Postings by Lily's Family

GO!

Grooming > Shaving to keep them cool?

Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 1:08am PST 
I always had people suggest to me that I should shave my husky in the summertime. I wish others were more knowledgeable about doggy sunburn and the fact that dogs sweat from their paws and mouth, not their skin.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 5:34 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Some People should not have dogs!!
Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 1:02am PST 
I know a BYB similar to this.
My GSD's mother is AKC registered, but her father was not, so the woman who bred her German Shepherd gave the puppies away as quickly as she could when she realized she couldn't register the puppies because of the father. She couldn't tell the difference between the seven puppies after living with them for three months, and even though I'd only seen the whole litter twice, there were VAST differences between each puppy. Now that she knows she can make money off of AKC registered puppies, she's finding a stud so that she can make a profit.
The poor dog she has is tied outside to the porch and the litter was born underneath of the porch. My Lily had never seen the inside of a house and was bloated from malnourishment and worms when I brought her home because this woman couldn't be bothered with dogs that aren't valuable.

Her daughter (who I am friends with) seems to have not learned a lesson from her. While she believes a dog should be inside instead of chained to a porch, she left on a vacation for six weeks and asked me to care for her puppy, the sibling of mine, for the duration. My dog's sibling also had never been inside and was left under the porch until I brought him home. When I told her that he's cute when he chases after the cat, she had him re-homed because she couldn't bear working with a puppy to not chase her cat around. Now she is looking to adopt another cat and multiple dogs...
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Angel, Jul 16 7:45 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > APHIS/USDA Breeding Regulations

Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 6:50pm PST 
Shew, I guess I didn't understand the legislation very well at first.
The "sight unseen" thing is what gets me - I had thought pictures, etc counted toward seeing the pup, not just visiting in person.

Thank you VERY much for the link to that blog post. It really cleared up some confusion for me, and what I had initially thought was a good plan, I realize could end good breeders.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Trixie Bean!, Jul 31 3:07 pm

German Shepherd > Approximate Size

Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 3:02pm PST 
The breeder I got her from wasn't breeding for size, which is mind blowing to me for such a large puppy to be produced.

Regardless of how much she weighs, my baby will NEVER be too big to sit in my lap (⌒▽⌒)☆
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Jul 25 7:43 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > APHIS/USDA Breeding Regulations

Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 2:55pm PST 
Here's a link to the article:
http://www.adbadog.com/p_pdetails.asp?fpid=789&pg=789

I found this article through a group on Facebook which is composed primarily of reptile breeders and collectors. The consensus of the group was sheer outrage, and I seem to have been the only one of 115 people who disagree, and that this could help stop puppy mills and BYB. My thought is that if someone is responsibly breeding, an inspection wouldn't cause any anxiety or stress because their home should have passed an inspection to begin with.

Anyone else's thoughts on this new proposal? I'd love to hear them!
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Trixie Bean!, Jul 31 3:07 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Designer Crosses
Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 2:47pm PST 
I don't know if this was post or not... but the Morkie article is no longer calling them designer breeds but instead replaced with with popular mix-ups or some other catchy jargon.

With something like four hundred dog breeds, I totally don't understand why people are trying to create new ones. They have no purpose other than being unique, but chances one could have found the same cross at a shelter that was made unintentionally and one that someone wasn't trying to make a quick buck from.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Jul 12 2:45 pm

Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:02am PST 
Thank you for your response!
Aside from a husky when I was young, I've only ever had small dogs so the 60 pound plus factor is a bit mind whopping for me.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Jul 25 7:43 am

Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 10:21pm PST 
My GSD, at 2 months and 3 weeks, weighs 27 pounds. How much do you experts think she will weigh when she is an adult?

I am curious because I think a German Shepherd lapdog would be adorable, and thus far it seems like she is going to outweigh me when she is an adult if she keeps growing at the same rate!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Jul 25 7:43 am

Puppy Place > Big Bangs and the 4th or the July! Yikes!

Lily

The Largest- Lilliputian

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 7:26pm PST 
This was Lily's first Fourth of July and I am a very quiet owner - needless to say the loud noises are NOT a common occurrence whatsoever.
Fireworks started at about 8 PM tonight and at first, she sat near my feet and whimpered. As the booms got progressively louder she started barking, so I took her outside and told her she was a good girl, that she was okay, etc.
I took her back inside when she calmed down a bit outside and she's been fine since. dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jul 6 6:36 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.