Postings by Allie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Shih Tzu > Shih Tzu Coat Types????
Wicket

Mom's little- Fluffer Muffin

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 7:50pm PST 
Wicket's hair is more cotton-y and not so silky and as a puppy, I thought his hair looked thinner (or less fluffy) compared to other Shih Tzu's that I saw pictures of but as he got older, his hair really filled out and now he's got the really thick hair that will just grow and grow but we keep him clipped so it never really gets long enough to be considered a "full coat".
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 7:50 pm

Shih Tzu > what size are you?
Wicket

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 7:48pm PST 
Wicket is now 17 months old and he weighs 9 lbs.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bleu, Jan 17 8:28 pm

Shih Tzu > Shihtzu shedding

Wicket

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 7:46pm PST 
Wicket doesn't "shed" normally when he's in a longer coat but when we have him groomed short, there's always a lot of shedding! When their hair is long, the long outer layer catches the shedding hair which usually you'll see when you brush him. When it's shorter, the hair falls and isn't caught. I hope that makes sense.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 7:46 pm

Shih Tzu > heart broken

Wicket

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 7:45pm PST 
I honestly don't know about the legalities of it but I do know that one of our great friends owns a salon and she brings her Yorkie with her all the time. Everyone loves having her around and I haven't heard anything about it being an issue. I hope that you get it straightened out and that she's allowed to come with you! Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 3 7:45 pm

Puppy Place > Introducing Allie! (And the not-so-good news)

Allie

Allie Poo!

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 11:11am PST 
I hope this works - I took this picture today. I'm in college and was reading one of my books and Allie immediately jumped up and fell asleep in my lap, laying her head right on the book BOL!

In case the picture doesn't show, here's the link:

http://tinypic.com/r/sdmlxf/6
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Sep 28 8:31 pm

Allie

Allie Poo!

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 10:31am PST 
I hope that my last post didn't seem as though I were picking on anyone for their choice of words...I just read the debate over "rescue vs. BYB" and I've been on Dogster for a while (under my other boy's name, Wicket) and I should have clarified from the get-go. I know that people have different definitions of what "rescue" and "BYB" means...and to me, "rescue" is saving a pup from a shelter that may otherwise have been put to sleep (or a rescue organization, etc). "BYB" to me has a broad definition. It means a pup born from a genuine puppy mill (breeding for profit but doing so irresponsibly and not for the love of a particular breed...or cross breeding for profit, etc.) or it could also be like where I got Allie - an irresponsible (or just unknowing) owner that didn't have their dogs altered and allowed them to breed "by accident" and then have a whole litter of "unwanted puppies".

As I said before, I really should have known better and I have seen countless (and I mean a LOT) of puppies that are cute, sure, but I never considered them because first, I thought 2 was enough and second, I didn't want to support BYB practices. I can't explain why Allie jumped out at me, I really can't. All I know is when I saw the whole litter in that picture, Allie specifically jumped out at me. I wasn't interested in the litter as a whole but her little face just spoke to me somehow and I knew we had to bring her home and I couldn't explain why, especially being so against it, that I ignored my beliefs and said, "We must go get her if she's still available." And we did immediately.

I know that her coming home with Parvo and hook worms was infuriating but honestly, I don't regret going to get her. Granted, I won't ever be doing this again but I feel almost as though Allie were meant to be here for this and I'm so glad we could help her get through this sickness and help her enjoy life again instead of suffering.

I did try to contact the original owner of the litter. All of Allie's litter mates are gone and that breaks my heart not knowing if they're all right or if their new owners will recognize the signs and get them the help they're going to need. I didn't go after the new owner for Allie's medical bills and I won't. Although I'm a bit upset that they didn't get her any of her puppy shots or worm treatments and didn't care that she had Parvo, I am her mom and I knew going in (as with all of my furbabies) that her medical care was something I took on when I brought her home, even when the unexpected worst happens like it did with Allie. I don't want them having anything to do with Allie anymore and I'm perfectly all right with the medical expenses as I know she's our baby and I know she's at least getting the proper care.

And all sickness aside, Allie's been a dream pup and she's definitely my baby - she follows me around excitedly all the time. If I'm sitting, she lays down and puts her head in my lap and just stares at me for the longest time. When I pick her up, she "hugs" me and lays her head on my shoulder. She eats a lot and never stopped drinking water (and she drinks a LOT as well!). Every day, I disinfect the house and when we leave, we spray the bottom of our shoes with a bleach solution so as not to track the virus. It's a lot of work but it needs to be done and above all, I'm just happy that Allie's going to be all right (and Wicket and BoBo haven't been affected).
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Sep 28 8:31 pm

Allie

Allie Poo!

Barked: Sat Sep 1, '12 9:41pm PST 
Thanks for all of the replies and the well wishes. Allie is doing great - she's not dehydrated, has been drinking and eating just fine, thankfully, and is just as active as a puppy should be. Her stools are still abnormal but they're getting better. We were given the go-ahead to start her on the hook worm treatment, which she hates, but I think she's going to be fine (and our vet agrees).

All this being said, YES, we got Allie from what most consider a "BYB". It was an individual that had a litter of puppies by "accident" (meaning they irresponsibly allowed their family pair of boxers to breed and then said, "Oops!") I really should have known better - I know that it's not legitimate and I myself have stated many, many times that I'd never get a puppy from one but when my husband showed me Allie's picture, something about her tugged at me (and her specifically, not really the litter as a whole).

So no, Allie was NOT rescued. However, I do have a "rescued" boy, BoBo, that we adopted from the shelter and we also have a Shih Tzu, Wicket, that we brought home from a breeder (and not a BYB). So now we've experienced pretty much every side of the spectrum (breeder, then rescue and now BYB...). I love my little Allie but I can say that I will never EVER consider it again after what we've gone through in this short amount of time. It was definitely an "I told you so" moment, a real eye-opener, on why no one should do what we did. I don't regret bringing Allie home simply becauase she got help and I'm glad that we can be with her to support her as she gets healthy but at the same time, I should have known better from the get-go and let my heart do the talking over my brain.

It still angers me that she never received ANY shots or worming. Totally irresponsible (although I can't be casting stones because technically, me bringing Allie home wasn't the most responsible choice, supporting BYB's and all...so I recognize that we all - including Allie - paid the price for dealing with a BYB instead of a reputable breeder or by simply rescuing).

As for Wicket and BoBo...they are fully vaccinated and are on monthly Interceptor for heartworm & fleas but our vet recommended a booster "just in case" and sent me home with a shot for each, which I gave to them immediately.

I just wanted to clear up the confusion about whether Allie was "rescued or from a BYB" because I didn't make it clear in the beginning. I really do appreciate all of the kind words, though, and regardless of how Allie came home, we love her and are so thankful that she pulled through and didn't suffer too badly (or as badly as it could have been) and that she's on her way to becoming a healthy and overly-active puppy. She goes back to the vet on the 18th for a checkup and her next round of boosters but I think she's done remarkably well, all things considered.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Sep 28 8:31 pm

Allie

Allie Poo!

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 2:01pm PST 
This last Friday (August 24th), my husband came across an ad for Boxer puppies...

I know, I know...we must be crazy, right?

Before I go on, let me explain: We've seen countless puppies and were always firm on our "no more, 2 is plenty" decision....until we saw that ad for Boxers.

The ad had a picture - the puppies were gorgeous. One of them, however, looked different - the only one that didn't have the solid black mask but had pink spots instead. My husband and I instantly said, "Should we go see her?" And of course, we did. All of her littermates were still there - so Allie was the first to go home with a new family. When we met her, I instantly noticed she was a bit on the thin side (not overly thin but just a bit thinner than a puppy should be). I asked about vaccination and worming documentation - and was told by her original owner, "My cousin took them to the vet and I don't have papers on that but I'll call them next week and see if they can get me something." (*cough*bunchofcrap*cough)

I fell in love with Allie, though. She was so loving, came straight to me and cuddled up right away and I knew that she was meant to be in our family - welcome - She's perfect.

We brought her home and thought she seemed scared - and she looked really sad. Saturday and Sunday, she did nothing but lay down. She wouldn't eat unless we fed her out of our hands. She wouldn't drink unless we held the bowl up to her as she laid down.

I thought she was lonely, missing her littermates - or scared in new surroundings because other than wanting to lay down and not really showing interest in food, she was very loving to whoever was within reach of her, wanting to be petted and giving constant kisses.

Monday (yesterday), Allie was suddenly a regular ol' spunky puppy - chasing Wicket around the house and vice versa, eating and drinking like a champ from her brand-new bowls, jumping around and playing - so I chalked up the weekend behavior to nerves and being in a new home with a new family.

Until today. Today, everything changed.

I left to bring Wicket to the groomer and my husband was home, asleep (he works 2nd/3rd shift hours). I came home around noon and my husband had just gotten up and was in the shower. Allie had a poop accident on the floor (as puppies will do.) I went to clean it up instantly and noticed something was very, very wrong.

Allie's "poop" was actually a very runny pile of blood - and lots of it.

I immediately grabbed her and rushed her to the vet (and called them on the way, of course). They took her from my arms and brought her back to an exam room and told me to wait in the lobby.

20 minutes later, the vet came out and asked to speak to me privately.

I knew this couldn't be good...I had a fear but wasn't entirely prepared for the diagnosis.

My sweet & perfect Allie was diagnosed with Parvovirus today. On top of that? She's full of hookworms. My heart is broken for my poor baby, that she has to battle this at only 9.5 weeks old.

The vet says she's not dehydrated at all (she even drank this morning) and we probably caught it very early on as she also hasn't vomited since she's been here. They gave her some shots and sent me home with some nausea/anti-vomiting medication. They also sent me home with booster shots for Wicket and BoBo, just to be sure they don't get infected (to be on the safe side even though their vaccinations are up-to-date).

I called the original owner and was told that all of her litter mates have found other homes but he said that they don't have the contact information for any of them. (I gave him mine when I got Allie, though...at my insistence.) So now I'm spending time, loving on Allie and worrying about her litter mates - will their new families pick up on the signs of Parvo and get them to a vet before it's too late?

I'm really hoping that Allie pulls through this - the vet said she has an excellent chance at survival as long as she doesn't start vomiting and she is still drinking. If she stops drinking or starts vomiting, I have the emergency vet number on hand and will take her in for IV fluids immediately. I'm already in love with my little Allie girl and I'm so sad for her, watching her go through this. The hookworms are the reason she's probably this thin, according to my vet, and I do have treatment for that as well but was told to wait until next week to give it to her, that we should let her battle the Parvo first.

Sorry this post is so long - but I'm a nervous wreck. I've never dealt with Parvo and it breaks my heart but I will do everything in my power - and not leave her side unless I absolutely have to - to make sure she overcomes this and can get back to enjoying being the beautiful puppy that she is.
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Sep 28 8:31 pm

Shih Tzu > Wicket turned 1 yesterday!

Wicket

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 2:50pm PST 
No, not on Pawdogs but am going to check it out now! Thanks for the belated bday wishes smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 23 2:50 pm

Shih Tzu > Wicket turned 1 yesterday!
Wicket

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 4:05pm PST 
Happy birthday to my beautiful little "Fluffer Muffin"! party He turned a whole year old yesterday. party It really doesn't seem like it's been that long but then again, it does because we're past all the "puppy behaviors", he knows his commands, is MUCH calmer (more of a couch potato really BOL!) but no matter how old he gets, he'll always be my baby. He's only been with us for nine months but I can't imagine life without him. snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 23 2:50 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.