Postings by Kreuzer's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Behavior & Training > Dogs faught - what to do next?
Onyx

I need my- cuddles!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 9:11am PST 
Brutus -- Starting yesterday afternoon I had them playing in the yard again, well, they didn't seem to interested in each other actually, they both just wanted to follow me around, but were bumping up against each other, sitting and laying beside each other. They played a little bit, just for a couple minutes, but it was growly and snarly...but they were doing playbows so I think that's a good sign.

Lily, Bo -- Yes, my shepherd and pit bull I had in the past would play like a big snarling, barking tornado, and the pit bull would often come away with mouthfulls of the shepherds fur, but it was still obviously playing... this just really didn't seem like playing to me... I could be wrong but it was just a magnitude I've never seen between any of my dogs before... I mean, hopefully it was just some really over the top, roudy playing? The fact that they needed to be pulled off of one another just worried me, usually I can get them to stop playing with a clap of my hands as well, but this time they just completely zoned me out. They were reared up, chest to chest...

Charlie Pete -- They're getting supervised time together, but so far just outside -- I will try inside later today I think, with one on leash (probably Bart, as for the first 2 weeks he was here, I had him tethered to me, and so he's very used to it). If I can't watch them though, I don't have them together, right now.

Matilda, Fred -- I'm feeling more confident now and able to relax... just kind of getting in the mindset that I'll assume it was a one time thing and that they won't react to one another, so I hope that works for them. They do have a couple toys out, as Onyx would rather play with toys if he has the option, rather than play physically (he'll often grab a toy and run up to Bart to get Bart to play tug with him, or they'll take turns flinging the toy down the hallway and chasing it together... is this alright?). There was actually no toys in the living room at the time of the incident either. I feed them seperately, but they share the same water bucket. I'll try feeding them in completely different areas though, where they can't even see each other (and don't have the opportunity to try sneaking into the other's dish). Both are neutered, though Onyx was done very late. I already do Nilif with them... no freebies for anything, haha, they both have to sit and wait at all doorways in the house, have to sit or down for their food, toys, all that. I don't divvy up their entire meals for rewarding behavior throughout the day, but they've caught on well that they need to do certain things before getting things from us. Both of them seem to have ran their old households singlehandedly (stealing food, jumping on people, furnature,etc.) but we haven't had any problems like that in our house with them.

Hercules -- Before they have been just fine when it comes to our food, they know that while we're eating dinner, tha'ts there time to go lay down at their beds (or in the living room). I'm wondering if it is food though, since now that I think about it, the only thing different I can think of is my boyfriend had just brought home a new bag of kibble and it was sitting in the corner of the living room, unopened... is it possible they got excited over that and one got posessive or something?... I'll definitely be a lot more careful when it comes to food.... I'm really starting to think it was the trigger now...

Thankyou so much everyone for your replies so far! It's very reassuring to know that others have had similar experiences and still managed to have a normal household back with some work on/alterations to what goes on.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, Jun 3 1:30 pm

Behavior & Training > Dogs faught - what to do next?
Onyx

I need my- cuddles!

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 2:30pm PST 
I'm still a little shaken up about what happened yesterday evening...

The background:

I've had Onyx Since early last November, he's almost two and a half years old now, and about 60 pounds. Has had many playdates with other dogs and gotten along fine.
I've had Bart for about a month and a half now, he had a couple homes before me, but in the most recent had been living with another dog just fine. He hasn't had any real play dates yet, but while passing other dogs on walks he didn't seem very reactive. He's going to be ten months soon and is probably around 90 pounds?.

Onyx and Bart were a little unsure of each other at first but after the first night, they were inseperable. They would play all day long, they would whine at the door, waiting, if the other went out ffor a bathroom break, they would sleep beside each other. They've yipped/barked at eachother once in awhile, usually if one stole a kibble from the other's dish, or if one keeps hastling the other when the other doesn't want to play, but that's it.

Yesterday we had been playing in the yard together fine, going in and out for water breaks and the like... I had brought Bart in from a bathroom break in the evening, Onyx was already inside. They took turns at the water bucket in the bathroom for a little while then went and laid in the living room. I have no idea what exactly happened because I had my back to them while I was getting dinner for myself in the kitchen, but next thing I knew the two of them were fighting, like... all out, biting at eachother's faces and necks, growling and snarling louder than I've ever heard either of them before. My boyfriend came running in as soon as he heard the racket and we each went for one of the dog's collars, they stopped after he yelled at them... Tried lunging at each other again and then I went and put Bart outside (we were closer to the backdoor)... My boyfriend took Onyx for a truck ride since he was headed out anyways. Neither of them actually had any wounds that I could find.

This was nothing like they're usual playing (where they kind of just roll on the floor with eachother, chewing on eachother's faces and groaning... This was, as I said, startlingly loud and fast, and there's no way I would've been able to stop them by myself I fear... The whole thing probably lasted only 30 seconds tops.

I have kept them seperated since, either one inside and one outside, or just in seperate rooms... They saw eachother this morning a little, I had Bart on a line attached to a tree and Onyx on leash, Onyx seemed to kind of ignore Bart but Bart was whining at Onyx and jumping around...

I'm pretty afraid now, I just don't know what to make of this? What should I do? I obviously don't want this to happen again and I don't want to have to keep them seperated, but I'm scared of risking it, even having one on leash....

Thanks for any help.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, Jun 3 1:30 pm

Dog Health > What might this be?

Kreuzer

All your cats- are belong to me

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 9:48am PST 
This isn't really too serious of a question, as it happened late last summer, but it's had me curious so I thought I'd ask.

Last August we had a dog show up on our front step after a really stormy night. He was curled up and scared... and appeared to be really really old, lots of grey on him (appeared to be a completeley black, large to medium framed dog otherwise), very, very skinny, even where there should be muscles, there was just bone... He moved very slowly and stiffly, had to be carried up and down stairs, and had great difficulty in laying down or standing up on his own. I wetted kibble for him even as he didn't seem to be able to chew hard kibble.

Long story short, we eventually found his owners that evening -- both of their dogs had bolted out the door during the storm, and only their "younger" one came back.

We were really surprised to hear them mention that this dog is only 6 years old. Asking them about why he appeared to be so old, they said that he has a degenerative condition or something... He grew up normally for about the first 7 - 8 months of his life, big healthy muscular dog (Rottweiler x Lab), and then all of a sudden lost all it's fat and muscle and became very weak, to the point where he needed to push himself off the floor using his nose.

I've never really hread about anything like this before, so was wondering if someone hear might know more about a condition like this, just to satisfy my curiosity!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 1 10:15 am

Other Barks & Woofs > Suddenly Alergic or something else?

Kreuzer

Barked: Fri May 1, '09 9:16am PST 
Is it possible to become suddenly allergic to a particular dog?

This is my situation:

I brought home a new dog a week and a half ago, a Bull Mastiff/Rottweiler cross, and whenever I'm around him, I'll go into random coughing fits, and occasionally get a bit of a runny nose. This only happens if he's right here with me, if he leaves the room, or goes out into the yard, my symptoms start clearing up immediately. Places he spends a lot of time at don't bother me though, like I could go lay in his bed myself and it wouldn't bother me at all.

I'm not sure if this is an allergy, or if there's something on him that is doing this to me.... because the fellow I got the dog from, his whole house made my eyes and sinuses burn, when I was there I was coughing and sneezing and blowing my nose constantly (though most others were unaffected? They thought I was crazy).

Also, while I never had a dog growing up, I've been around a lot of dogs, friend's dogs, stray dogs... when I was a teenager I volunteered at the local shelter and worked with the dogs there, I've gone to training classes, I've personally owned a shepehrd, lab, and pit bull, I've spent lots of time playing with different friend's Bull Mastiffs and Rottweilers... I've never had any reaction in any of these situations.

I'm hoping to get him to a bathing facility in town soon, as he's too big for our bathtub, and it's still too cold to bath him outside, but I've found that rubbing him down with a wet towel helps...

Any ideas of what could be going on here? I'm getting an allergy test done for the first time in a couple weeks, so maybe something will come up on that? All I know is there's no way I'm giving this boy up, he's such a sweetie! (I'm his third home, not counting the home he was born in, and he's only 8.5 months old) If I have to take allergy meds whenever I'm going to be around him lots (holistic ones perhaps?), I'll do it.

Thanks everyone!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kreuzer, May 1 9:16 am

Dog Health > Lost info on vaccines, etc.?

Kreuzer

Barked: Sat Apr 25, '09 1:28pm PST 
I guess this sort of fits into this section... I hope so anyways!

I recently adopted a Rottweiler x Mastiff puppy (8 months old), from a fellow who was moving to do a lot of travelling (I have no means of getting ahold of him for awhile now -- and I don't know him that well to begin with). He said that the dog has a microchip and is up to date on all vaccinations, but with moving and such, he looked but wasn't able to find the paperwork. Unfortunately (stupid me) didn't get the name of the vet office he dealt with, or the microchip company etc... It was a very spir of the moment occurance really, though I don't suspect him to be lying about the information, as the dog was well kept and in great shape (clean, nails trimmed, healthy, well behaved for a puppy, etc.).

Is there any way to find the microchip information and have the dog's info changed to my own info -- without it appearing like I stole the dog? I'll check, but I think he has a tattoo as well.

Also, short of doing titer testing, is there any way I'd also be able to track down his vaccine information to get proof of vaccination -- I was thinking of bringing him to obedience classes to proof the training he already has, but they require up-to-date vaccinations.

I'll be the third home for this guy, so he's gone through 2 name changes, and I'm not sure in which home the fella' had his vet work done... This is starting to sound like a lost cause, but perhaps getting some of the microchip info could lead to being able to track down the vaccine info?

Anyways, just thought I'd try asking, it can't hurt, anyways!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Apr 26 7:07 am

Behavior & Training > Obsessing over ATVs
Kreuzer

Barked: Sun May 25, '08 9:54pm PST 
Haha, I'm sure he'd love that sort of thing (if his head didn't explode from all the excitement? Hehe).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kreuzer, May 25 9:54 pm

Behavior & Training > I Need Help on Kennel Training

Kreuzer

Barked: Sun May 25, '08 9:40pm PST 
I'll second the suggestion of feeding in the crate, no bowl, and the really amazingly good treat in the kennel idea too.

Consider trying out a wire crate though, this combined with a half-frozen hunk of ham, placed tauntingly at the very back of the crate (irresistable, as far as Kreuz is concerned) is what it took for Kreuz to really like his crate. He'd refuse to have anything to do with the airline style crates, but has never had an issue with the wire ones.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Charlie, May 26 1:44 am

Kreuzer

Barked: Sun May 25, '08 9:18pm PST 
As far as distance goes, he'll start reacting as soon as he can spot them, so however far away that is in the situation...

However, if it's one of my boyfriend's ATVs, he knows the exact sound and will react to the sound alone.

Since we've got ATVs handy, I have a lot of opportunities to work with him on this, I do take him out regularily when my boyfriend is working on the ATVs, adding in the stipulation that we'll move closer to it if he's containing himself and being quiet, and moving away when he starts getting to excited... I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, but with it I've gotten him to hold a down stay beside an idling ATV... we just need to work on the revving ones and then the moving ones now! (the hard part BOLL)

(Oh and to be clear, he ignores them entirely if they're not turned on, acts like they're not even there.)

PS" I'm loving Neil Sattin's website so far! I already do some of the things he suggests, but it will be a lot of fun working on the rest.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kreuzer, May 25 9:54 pm

Kreuzer

Barked: Sun May 25, '08 8:30pm PST 
Thanks! I'll definitely look up that site right now and hopefully get some input from Indy and Summer too. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kreuzer, May 25 9:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Jumping dogs driving me crazy!
Kreuzer

Barked: Sun May 25, '08 8:23pm PST 
Glad you liked the idea smile Let us know how it goes!

The other thing I can think of is if you're yard is fenced, instead of going out the door, you could go to the other side of the fence and throw it from there, then go into the yard via a gate or something, so you don't get mauled right away...this is all just speculation since I'm not sure what your yard is like though.

Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Misschief , May 27 12:47 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.