Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

Dog Health > pinched nerve need advice
Wellington- 4/14/01 - 2/18/13

No I'm NOT a- Saint Bernard.

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 1:23pm PST 
Willow: Do you know if your med is just for pain or is it an anti-inflammatory? Chloe had a pinched nerve in her neck and the pain meds didn't seem to do anything to help but the anti-inflammatory helped a lot and kept her comfortable. (She made a full recovery after several weeks). Also, each animal reacts differently to meds so if one doesn't work another might. Let us know what your vet says and how you are doing next week. Our thoughts are with you! POTP hug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 6 1:34 pm

Dog Health > Epitheliotropic Lymphoma

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 1:19pm PST 
Wellington has been in remission from Lymphoma for 6 years. Ask your vet about a high protein diet. (Cancer loves carbs but grows slower with protein). We add cooked chicken, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, etc. to his kibble. He LOVES his meals and I get to "spoil" him. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this scary time!hug
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 12:15 pm

Dog Health > Anyone had a preventive gastropexy done?

Chloe - 6/18/02 - 7/23/12

Anyone seen my- drool towel?

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 9:28pm PST 
Chloe had a preventative gastroplexy when she was about 3 years old. She was prone to regular "bloating". Every few days she would be in discomfort, her body would blow up like a balloon and we would have to try to relieve the pressure. (Preventative antacids didn't help). Anyway, we were very concerned that one day her stomach would twist so we decided on the surgery. The decision was fairly easy to make because of how often she seemed to start to bloat. She had already been spayed so we did it as a separate procedure. We were lucky in that our vet was located in a "teaching hospital" so we were able to have an intern do the procedure (with our vet at his side) at a cheaper cost. If we would have known of her tendency we would have had it done during her original spay. Afterwards we never worried about having to rush her to the vet due to a life threatening torsion and Chloe's bloating slowly decreased over the years. On the other hand: Our Wellington never has had the procedure and is still going strong. (And so far he has never bloated). dog
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 18 6:26 am

Dog Health > Swollen Lymph Nodes?

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 9:05pm PST 
Our dog's lymph nodes can only be felt if you really feel for them or when they are swollen. As you know swollen lymph nodes can be something simple such as allergies or something more serious like Lymphoma. Our Wellington was being treated for reoccurring allergies when our other dog's surgeon happened to pet him and said all his lymph nodes were swollen and they should be checked. Sure enough Wellington had lymphoma. The good news is it was caught early and he has been in remission for the past 5 years! With such a young dog I wouldn't be surprised if Odin was just having a reaction from his shot or something similar. But because of our experience with Wellie I would recommend talking to your vet. (He/she may want to just monitor the lumps). It's probably nothing serious but because catching things early can make such a big difference I tend to err on the side of caution. Take care!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 5 11:14 am

Dog Health > Algae killer that's safe for dogs?

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 8:06pm PST 
Caution! As previously mentioned there are many varieties of alga that are not dangerous; BUT, Toxic Blue Green Alga is common in many parts of the Country and dogs (or cows, horses, cats, etc.) that ingest the cyano-bacteria given off by this alga can become very sick. There have even been cases of dogs dying! I believe the toxic bacteria results when the alga dies and starts to decay, so killing the alga can exacerbate the danger. Contact your local Environmental Public Health Department or go on-line to get more info. about Toxic Blue-Green Algae.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 22 8:06 pm

Dog Health > Arthritis in the Spine

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 5:56pm PST 
I don't know about the laser treatment but you could also look into canine acupuncture (done by a vet who specializes in it). It helped Chloe. Also, consider a rear harness that your dog can keep on. (We used the "Help em Up" - found on-line). It will help you to help him stand as soon as he tries to get up and you can even use it when he walks to take some of the weight off the "good" side. Just an F.Y.I. - Wellington was taken off his anti-inflammatory (which he took along with a pain medication) and put on high doses of several strong pain meds. It was AWFUL! He stopped being able to walk all together. We thought he had gotten much worse but decided (our last hope) to put him back on the anti-inflammatory. Within a day he started walking and even running again. I guess I'm saying that something may still help even if the first thing you try doesn't. Each dog responds differently.

Our thoughts are with you. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 13 5:03 am

Senior Dogs > Rocky's 11th Birthday!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 1:53pm PST 
Happy Birthday Rocky! Us 11 year old, cancer survivors sure know how to live life to the fullest - One day at a time! So glad you had a great b-day! You deserve it.

Slobbers from California, USA

party
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 7 1:27 pm

Dog Health > blood in stool

Chloe - 6/18/02 - 7/23/12

Anyone seen my- drool towel?

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 12:22pm PST 
Is she acting normal otherwise? i.e. eating, drinking, playing? Bright red blood usually indicates bleeding near the end of the anus and can be caused by a large, hard bowel movement, constipation, etc. and may be an isolated occurrence. Deep, deep red blood that looks like coffee grounds can indicate internal bleeding and needs to be addressed by a vet. If she were mine and is acting normal otherwise, I think I would keep a close eye on her and wait to check out her next bowel movement.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 24 12:35 pm

Dog Health > Dog has diarrhea for 3 days .... vet says she's OK - still sick?

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 12:08pm PST 
You may have to wait a little longer to see improvement. (Watching carefully for dehydration of course). It took Wellington weeks to get totally normal stools after he had irritated bowels as a very young dog. If it continues to persist you could ask your vet about Metronidazole. Now, if Wellington has diarrhea after his chemotherapy, we give it to him and it usually only takes one dose to resolve the problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jun 27 11:37 am

Dog Health > pink spot on lip

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 11:58am PST 
Wellington also had a scrape. He "stepped" off a porch step and did a face plant. We checked him immediately and didn't find any blood or other obvious injury but the next day he had the pink spot on his lip which got slightly bigger over the next two days. I thought it would stay that way forever but after three months the black came back.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 11:58 am

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.