Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Dog Health > Koda's leg is hurt!
Koda

Born to run -- loves to sleep

Barked: Sat Jan 25, '14 10:54am PST 
When I tried to get him to come in, he stood up, walked a few sideways step towards the door and then layed down again. When I went outside with him and tried to coax him to his feat he still didn't move and I left him alone for now. I guess he'll come in when he want... I hope.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 7:57 am

Dog Health > Koda's leg is hurt!
Koda

Barked: Sat Jan 25, '14 10:30am PST 
It started early this morning while our two dogs were playing. Koda began to yelp very loudly and didn't quiet down for several minutes. When he has to stand, he keeps his head down and his weight on his left leg. He is walking on his right, but not if he doesn't have to.

I managed to check on him and see where he was hurt about a half an hour after the incident. At first, I suspected the shoulder but a quick touch of his wrist? ankle? Whatever that joint above the foot is called, and he yelped.

I'm wasn't able to check on it enough to tell if it was a bump I felt or if the leg is swollen.

Every now and again he'll shift his position and start to yelp again.

Any ideas on what is wrong? Could he have sprained it? Like I said, he's walking on it and I know it's not broken, but he's still in pain. When he walked over to the couch to be by me he was whining and walking sideways instead of straight.

I'm keeping a close eye on Sassy to keep her from trying to play with Koda. All we need is for him to be hurt worse because she was being her usual puppy self...frown

I just let him out. When he stood up he was half whining half yelping. He didn't even walk all of the way off our snow covered porch to pee... I'm going to let him rest in the snow for a few minutes. Maybe the cold will help a little with the pain.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 7:57 am

Behavior & Training > Um what the heck... alphaship techniques sweeping the whole animal world?

Sassy

~Hyper yet as- smart as can be~-

Barked: Fri Oct 4, '13 7:43pm PST 
Ah, you guys made my day - or night.

Anyway, maybe next time my turtle bites me thinking I'm a worm I'll have to alpha-roll him so he knows that fingers are not worms... I wonder how that would work?

Me- sticks finger in tank.
Turtle- Oh! a worm *bite*
Me- I'm not a worm! *flips over and holds down* take that!

Hehe. That'd go over well... laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 4:22 pm

Behavior & Training > Thoughts on training collars

Sassy

~Hyper yet as- smart as can be~-

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 9:32am PST 
I taught our own puppy (She's not a puppy any more...) to walk okay on a leash. All I did was start out with the turn around when ever the puppy pulls and walk the other way method, and the graduated into the stop and wait method, and then into the one where you use force to correct your dog, and now finally back to the stop method only now I expect Sassy to walk towards me and sit down and wait for me to move again. We are getting there. It is a long, long process, though.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 30 9:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed Suggestions? Please?

Koda

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 9:25am PST 
Hehe... I'm sure you have already figured it out, but 'klein' means 'small' in German.

Anyway, if you don't mind looking into a giant breed of dogs, Leonbergers are very nice dogs. They are very friendly, are playful,

A quick fact: they are the oldest purebred German breed.

It was created by crossing a Newfoundland with a Saint Bernard, and then with a Pyrenees, and then with a Newfoundland again.

They can weigh up to 170 pounds.

They are very heavy shedders. They have a medium to long doubled coat. That's a lot of hair...

They have a shorter life span, living to the average of 8 years.

They are smart dogs but are also easily trainable.

They stand about 2-3 foot tall at the shoulder.

They are known for getting certain types of cancers and bloat.

So, well, just a sugestion. I'm going to stick with my labs and huskies, though. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 1 9:30 am

Behavior & Training > We NEED a more reliable recall... asap
Koda

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 3:16pm PST 
She looked up. I noticed a car racing towards us. I quickly screamed at her to staunch she did not listen but did not cross the road either. Eventually there were fjords more cars. So, I ran down my driveway calling at sassy to get her to com. She did. I got beoth dogs back inside safely.

To say I was angry would not be correct. I was frustrated. I quickly told bother dogs to go lay down. When sassy did not listen, I screameed it at her.

Once they were both listening, I. Hurried into my bed room, graabbed my cat, and curled up on my bed and did my best to calm down. If someone else had been home, I would not have done that...

I don't know anymore.

I need a good, no a great, method for recall. Obviously mine does not work.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 9:02 am

Koda

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 3:09pm PST 
I wanted her to come back into my line of sight but I did not want her by the road. After a couple more tries for Sassy, I looked down the road and saw Koda pausing to poop. My first though was "good, he won't t get very far for a moment. I can get sassy over here" then I thought "wait! This is my chance!" And I took off in my fastest sprint towards him. I was a second too slow and could only watch in horror as he verred toward the white line and almost get himseld hit. He got out of the way quickky, luckily. Then he ran across. The coast was clear so I followed. He went down the side of the road a little faurther before turnings around and coking back to me, finally, panting. I grabbed his collar and hurried off back to where i last saw Sassy. There she was, on the other side sniffing around. Foolishly, I called to her.hug
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 9:02 am

Koda

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 3:02pm PST 
I think we triggered and alarm but I cannot be sure. They were around the other side of the building. When I got back to the front, the dogs split up. I was torn between them. Then a couple of men came oyster
utility of the church. On asked me if I was chasing dogs. I said yes then he asked what their names were. I told him. He made me repeat sassys name a few times before he finally said she was a beautiful dog and got in his car. By that time I decided that I needes to get koda back, then sassy. So I chashed after him. My heart skipped a beat when I saw where he was headed. Our neighbors across the street are weird people whxo have some mean dogs. Luckily, he went right on by. But unluckily he was running down the shoulder of the road. I continued screaming for him but hen I stooped and screamed at sassy to come.
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 9:02 am

Koda

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 2:55pm PST 
So, good thing I did that... browsers closed on me when I was writting this half... stupid tablets.

Koda ran for our fire Pitt to mark the benches around it. Sassy took off after him. I moved onto the back porch and yelled at koda to come back. Instead, he went running for the front yard and towards the main road. At this point I ran after them. I screamed at koda to stop but was ignored. Both made it across saftly while I was stuck on the other side, screaming at them and looking for an opening. One guy in a truck slowed down to watch and waved me across. I gablve him a grateful smile and chased after the two. By now they were in the church parking lot on the other side of the road. I contained to screaming, grasping for air. I half hopped someone in there would hear and help but no one did. They ran around the back of the building and I followed.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 9:02 am

Koda

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 2:43pm PST 
I am so frustrated right now... We just got another dog. Another Husky like Koda. We were told she likes to run out if the door is open. So, lately I have been keeping on eye on her whenever I let Sassy or Koda out. She has not tried to get out once. That's a good thing, you see, we live on a busy highway. It is far too easy for a dog to be killed there.

Anyway, Sassy's recall works about 30% of the time and she usually stays in the yard if she is out without a leash. Koda will not. His outdoor recall is a shocking 3% while his indoor is maybe 10%.

So, on to the story. Anyone guess what happened? Well, I had just finished letting Koda in. I clipped the chain on Kiska, our new Husky's, collar and opened the door to let her out. She went out slowly and just when I was shutting the door out went Sassy. I was startled and a little annoyed. Sassy will not listen to me when she is off the leash and I am the only one home. So, with the door still wide open I yelled at her to come in. And... out went Koda ...

It took me another couple of seconds to notice. Anyways, before I loose. This I want to post it. More in a sec.
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 9:02 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.