Postings by My Family

GO!

Pomeranian > New pup won't go outside.

Tyrion

A Lannister- always paws his- debts.

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 11:41pm PST 
I had this same problem with my pup. It took a few days but he did eventually start going outside.

Crate training is a big help in this instance, especially at night. Dogs tend to not want to soil their sleeping area so he will try and hold it in the crate as long as he can (for young puppies this may mean they need a trip outside in the middle of the night or early morning). If you take him outside after he's been in the crate all night, hopefully he'll have to pee bad enough that he'll go. And then of course praise him profusely and give him a treat!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 4 11:54 pm

Pomeranian > Hello!
Tyrion

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 11:31pm PST 
I'm new to Dogster, but not new to poms. I grew up with a pom (who was with us for a wonderful 15 years) and absolutely fell in love with them.

Just recently, my husband and I bought a new pom puppy after a year of research and waiting. I'm so thrilled to finally have a pom again!

His name is Tyrion, and he's currently around 5 months old.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 10:20 pm

Small Dogs > *head desk*... No, she is *not* a mini Chihuahua!

Tyrion

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 11:22pm PST 
Lacy: They may still be purebred poms, just not bred to the breed standard (probably from backyard breeders or pet stores). Poms were originally much much larger so you occasionally get "throwbacks" that are a larger size, and it seems to happen a lot when people aren't breeding for conformation/don't know what they're doing in breeding/not working with established lines.

But yeah, I get the "teacup" question a lot too about my pom. "is he a toy pom? a teacup pom? a mini pom?" And then have to explain that no, this is the breed standard. I don't really mind so much because I see it as an opportunity to educate. What annoys me is when people ask where they can get a teacup pom.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 4 11:22 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.