Postings by Riku's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Laws Pertaining to Service Dogs in Training?
Clementine

SDiT

Barked: Tue Feb 25, '14 4:54am PST 
The answer to your problem does depend on which state you're in, & a couple of other things.
Where do you live?
Is your dog currently trained to preform at least 1 task reliably?
Is your dog under your control when working?

http://www.animallaw.info/topics/tabbed%20topic%20page/s pusassistanceanimals.htm

I've included a link to a site where you can easily look up your state laws regarding SDs & SDits. But if you can answer yes to questions 2 & 3, even if you don't consider your dog 100% trained, under the ADA he/she is considered a SD with full access rights. Any dog can have a bad day, & training never really ends. You might legally already have a full fledged SD even if your dog isn't bomb proof. Hope this helps, good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Juno , Mar 25 11:53 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Ugg.... woofing
Clementine

SDiT

Barked: Mon Feb 24, '14 3:50pm PST 
My SDit has a similar problem, (in fact she's doing in now, because I've been on the pc too long! laugh out loud When we are at a doctor's office & she thinks we've waited long enough, she starts whining, VERY quiet at first. The longer I keep her in a 'down-stay', the louder & more frequent her whines get. It usually doesn't start until we've past the hour mark, & I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of; various treats, toys, old & new... To no avail! I hope some wiser person replies to help our noisy dogs find the quiet life. Good luck! shh
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 10 7:31 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > We're Moving and I am How do you say confused and all that...

Clementine

SDiT

Barked: Fri Feb 21, '14 3:52am PST 
We are packing to move also. All 3 of my pups have been nervous. But my SDit has been the most upset, I think she knows how I feel. I'm trying to be calmer so she can relax a little. I got a bagful of their favorite toys/treats at the store & am slowly giving those out to distract the dogs & keep them busy. I think visiting the new neighborhood was a great idea. I've also noticed that if I stop what I'm doing every so often & spend a few minutes playing with the dogs & reassuring them that it's ok, they feel better & so do I! wishes Good luck to you & Sadie!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 10 7:34 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Some tips with my yorkie

Clementine

SDiT

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 9:52am PST 
servicedawgs.org has a list of commands that ppl teach their dogs & a lot of good training tips. If you're brave- Facebook has several 'owner trained service dog groups. Many of the ppl on them have small dogs that do amazing things. Donna & kikipup are the main youtube videos I was thinking of. Hope the leads help, I'm surprised no one else has given you any ideas... Guess it's due to Holidays. Good luck, keep trying. dog walk
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Clementine, Jan 2 9:52 am

Behavior & Training > Problems with a Dobie boy.

Riku

ALWAYS blame the- cat!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 11:24am PST 
A friend at the dp has an intact 14m/o german shepherd (can't be neutered/breeder contract). He is very big & was always hassling just about any dog, mine used to hide from him under a bench. He's well trained, socialized, etc. & his owner has always been right on top of him. The owner got him a shock collar (I don't like them either, but in this instance it's worked). Owner only uses it after verbal commands go ignored & is diligent in the corrections. It has made a night & day difference for this dog, he's now one of all the dogs favorite playmates! My dog never leaves his side now & they are bf. I don't think everyone should have e-collars, & most don't use them correctly, but I've seen them work wonders for this intact male.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Jan 5 5:38 pm

Behavior & Training > VERY Hyper Five Month Old American Bulldog???
Clementine

SDiT

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 10:45am PST 
As others have said: a tired dog is a happy dog (& owner). Also, if you don't know about it- pbrc.net/training has invaluable resources for 'bully' parents. Please don't give up! The quicker you solve these problems the happier you'll be, if let go it can be a disaster. cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Clementine, Jan 1 10:45 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Some tips with my yorkie

Clementine

SDiT

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 8:57am PST 
There are tons of videos on youtube the demonstrate how to teach your dog to retrieve, & other tasks that you might need. If your pup likes to please you shouldn't have too much trouble getting him to do the things you mentioned. Good luck, & happy training! dog walk

I'll find some links for you & post them latter, unless others chime in wink
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Clementine, Jan 2 9:52 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Trendy Dogs of the Year 2013

Kyri

5lb 'Pack- Leader'

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 11:44am PST 
shock
The tone of the responses to the original post are the biggest problem I have with the Dogster Forums! So many are so quick to judge & bash others!!
shrug
Nowhere in the original post did the author endorse ANY of the breeds! In fact toward the end of it she stated what challenging breeds most of them are... I just don't understand why/how people are so quick to 'jump on the hater bandwagon'.
And to the 'breed haters' who said that some of these dogs will "rip your face off", I feel sorry for how narrow minded you are! EVERY dog is an individual, capable of proper behavior with socialization & training. I'm glad you don't visit my dog park: where Danes, Mastiffs, pitties, Corso's & 5lb Chihuahua's all play happily- because their responsible owners taught them how. I only wish people got along so well & treated each other as respectfully...
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 3:46 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to find a trainer for self-training of service dog

Clementine

SDiT

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 10:48am PST 
applause Way to go, Kujo's parent! Of course you've never had an SD before, you made that obvious in your first post. As you did your research of a shiba's temperament. I too am owner training(under an experienced sd trainers guidance) a non traditional breed, an Am Staff, as my sd. I hear it all the time, "How can you have a 'Pit Bull' for a service dog". And that's a nicer version of the comments I get. I applaud you for sticking up for such a smart breed. Yes they are free thinkers, exactly a quality a sd should have. You want them to be able to problem solve & decide which trained response is needed at any given time. In regards to finding an sd trainer; I found my first trainer through the local obedience club. When she moved I found several experienced sd trainers in our local 'Pet Pages' magazine. If you can't find a copy of it they do have a national web site(http://petpages.com/). Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Baloo, Dec 30 3:23 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog no longer likes people
Kyri

5lb 'Pack- Leader'

Barked: Sun Dec 8, '13 12:42pm PST 
Keep a stash of high value treats near the door & ask all new people to let Erwin slowly approach them & have them give him a treat. Reserve these treats for only when he meets people. And you can do similar things on walks if you get people to walk alongside him(side by side- not head on) & give him a treat.
These are just very basic ideas, I'm sure other, wiser people will have better ideas, but I just wanted to give you something to try. Good luck!! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Opheila, Dec 8 2:16 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.