Postings by Stormy's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 41: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Sports & Agility > CPE
Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 1:42pm PST 
Ive been to one CPE trial, but mostly because all of the other CPE trials Ive wanted to enter always fill up too quickly!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 9:19 pm

Sports & Agility > Choosing A Flotation Jacket
Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 1, '10 5:14pm PST 
I own two Ruffwear jackets. The Big Eddy and the K9 Float Coat I think it was called (they dont sell them anymore on the site). Both jackets are AWESOME! I have alot of Ruffwear products and they are always top quality (you get what you pay for!!) A friend of mine bought the Portage for her Pit/Lab mix, but I dont think she ever got around to using it.

My Float Coat (if you can find one on eBay or elsewhere) was for my 50lb Border Collie. I cant tell you HOW many times Ive used the nifty handle on top to lift him out of swimming pools, into boats, and just in general lifting him off his feet to show off the coat! Not a stretch or tear in the fabric, and that dog USES his coat!! He is constantly in the water.

My other dog has the Big Eddy coat, I preferred it over the Portage just on the looks and colors mostly but she is an 85lb Ridgeback so I wanted a coat that also LOOKED like it would hold a heavier dog. I can lift her no problems as well and it has come in handy on the many times we've had swimming lessons! lol

These coats dont have flimsy mesh or cheap buckles. They are WELL worth every penny!!! I will say another difference between Portage and Eddy coats is the Big Eddy comes with a little piece that you can coil up the extra strapping so it doesnt dangle beneath the dogs belly. The Portage/K9 Float do not have these but I simply sewed a small piece of elastic into a ring and slid it over the buckle and it holds down the flaps great!

Havent heard of any of the other ones, but I would highly reccommend these Ruffwear ones.

Heres a video of both coats. Yellow coat is Big Eddy/Red is K9 Float Coat.
http://www.youtube.com/rhodieridge#p/u/16/C0q1SXKsYZQ

Here s one of just Flip swimming. http://www.youtube.com/rhodieridge#p/u/14/6oG9CtQVBMU
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Stormy, Jun 1 5:14 pm

Sports & Agility > Uncropped Show Dogs?

Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Sun May 16, '10 11:09am PST 
I think I saw on some show that like one of the most winningest Boxers had uncropped ears. The owners said that he fit the standard SO exceptionally, that it overcame the stigma against uncropped boxers.
So it CAN be done, but you better have an exceptional specimen if you want to go up against the "typical, standard" boxers with cropped.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ch.Justa Roki Yama's Zorro, May 19 4:34 pm

Sports & Agility > Huskies doing agility

Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Sun May 16, '10 11:06am PST 
I know a lady who competes with Huskies. Ive seen her in the same weekend have perfect flawless great runs.. and runs when the "Husky" kicks in and cant get past jump 4 before they take off wandering, sniffing.. doing anything BUT agility!!

Silly Huskies... some things never change! lol
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 18 2:12 pm

Sports & Agility > AKC Agility Titles--Newbie Question...

Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Sun May 16, '10 11:01am PST 
Just send an email to the trial secretary and say you would like to move your dog from Novice A to Novice B classes for the upcoming trial. Usually you will need to include your dogs name, class moving from (Novice A Std/JWW), class moving to (Novice B Std/JWW). And they can help you if there are any issues. You are allowed to move up classes until about a week before the upcoming trial- usually the Monday before to allow for dogs who trial weekend to weekend to move up for the next weeks trial if need be.

The only difference between Novice A and B is that the "A" means YOU as a handler are a newbie and have never had a titled agility dog before. When you move to "B", everything as far as courses and scoring and all that is still the same, the "B" just indicates that you have achieved a title at the Novice level already. (To distinguish yourself from the newbies in case you do decide to remain in Novice for life!)

So since you have titled in Novice A already, you should write to the secretary and have them move you to Novice B. This would mean that your options for your next show are:

Novice B Std-Novice B JWW.
OR
Open Std-Novice B JWW.

Hope that clarifies it for you. Ive been there myself not too long ago!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Forest AAD AX AXJ CA CGC, May 16 3:32 pm

Sports & Agility > Could we do it?
Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Mon Feb 15, '10 10:29pm PST 
Malanois are AWESOME agility dogs, their work drive and agility make them great in that sport. Huskies on the other hand, their independant personalities will give you some work to do. But, I know plenty of agility Huskies, and with a mix, you never know which end of the spectrum he will be at until you try. But "Can We Do It?" Well... that depends on the "it" and your dog but ANY dog can be trained to do ANY sport.

I would reccommend, watching some videos of the sports you are interested in on YouTube, and look at both beginner and expert videos for each sport as we all will eventually have to progress and you should know whats expected at the higher levels as well.

If you can find any local events in your area, or even training schools, stop in for classes to watch and see if that peaks your interest in any one sport. We all would love to do everything with our dogs, but just like Olympic athletes, you only get to be the very best by singling out one (MAYBE 2) sports and putting 100% into it.

But, first steps first. You dont even have the dog yet, if you do even get him. While its great that you are thinking ahead.. you have to realize that it will be YEARS of solid training before you even start competing! That said, if you have competition in mind, for any sport a great basic obedience class is a good foundation for the dog to learn manners, and basic commands, as well as socialization, so I would at least start there.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Feb 17 10:22 am

Sports & Agility > Show Dog names?

Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Sat Feb 13, '10 2:58pm PST 
Stormy's registered name is Olympus Brown Eyed Girl O'Rvrds

Olympus is the kennel I got her from, the kennel that owns her dad and 1/2 owns her mom. The name was picked out when I got her.
Brown Eyed Girl of course came from the litter's "SONG" theme. I happen to love that song and a Ridgeback also happens to have brown eyes so that was a great fit for her breed.
O'Rvrds is an abbreviated form of "Of Riveroads". Riveroads is the kennel that her mother (and she) is 1/2 owned by.

Flip's registered name is Flip's Black N White Inferno. We had free reign with his name as we adopted him as a stray. He's a black and white Border Collie, so I chose to put that into his name but funk up the "AND" a little bit so it flows better. Inferno is a reference to my boyfriend, whos dog he really is, because he is a firefighter. So for awhile I was throwing around Flip's Spontaneous Combustion, or .. Raging Inferno, since Flip is always raging around at 100mph like BCs do, but I settled on a mixture of a little bit of everything about him instead.

Pretty straightforward I think.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Kody, Aug 11 7:56 pm

Sports & Agility > Finding competitions and classes

Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Sat Feb 13, '10 2:46pm PST 
Well, for Conformation shows, go to AKC.org and go through their Event Search. You can search for events in any or multiple states, and any event you choose.

There are also specialty sites for each sport.. dont know all of them but a few are

Conformation: http://www.onofrio.com/index.html
Agility: http://www.agilityevents.net/index.php?page=Events

You might also want to check the pages for local clubs in your area as they may have schedules posted on their sites. I would help further but I dont know where you live.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Gio, Feb 14 2:02 pm

Sports & Agility > UGH...I miss showing dogs =[

Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Sun Feb 7, '10 7:43pm PST 
I just think its funny you guys are all jumping on her for not trying and giving up, when she said she WAS doing Jr Showmanship- she DOES have experience showing, so its not like shes writing it off just on hearsay!

Anyway, opinions are opinions. Everyones got one. Brush it off and just focus on doing what you want to do with your dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 10 9:56 pm

Sports & Agility > UGH...I miss showing dogs =[
Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 9:58pm PST 
Well I think instead of just saying "I want I want I want"... actually PICK a sport, whether thats conformation showing or agility or rally.. and hop to! A friend of mine is now 18 but shes been showing dogs for a few years and was NEVER put into Jr Showmanship, she went right out with the big boys from the get-go.

Whats holing you back from the other sports? Find a training class in your area for one of the things you might be interested in and go watch a class and see if it peaks your interest enough to get the ball rolling and get inspired. Or, just break out the treats on a rainy day and start with basic commands from whichever sport you like. Instead of trying to do it ALL with a dog you dont have at this point in time, pick ONE that you can do with a dog you do have!
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Feb 10 9:56 pm

(Page 1 of 41: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.