Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Service & Therapy Dogs > What do you think of this breeder?
Zoey

out of the- shiverer comes- the brave!

Barked: Sun Nov 3, '13 1:14am PST 
I have decided, after many moments of indecision and worry to owner-train my PSD rather than get an already trained one....and with the knowledge I have now, I'm not sure a PSD can really be trained without the handler being the trainer. Anywho, I've chosen this breeder:

http://www.kentfieldkennels.com/home/

They seem to have very good lines, knowledge of PSDs, and even provide pups to SD programs. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 8:19 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > In California can you get assistance Dog Tags for SDIT from the County dog licensing Agency
Zoey

Barked: Sat Nov 2, '13 6:04pm PST 
My county shelter and animal services have a website and that's where they post the application. Maybe your county has one as well?
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 9:23 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > To Vest or Not to Vest?

Zoey

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 5:44pm PST 
No, I was asking more along the lines of taking an SD to an already pet-friendly place (Petco/PetSmart, Parks, Outings outdoors, etc). I'll be getting my PSD candidate, who will be a lab pup from a long line of PSDs, next summer so I want to be overly prepared. My favorite breed is the Rottweiler, and I've trained many of them successfully, but I wanted a breed with a more public friendly image to begin with that way I won't have to deal with as much access issues along with training my first SD. I'm confident that down the line I'll use a Rott though, I've fallen hard for them. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 24 8:03 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Large Breed Medium Energy?

Olivia

out of the brave- comes the- shiverer!

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 2:56pm PST 
I'm looking for a large breed dog that's medium energy-wise and intelligent. Some breed profiling places say that a Rott or a Dobie fit the bill, but when I asked about people's experiences with the breed and how much exercise they needed I got answers about how HIGH energy they are. Any clarification or tips on breeds to look into would be awesome!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 2 3:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > Feeding a Lactating Mother on Raw

Zoey

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:08pm PST 
Your advice was very helpful, thank you!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 28 1:59 am

Puppy Place > Questions Regarding Newborn Puppies and Raising Them
Zoey

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:05pm PST 
Thanks guys! One thing though, I raised a litter of kittens at 3 weeks...the puppies at the time of my posting were 3 days old. Much, much smaller! But everything else applies, so I'll take your advice and get them all checked by my vet!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 9:03 pm

Puppy Place > Questions Regarding Newborn Puppies and Raising Them

Zoey

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:05pm PST 
Thanks guys! One thing though, I raised a litter of kittens at 3 weeks...the puppies at the time of my posting were 3 days old. Much, much smaller! But everything else applies, so I'll take your advice and get them all checked by my vet!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 22 9:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Molding puppies to be SD candidates

Zoey

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 9:26pm PST 
Okay, thanks guys!

I don't have amazon prime frown , but I will take a look at that book!

And yes, they are quite cute even if all they do is squirm around! I've started doing early neurological stimulation to give them a boost in life, even if they don't end up being SDs. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 25 11:38 pm

Zoey

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 11:41pm PST 
I understand your opinions and view of these programs. I would have liked to get at least some advice on how to raise these pups whether they're SDs or not they'll have to be good dogs. They're not much bundles of anything yet, seeing as they're 5 days old, but I'm sure soon they'll be bouncing around. If you have nothing to add about molding them as SDs, could you offer advice on raising very well-behaved, rounded pups? I've never raised a litter before and it's been years since I've had a puppy in the house.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 25 11:38 pm

Zoey

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 1:46pm PST 
While there certainly are programs that are very exclusive and end up cutting much of their dogs, there are also many programs that rescue from shelters and then train the dogs for service work and from how it sounds it's a much higher success rate. I have already gone through the decision to get a service dog quite a while ago now and have been a member of this community for a while so I've seen all the good posts and participated in quite a few. When I decided to get a SD, I ended up choosing a program that goes the shelter route. I hadn't gone through the paperwork yet because sometime in the next two months I'll be moving to a ranch in a new area and thought I'd better wait until then. With these guys coming into my life, I'm going to raise them just the same so why not treat them like SD candidates and if they fail they'll certainly be amazing dogs anyways. And this situation is kind of a midpoint between the breeding program SDs and the shelter adoption SDs, is it not? Since we're moving to a much larger property I might consider keeping them all or keeping them within my friend base. Either way, they're not going far. Despite your views, what can I do to make them a well-rounded dog even if you don't believe in their SD chances? I'll have to raise them right anyways, but what are some ways to develop the characteristics needed to be not only a good dog, but having a shot at being an SD?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Sep 25 11:38 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.