Postings by Cali's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 48: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Hunting breeds
Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 1:16pm PST 
GSPs are fantastic dogs. Very versatile, affectionate, loyal, lots of personality, and lots of energy. As long as you give them the exercise they need, they are very easy to live with and train. I haven't hunted with any other breed, but the GSP is a great hunter. All of ours have hunted purely on instinct. They turn into hunting machines in the field, but they don't lose their desire to please you. Can't say enough about the breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Elsa, Sep 26 11:49 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Portugese Pointer
Zane

Zane the brain!

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 12:01pm PST 
Zane is half Portuguese Pointer and half GSP. I found him on petfinder and had to have him when I found out he had PP in him. I've never met a purebred PP, but I've admired them for awhile. The comment someone posted above describes Zane perfectly...

"The Portuguese Pointer's affectionate nature is so intense that the Portuguese standard describes it as sometimes "inappropriate and inconvenient"."
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zane, Aug 23 12:01 pm

German Shorthaired Pointer > First time owner of German Shorthair pointers

Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 11:54am PST 
I'm going to refer you to the general forums since this is more of a housebreaking issue then a breed issue. Check out some forums and articles in the Behavior & Training sections of Dogster. They are very helpful. Whatever you do, DO NOT rub their noses in it!

GSPs are not an easy breed, especially when you have more than one! They require A LOT of exercise, attention, and mental stimulation. If you do not spend time with them, they are prone to becoming destructive. They are also great escape artists. So if left to the backyard with nothing to do, they may dig under, jump, or climb fences and take off. Unfortunately, we see A LOT of GSPs surrendered to rescue because first time owners had no idea the exercise requirements of the breed. Please do some more research and use the resources here on Dogster to your advantage.

Good luck and thanks for rescuing these two!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Callie (Calliope), Sep 22 6:36 pm

German Shorthaired Pointer > Hunting Style Question: Do GSP's flush game?

Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 3:50pm PST 
GSPs are not "suppose" to flush game. They are meant to point and retrieve. However, you can definitely train them to flush if that's what you'd like. I've had several GSPs and most of them tend to flush before they are properly trained. I've only had one GSP that will instinctively hold the point and not flush. So I don't think it would be too hard to train.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cali, May 28 3:50 pm

German Shorthaired Pointer > other gsp owners advice needed

Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 4:02pm PST 
What kind of dog food are you feeding? In my experience, diet is the first step in getting good skin/coat. Also, you can supplement with some omega 3's. Just be sure to ask your vet for the right dosage. If switching to a better diet and supplements don't work, your dog could have allergies (environmental and/or food). One of my GSPs was allergic to dust, grass, and a bunch of other things. The only thing that helped was weekly oatmeal baths, high quality diet, and supplements. We eventually went to allergy shots.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 29 7:40 am

Behavior & Training > Treat Bags
Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 10:54am PST 
I LOVE the Premier treat pouch. It has a large water resistant pouch for treats (which stays open or stays closed), a front pocket where I keep my poop bags and clicker, and a small zipper pocket on back big enough for a key or business cards. It also has a ring where you can attach your keys. It adjusts so you can wear it around your waist. Definitely beats the small pouches that clip onto your pocket or belt (I have a hard time getting my hand in and out of those).

https://www.premier.com/store/Products.aspx?cid=2&pid=5
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Shiloh ITD, Feb 1 9:26 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Bloodhound Breeder

Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 4:02pm PST 
Although I like most hounds, we are definitely set on a Bloodhound. Thanks for the info.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cali, Jan 3 4:02 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Bloodhound Breeder

Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 2:27pm PST 
I'm looking for a reputable bloodhound breeder. I prefer a bloodhound from working lines if possible, but not a must. I don't care much for the excessive droopiness you see with some show lines. I'd like a breeder that works their dogs because I may be interested in doing some tracking in the future. Also, a breeder that does all the necessary health testing for the breed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cali, Jan 3 4:02 pm

Behavior & Training > what is OCD like in dogs and how do you tell it's not the breed or boredom?

Cali

CRAZY Cali!

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 2:53pm PST 
What type of odd behaviors are you seeing? I have a house full of pointers and when they aren't exercised, some OCD like behaviors come out. Sometimes I'll get a foster that does strange things, but once they start getting the proper exercise and learn the daily routine, those behaviors go away.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cali, Aug 5 2:53 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Ever second guess your mutt's breeds? Also, OH MY GOSH ABNER?!
Zane

Zane the brain!

Barked: Fri Jul 22, '11 5:48pm PST 
When I adopted Zane, the "breeder" that surrendered him and his siblings said they were German Shorthaired Pointer and Portuguese Pointer. I could definitely see both in Zane. However, I was still skeptical, since Portuguese Pointers are pretty rare. A few months after I adopted him, a few more black/white GSP puppies were dropped off. I figured it had to be from the same "breeder" who brought Zane there. It made me wonder if maybe Zane was just a solid black GSP. Then two adult GSPs were dropped off. One was black/white and looked a lot like Zane. I emailed the shelter to see if this GSP was surrendered by the same owner. They confirmed that he was. I'm convinced that the black/white GSP must be Zane's dad as they look a lot alike. Sometimes I still wonder if there is Portuguese Pointer in Zane or if he's just a solid black GSP. Both are rare, so who knows. What do you guys think?

Random Portuguese Pointer

Zane's dad?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by S'N'S Geronimo's Revenge, Aug 14 7:32 am

(Page 1 of 48: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.