Postings by Sun's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

Service & Therapy Dogs > getting an SD
Sun

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 9:00pm PST 
Sam, it may have been a wonderful easy journey with your dog but that is not the case with most owner trainers. It's better for someone to learn about all the hardships while still in the decision making process. It's called being prepared.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Thu 11:44 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > getting an SD
Sun

Barked: Thu Oct 17, '13 10:23pm PST 
Owner training is only cheaper if you are prepared to put your heart and soul into training your dog. Service dog training is not pet level training (which a lot of people cannot even handle themselves so they seek out obedience trainers). Just because it CAN be done for not much more than the cost of a pet dog, doesn't mean everyone should attempt it. You also have to keep in mind the wash out rate can be pretty high, and it isn't easy to re-home a dog that you have been bonding with for a while.

Also, it takes at least a year of constant training for a puppy to become stable enough in public to be any help to you. And then you have to work on more proofing after that. Owner training is very slow process.

This is why program trained dogs cost a lot of money.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Thu 11:44 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > "But you're not disabled!"

Sun

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 11:38pm PST 
You could also elaborate a little bit to give an example such as diabetic or seizure alert, if the person doesn't understand an invisible disability. I have done that before.

When I say medical alert, I am almost always met with confusion on what that means. *sigh* It's hard trying to describe a PSD.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sun, Oct 16 11:38 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > You know what I can't stand?

Sun

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 11:26pm PST 
I will quickly pull Sun away if someone starts to pet, and most of the time he doesn't get a chance to really engage with the person so it works. Unfortunately I was trapped on a bench with some stuff sitting beside me, not prepare to hop up at a moment's notice. And I hate being caught off guard! It makes me say/do all the wrong things.

I need to start carrying treats and using these people to train real life scenarios, since I don't have a bunch of strangers lined up to practice with.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sun, Oct 16 11:26 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > You know what I can't stand?

Sun

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 9:13pm PST 
When someone approaches, cooing at my dog and asking to pet. I say no it distracts him and he's working.

The person sits down beside me gushing about how they love dogs and "Ohhh! He likes me! He knows I love dogs!" Then reaches over and.. PETS MY DOG.

Meanwhile, Sun is wiggling around because he does love people and that's his downfall. He's excellent at ignoring crowds of people all around him but when someone is in his face baby talking he loses it.
I was angry and THIS close to getting up and walking away (was gathering my things) when the person's friend came out of the restroom and they left.

It really bugs me more than the people who just dive right in without asking. I can't understand the thought process of being told no, but doing it anyway?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sun, Oct 16 11:26 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Best responses for "WHATISTHAT?!CANIPET?!OHMYGODWHEREDOIGETONE?!"
Sun

Barked: Sun Oct 13, '13 4:14pm PST 
I don't even have an unfamiliar breed (or color, but for some reason people have NEVER seen a red border collie). I mostly get people who don't know dogs at all and stupidly ask if Sun is a wolf.
No..
Part wolf?
No.
What is he?
Border Collie
A FRENCH COLLIE?!?!?!
...yes

One time a guy stopped me directly in the middle of the street expecting a conversation and when I only got to answer him twice before being out of normal talking range, he got mad and shouted a rude thing to me.

If I'm walking I'll answer a question as I go, but I don't stop so if they don't understand me or have more questions, too bad.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Diesel, Oct 20 7:04 am

Sports & Agility > Teaching chest vault for frisbee

Sun

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 4:14pm PST 
Oh, I tried calling him from behind too.. And after two or three times knew that one wasn't going to work. I taught Sun to stand between my legs on command and that has become one of his favorite things. He will do it to other people even, and give them a surprise!
So all he did was run between my legs, lol..
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 8 2:43 pm

Sun

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 4:07pm PST 
Tried it all...
I thought the bath mat idea was sure to work, because Sun knows "place" but it didn't do anything for him. He gets extremely frustrated with the back stall because he doesn't get any reward (since he never does the behavior right) and even though I encourage him he gives up after a few times and goes under a chair. frown

As for the others.. I watched the video but the things the dog is doing right away are what Sun doesn't understand (vaulting instead of just jumping right over my leg) and it doesn't matter if I am kneeling, standing slightly so my leg is higher, standing and just leaning back, OR holding the disc low or high. His reaction is the same every time - try his hardest to get disc without touching me.

And I saw some comments from people with dogs doing the same thing. He says to not let the dog grab the disc until the dog does it correctly, but that is so frustrating for Sun.
He is the type of dog that normally learns something new in minutes, but if it takes a long time he quits and decides it's not a good thing, and then remembers that the next time we try. SO I've been letting him get the disc even though he only springs into the air.

I'm thinking I should give up on this sport/trick.. It doesn't seem to be in his future.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 8 2:43 pm

Sun

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 5:30pm PST 
My dog just doesn't get it. shrug

I first started by getting on one knee and asking him to vault off my leg but he just jumped over. And over, and over. So I stood up and leaned back, holding the frisbee out so he could use use my body to grab it. But he just jumps REALLY high and avoids using my body as leverage. When I encourage him to jump on me, he will only put his front paws up.

What should I try?

(He does the same thing when I attempt a back stall. He will jump over, instead of on. *sigh*)
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Jan 8 2:43 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > When to wear the vest?
Sun

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 3:08pm PST 
My simple answer to this question is - anytime the dog is expected to have "service dog" behavior.

When young, I vested when we worked on obedience and tasks in the house then promptly removed it before he was allowed to play.
Sometimes when I'm on my way home from someplace (since I walk) I remove my dog's vest so he can be relieved from duty to sniff around.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 25 3:02 pm

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.