormones. In some situations acepromazine acts nicely to calm animals in others, not so well.

You aren't going to make a difference in how your dog reacts to nail clipping by just giving a drug (unless you totally knock him out). You have to use behavior modification along with drugs. Dogs can "break through" any sedative drugs. I have been bitten by dogs that looked completely asleep.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Henry Miller, Mar 31 8:14 am

Dog Health > Pre-anesthetic bloodwork question
Bingley

Barked: Mon Mar 28, '11 2:31pm PST 
If the bloodwork values were all within normal range and you haven't had any other symptoms of disease since they were taken, your old blood work will be fine for the neuter.

Metacam is not safer than Rimadyl. It was touted as such when it came out but it turns out that isn't necessarily true. Reactions to NSAIDs are very individual and impossible to predict. One dog may have a reaction to Rimadyl but not to Metacam while another the opposite.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bingley, Mar 28 2:31 pm

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.