Postings by My Family

GO!

Dog Health > Interdigital cysts or....????

Diesel

The Drooling- Couch Potato

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 10:43pm PST 
So I took Diesel to the vet and it turns out that it was a combination of possible food allergies, and being left outside....it also didn't help that he was left on hard surfaces a lot of the time.
I have noticed that Diesel is very itchy all the time and that he chews on his rear legs, back, tail and his paws. He has almost chewed a bloody bald spot on his back. I first thought he had fleas but he actually doesn't. He also has a yeast infection in his ears. Soft poop and excessive eye boogers are a few of the other things pointing at food allergies.
Vet believe that Diesel probably started out chewing on his paws and he developed sores. Being left outside a lot of the time didn't help with the moisture between his toes nor did the lack of attention his wounds received. When he lies on hard surfaces he develops sore spots as well.
His sores have already improved since he has been with me as well. They have leaked a lot and slowly they are shrinking in size and they are drying out. I have been keeping his toes dry especially in between.

SO now I need a little advice on food allergies. The vet told me a little but I would like to hear some personal stories and advice etc. How do you deal with this? How long should food trials be? How long will it take for his itching and dry skin and other symptoms to go away?

Diesel says thanks in advanceway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 23 3:58 am

Dog Health > Interdigital cysts or....????
Diesel

The Drooling- Couch Potato

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 7:28am PST 
Hello,
I just rescued a great dane/mastiff mix named Diesel. Upon closer inspection I noticed he had weird growths between his toes. They are almost between every single one of his toes and they occasionally bleed or ooze (no pus though). He also has a similar looking growth on his hock. Today they looked a little dry and slightly flaky and cracky but between the toes it is really moist and dirty. I am going to take him to the vet in a few days when I get my check, he doesn't seem to be in any pain although they look horrible. I would really like to know your opinion on what they might be or even what I could clean it with. I would really like to use Bactine, which is an antiseptic and anaesthetic, not sure if this would be alright or not...
I've posted some pics an I hope they work. they aren't the best quality but I hope you can see it...

Sore/growth on hind foot

Foot Pad

Another Foot Pad

Hock Sore

Hock Sore 2nd pic

zoomed out pic of hock

Both legs view

Sorry for posting so many pics hopefully you can see it if not i will have to get into some better light because I'm only using my phone to take these and it has no flashfrown

Thank you so much in advanced!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 23 3:58 am

Raw Food Diet > Mud Shark and Trout?

Marli

digging holes- and belly rubs- <3

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:24pm PST 
Hi, my puppy and 2 kittens eat raw. I live near the ocean and a lot of people go fishing. A friend of mine caught some mud sharks and trout. She gave me the heads, tails, organs and everything else including the intestines. I've heard about parasites and worms being inside fish but I don't want it to go to waste so I was thinking about boiling everything really well....Would it be alright for them to eat (including the intestines) if it is all boiled good?
Please let me know,
thank you all in advance big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 11 12:34 am

Puppy Place > Biting?

Marli

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 7:10pm PST 
My Marli is very very mouthy and nippy. At first I would tap her on the nose which she only found fun. Then I started giving her a toy to redirect her or I would yelp and turn my attention to something else and ignore her. It gradually started working. Then the other day I gave in to play fighting with her and even though she is only 3lbs and just an itty bitty puppy she actually managed to puncture my thumb and draw blood. After that I finally realized that no more play fighting for me! I continued with the yelping and the toy redirection and she is finally starting to get it. Although she still tries to test me every now and then! Be persistant and it will all work outway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 16 4:47 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Some People should not have dogs!!

Marli

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 5:34pm PST 
My parents were like that when I was growing up and they are still like that. They see a dog on the internet that they think is cute and they go out and get it. Usually the dog is re-homed within 1-3 weeks. The first dog I ever had when I was a kid would always pee and poop on the floor, we had her for 3 days before my dad went up to some random person and gave them the dog. Then the second dog would "cry to much" when they put him in the crate at night, they had him for a week. The next dog was perfect no problems or issues but he was "too busy" to walk it so they gave her away. The list goes on and on....my parents have never owned a dog for more than 3 weeks. And they do the same with kittens and cats except when they get "bored" with them they through the kitten outside or go to a random apartment building and drop the cat in the stairwell.
Makes me want to smack them naughty
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 7:45 pm

Raw Food Diet > Advice on random prey model feeding
Marli

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 5:23pm PST 
Thanks everyone big grin I will definitely freeze the feeders before I feed then.
To Meridian, yes I have been thinking about giving raw meaty bones. I would probably stick with chicken first though. I have a question about that, Marli is 3 lbs, so how much should I feed her? Does it really matter amount wise since she is getting kibble that day? OR should I put down a chicken thigh or quarter and just let her eat as much as she can and let her fast from kibble till the next day?
thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 14 6:55 pm

Food & Nutrition > Finding the perfect food for my puppy

Marli

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 12:13am PST 
Thanks everyone! I'll go check out those brands and the siteway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 14 5:01 pm

Raw Food Diet > Advice on random prey model feeding

Marli

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 12:07am PST 
Was wondering if any one ever had a problem with random prey model feeding? I feed kibble but am hoping to switch to raw when I get a big enough place for a huge freezer. I do however want to get my puppy used to the idea of eating raw so she can make an easy switch when the time comes. I'm thinking of once or twice a week feeding a small mouse or rat, chick, baby bunny etc... She is part dachshund so I'm hoping she'll take a quick liking to it. Also is there any risk of parasites as she would be eating it whole?
Let me know if this will in anyway give her an upset stomach or anything or if there is something else I can feed....
thanks fellow pupswave
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 14 6:55 pm

Food & Nutrition > Finding the perfect food for my puppy

Marli

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 12:45am PST 
I am having trouble trying to pick out the perfect food for my 10 week old puppy. Lately there have been so many recalls that I wish I could go raw but meat is VERY expensive where I live right nowfrown Any advice on which food I should feed Marli that would be the safest but also healthy? Something with lots of meat ingredients and preferably with no grain or corn products?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 14 5:01 pm

Puppy Place > Advice on Socializing a Puppy?
Marli

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 12:29am PST 
I have adopted a 10 week old bichon/dachshund mix named Marli. The people I got her from never took her outside of her backyard and she hasn't been around strangers or new situations before. I know that this is a vital time to socialize her but she is really afraid of new people. She will cry, whine, and wiggle till the new person lets her go and she runs away if they try and pet her. She is fine with the family holding her she loves it but not strangers. I don't want to push her past her comfort level, because she might get too afraid and never want to be near strangers. How do I go about this in a way that would make her more comfortable?
Also I was told she needs all 3 sets of shots before going near new dogs. I would really like her to get socialized asap what should I do?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 2:08 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.