Postings by Belle's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 469: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > How much do you spend on raw?
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 3:36am PST 
I keep flagging his posts, but I don't know if there are even any mods around anymore frown

I see we've moved on from propagating myths and blatant lies to shaming owners who spend money on their dogs, though. So that's lovely. Especially comeing from an alleged vet tech.

If 3 people flag, the post will disappear.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Pepper,Little Duke, KoaKoa, Fri 1:07 am

Raw Food Diet > How much do you spend on raw?
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '14 12:17pm PST 
Two dogs, 42 and 45 lb, eat 3/4lb daily (plus 2oz on an active day).

Prices are always relative to what is available to you. I aim to spend under $3/lb for anything I buy. Lately there's been a price hike across the board and I'm struggling. Considering seeing if they can't handle an occasional chicken quarter to keep cost down.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Pepper,Little Duke, KoaKoa, Fri 1:07 am

Dog Health > Does anyone know what this lump could be?

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '14 7:49am PST 
Deramaxx is just an NSAID. It's not a prostate-specific drug. I've never heard of it being approved for human use.

Personally, I would be uncomfortable with a plan of "let's throw steriods at it and see if it changes" for a senior, intact dog with a swollen prostate. It sounds like the vet does want follow up, though.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Tue 12:52 pm

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '14 7:47am PST 
Deramaxx is just an NSAID. It's not a prostate-specific drug. I've never heard of it being approved for human use.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Tue 12:52 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Raw feeders are spoiled. Homecookers are the true MVPs.

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 8:42pm PST 
Lol! I'm late to this party, but yeah, 100% this.

I bought a giant wok for cooking meat quickly. It can handle about 6 lb at a time. If I had time I would fill crock pots (they're super easy to find second hand). Veg is easier, because you can just fill the entire oven with sweet potatoes or squash or whatever. I had to cook his greens too, to reduce acid production, so I had a giant stock pot. The only thing I could never find supersized was a blender!

Canned salmon and mackerel, and pumpkin and no-salt beets from Walmart were stock piled in case I ran out of food.

I hope you've found a solid system since this was posted!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Mon 8:42 pm

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 8:26pm PST 
Old dogs can get all sorts of lumps and bumps. Some cancers do have a typical look to them, but others don't, and looks alone can be decieving. It would be very, very odd for cancer to move from the prostate to the lip, but it isn't impossible. Most likely they are separate issues. It's best to follow up with the vet either way.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Tue 12:52 pm

Grooming > Recommend a everyday brush?

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 8:14pm PST 
Seconding a curry comb. Anything metal could irritate the skin if used daily.

You could try a shedding blade, if you're just going to do a quick once-over. I've seen them strip undercoat and cause irritation if overused, but they are very effective.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Mon 8:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > Two 9 year olds and one 1 year old...should I switch them to raw feeding?

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 8:02pm PST 
Ugh. Seriously, people. It's right at the top of the page:

"This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!"

If you don't like it, GTFO.

As to the OP... The question is so vague there's really no way to answer. There's no reason NOT to go raw, if you want to. Certainly switch off Pedigree either way. There are a plethora of other foods on the market, including canned, and freeze dried. There are premade raw diets if you don't want to DIY, although you will pay more for them. There is also home cooking if neither of those appeals to you.

Salmonella is not as rampant as some people would have you believe. Even when it is present, as carnivores, dogs are built to handle it. They have highly acidic stomachs and very short digestive tracts. I've been feeding raw for over 8 years and actively involved in the raw feeding community during that time. I don't know a single dog who has become sick from a raw diet. The two dogs I know who have contacted salmonella were both kibble fed dogs. One ate from a rotting deer carcass, the other ate a package of ground beef that fell out of a grocery bag and spent 36 hours in the car in July.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Thu 8:47 am

Raw Food Diet > New to feeding raw: loose stools with blood clots

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 7:51pm PST 
Ignore Jasper. He is woefully ignorant.

If your dogs are having crumbly stool, you're feeding too much bone. This is likely irritating his colon on the way out and triggering licking. It may have become behavioral too, depending on his personality. Some dogs are very prone to compulsive habits. Wearing the "cone of shame" or an alternative during down time may help.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Mon 7:51 pm

Raw Food Diet > Substituting?
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '14 7:42pm PST 
I've been feeding raw for over 8 years, including to a dog who already had severe health problems (kibble was literally killing him) and for two years with a chemo patient in the house. No one has ever gotten sick from it. Ever. Jasper is completely full of $h!t (or practices disgustingly unsanitary food handling habits).

Is it a bone issue? A lot of dogs don't understand how to eat a bone-in hunk of meat at first. Softer items like necks can really help in that regard.

If he'll eat bone-in red meat, I'd focus on that. You don't need chicken in a dogs diet. Premade is fine too, but its typically pretty expensive. I feed a lot of Bravo because it's easy for me to get, although lately I find it's got quite a bit of water weight per chub. I have fed Primal, Answers, Oma's Pride and Blue Ridge Beef, but they're difficult for me to come by. I have used other Stella & Chewy products but I don't have a raw supplier near me.

The big issue with premade is that it's not really made to add meat to. The sardine grind, for instance, is already perfectly balanced as far as bone content (dogs not used to fish may get diarrhea from the richness at first, too). Some Primal blends are actually low in bone and high in veg because they're supposed to supplement RMBs. Bravo's poultry blends can take some extra meat, but not a ton - I usually feed 8oz blend with 4oz meaty meat. It depends on the product you're using.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Thu 8:54 am

(Page 1 of 469: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.