Postings by Tavar (Al Hara's Tawari)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Azawakh > Hohooo !! Anyone here ?
Tavar (Al- Hara's- Tawari)

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 9:17pm PST 
Hello pretty one, you are not alone!! There are a very few of us.....maybe a dozen on Dogster. We're actually curious as what it's like to have an Azawakh as a puppy; Zak and Tavar came to us as adults.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by V'Auda ak Ilaman, Sep 26 12:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > BRAVO Raw Burgers?? New to Raw!

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 8:37pm PST 
We Posted thid in Food & Nutrition not realizing Dogster had a forum dedicated to raw.......

We've been making big changes with our foods as of late. Frustrated with Canidae and feeling we could do even better than EVO with a raw diet; we started Tavar on BRAVO Raw Burgers in January. The change we've seen in her is amazing!! Her muscles pop, her weight is fantastic and her energy level...way increased! Keep in mind we're talking about a dog with hypo-thryroidism.

Our question….Does anyone here have any experience with BRAVO Raw Burgers? We've been rotating between beef and turkey with no problems at all. We just want to make sure this is a good choice...we're new to raw but our success has been such that we'll likely switch our other dog Zak over as well.

Any thoughts on BRAVO?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Seattle, Feb 29 11:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > BRAVO Raw Burgers?? New to RAW!

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 8:15pm PST 
We've been making big changes with our foods as of late. Frustrated with Canidae and feeling we could do even better than EVO with a raw diet; we started Tavar on BRAVO Raw Burgers in January. The change we've seen in her is amazing!! Her muscles pop, her weight is fantastic and her energy level...way increased! Keep in mind we're talking about a dog with hypo-thryroidism.

Our question….Does anyone here have any experience with BRAVO Raw Burgers? We've been rotating between beef and turkey with no problems at all. We just want to make sure this is a good choice...we're new to raw but our success has been such that we'll likely switch our other dog Zak over as well.

Any thoughts on BRAVO?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jillian, Mar 1 12:07 pm

Food & Nutrition > Is there something different about Canidae lately?

Zak (Jakuba- Zakara 'n- Simoon)

Gads, What a- Monsta!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 29, '08 7:09pm PST 
YES!!! Something changed, we're absolutely convinced!

We're so happy this thread was posted!! We've been feeding Zak Canidae for quite a while with excellent results. However, back in November we noticed that despite the fact he was getting the same amount of exercise and same food portion he started gaining weight. Not only that, his stool sizes suddenly became much larger and grainy and his coat also became dry. Thinking maybe his metabolism was changing with age, we went on extra walks and slightly reduced his food portion. He didn't gain any more weight but he didn't lose the weight he gained. Odd, this was something new! We pulled Zak off and started feeding him EVO (Tavar had been on EVO for about a year at this point). The weight came off immediately, his coat looked beautiful and his stools were smaller.

We agree that something has changed with Canidae; some type of grain has been added. We really liked this food too!

Thanks for posting this, we feel vindicated
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rudy, Mar 1 9:43 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > How do you know if you need a sweater?

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '07 10:30pm PST 
Well, we both wear coats, but that's because we're sighthounds and have very low body fat % which makes us volnerable to cold.

If I were you, I would wear a sweater.

Form and function my dear.......form and function.

.......and don't forget, plaid is making a comback!! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Krash, Dec 1 3:04 pm

Behavior & Training > Rushing the Door......

Gads, What a- Monsta!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '07 6:43pm PST 
Thanks for all the advice! We walk Zak and Tavar on average at least an hour twice a day (once in the morning and again in the evening). We live in an apartment/condo so we don't have a fenced in yard. As a result we found a terrific fenced baseball field to run in and if we're desperate there's a tennis court about twenty yards from our back door. Hubby had actually run him that afternoon for a good 45 minutes. Zak has NEVER attempted to rush the door before, although I think I might know why he decided to give it a try this time. I got home late and he saw me near the door which means "Let's Play". We were VERY fortunate because in the commotion Tavar almost got out as well. The odd thing is that up until this happened, for a sighthound Zak has always had excellent recall. The problem I'm now facing is that for the last couple of days he's been very clingy, more so than usual, which makes even opening the bathroom door difficult. I don't know if it has anything to do with the other night?

We'll work on sit stay and maybe work on what might be seperation anxiety. The more I think on it, the more I wonder if this might be the root of the problem. He get's plenty of excercise so I don't think that's the problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zak (Jakuba Zakara 'n Simoon), Nov 1 6:43 pm

Behavior & Training > Oooohhh, the Evil Pizza Man!

Gads, What a- Monsta!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 4:58pm PST 
BOL.......We're completely on the flip side! When there's a knock on the door we dance because we know it pretty much means food, a little begging and then treats!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zak (Jakuba Zakara 'n Simoon), Oct 31 4:58 pm

Behavior & Training > Rushing the Door......

Gads, What a- Monsta!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 4:36pm PST 
OK, long story short.........For the first time ever Zak rushed the door and escaped a couple of days ago. By the grace of GOD he got home in one piece. Here's the problem, he's tried it three more times since. I don't get it, we haven't had any abrupt changes in the last few days so I have idea why he's suddenly doing this. Any ideas on why and also how to get him to stop?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Zak (Jakuba Zakara 'n Simoon), Nov 1 6:43 pm

Food & Nutrition > Yogurt with dog food

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 6:22am PST 
I have Crohn's disease; lactose intolerance as well as a myriad of other digestive issues go hand and hand with this condition. And yes, I have been tested with a hydrogen breath test as well as more..."invasive" procedures. So, as I said before, goatsmilk and goatsmilk yogurt work for me AND I have my doctors go ahead. In the interest of keeping this conversation about yogurt and the canine diet, I would suggest you PM me with any personal questions.

Regarding our dogs, another reason that we feed our dogs goatsmilk and goatsmilk yogurt is the fact that it has been a staple in the traditional Azawakh diet for a millennia. The Tuareg (a North African tribe) diet for the Azawakh consists of a mixture of goatsmilk, millet and dates. Since Tavar and Zak are only a generation removed from their native African environment, they are very sensitive to western foods. With Zak in particular, we were having problems with a lot of gas and loose stools. We tried regular plain yogurt with no results. After we introduced goatsmilk to their diets we were amazed by the results! It actually allowed us a slight flexibility to try new foods.

Anyway, this is our experience with goatsmilk. If plain yogurt works for you then that’s terrific, stick with it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tavar (Al Hara's Tawari), Oct 31 6:22 am

Food & Nutrition > Yogurt with dog food

Queen of Her- Realm

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '07 3:38pm PST 
As a lactose intolerant individual, I will only eat goatsmilk. Everything I have read and experienced has been terrific! I believe the biggest difference between goatsmilk and cowsmilk is that goatsmilk breaksdown easier thus making it easier to digest. It might well be more expensive, but as my only real option it's well worth it!

I've pasted some information that explains the differences between goat and cowsmilk.

Different fat.
Goat's milk contains around ten grams of fat per eight ounces compared to 8 to 9 grams in whole cow's milk, and it's much easier to find lowfat and non-fat varieties of cow's milk than it is to purchase lowfat goat's milk. Unlike cow's milk, goat's milk does not contain agglutinin. As a result, the fat globules in goat's milk do not cluster together, making them easier to digest. Like cow's milk, goat's milk is low in essential fatty acids, because goats also have EFA-destroying bacteria in their ruminant stomachs. Yet, goat milk is reported to contain more of the essential fatty acids linoleic and arachnodonic acids, in addition to a higher proportion of short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids. These are easier for intestinal enzymes to digest.

Different protein.
Goat milk protein forms a softer curd (the term given to the protein clumps that are formed by the action of your stomach acid on the protein), which makes the protein more easily and rapidly digestible. Theoretically, this more rapid transit through the stomach could be an advantage to infants and children who regurgitate cow's milk easily. Goat's milk may also have advantages when it comes to allergies. Goat's milk contains only trace amounts of an allergenic casein protein, alpha-S1, found in cow's milk. Goat's milk casein is more similar to human milk, yet cow's milk and goat's milk contain similar levels of the other allergenic protein, beta lactoglobulin. Scientific studies have not found a decreased incidence of allergy with goat's milk.

Different minerals.
Although the mineral content of goat's milk and cow's milk is generally similar, goat's milk contains 13 percent more calcium, 25 percent more vitamin B-6, 47 percent more vitamin A, 134 percent more potassium, and three times more niacin. It is also four times higher in copper. Goat's milk also contains 27 percent more of the antioxidant selenium than cow's milk. Cow's milk contains five times as much vitamin B-12 as goat's milk and ten times as much folic acid (12 mcg. in cow's milk versus 1 mcg. for goat's milk per eight ounces with an RDA of 75-100 mcg. for children). The fact that goat's milk contains less than ten percent of the amount of folic acid contained in cow's milk means that it must be supplemented with folic acid in order to be adequate as a formula or milk substitute for infants and toddlers, and popular brands of goat's milk may advertise "supplemented with folic acid" on the carton.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tavar (Al Hara's Tawari), Oct 31 6:22 am

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.