Postings by Bello's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Brittany

I always get the- last bark.

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:24am PST 
I joined this forum when I was in seventh grade (7 years ago!) while looking for information on breed specific legislation and it ended up teaching me so much more about dogs then I was looking for. Brittany thanks you all. Before Dogster she was eating Kibbles N' Bits and my family believed hitting her was the way to train. Now she's clicker trained and eats raw. It also managed to get me into photography thanks to the people and now I've got a pet photography business. I don't comment much anymore, but I'll be watching this and will definitely join another forum if the majority of you go to it as well. I was on dogforums.com but didn't comment much and ended up making a new account here after deleting it. I hang out on the dog training subreddit a lot on reddit now... but I don't think reddit would be an approrpiate platform for what you guys are searching for.
[notify]
» There has since been 512 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > He liked chicken just fine until last night...now he won't touch it
Bello

Herr Bello ist- nicht ein- Mensch!

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 7:57pm PST 
In the book Pukka's Promise, Ted said Pukka would often refuse what he was offered, and Ted would just put it back and get him something else out, Ted thought of it as his dog just not being in the mood for that particular thing. I thought it was interesting (his dog was fed raw, though he has more money than I do to have plenty of different proteins for Pukka to be picky about, mine personally don't). We do often don't want the same thing day after day, but we get mad when our dogs decide they don't want the same thing, or they decide they don't want that. Granted, if you can't find other meats to substitute the chicken for a few days then you will probably need to go the starving him out route, but maybe just try not offering him any chicken for around a week, and see if that changes his mind.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 20 8:15 pm

Raw Food Diet > Feeding raw in an apartment

Bello

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 7:31am PST 
Do you have any where in you apartment that is tile/linoleum where you can put the towel? That way he WANTS to keep the meat over the towel. Possibly buying a no slip rug or something for him to eat on, in case the towel is bunching up and stuff, that way it doesn't bunch up and leaves him with more room. I second the crate/ex-pen, but realize you are in an apartment so those might take a bit of room if you don't already have them set up. Do you possibly have a balcony he could eat on?

I'm also on the side of not reprimanding him, but my two can be food aggressive, so eating and not getting any trouble go well together for preventing it.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Sky, Sep 10 6:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Does anyone know how to teach or unteach lifting leg to pee?

Bello

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 12:08am PST 
You said about half the time he stills pees not lifting his leg, have you tried giving him a food reward when you catch him not lifting his leg? I know lifting his leg is more than likely reinforcing on its own so it could be a difficult habit to break, but maybe that would work. Someone mentioned a pee post which I think it a brilliant idea. If you don't have any luck with plants, maybe try putting up a row of posts along that fence so that he can pee on the posts, he would still be peeing on his favorite side of the yard, but the posts are far enough away from the neighbor's fence that he doesn't pee on their stuff. There is also the added benefit of still being able to play with the boxer. They sell stuff at the pet stores for potty training dogs that you can spray in places you would the dog TO pee, you could buy some of that and spray it on the posts for extra incentive to pee on them instead of the fence line, and try to reinforce those habits with a food reward as well. That's a whole slew of reinforcing stuff (peeing vertically, scent to encourage him, and food reward), and even if you can't get him to quit peeing along the fence, maybe after he pees on a couple posts, he won't have a steady stream to pee and instead just drops and your neighbor's stuff is still fine.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 21 9:51 am

Behavior & Training > Do you "do" Day Care? Please share!

Bello

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 3:01pm PST 
I have friends that have worked at PetSmart and Camp Bow Wow. And the stories they have told me have left me realizing that even if my dogs were friendly enough to go to day care, they wouldn't. The way the other employees treats the dogs is incredible (in a bad way) and if management would make the people follow the rules they wouldn't be so bad. But they don't, so both of them are pretty bad.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bello, Aug 10 3:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Any ideas on how to shape a behavior for showing teeth or a snarl? We keep running into scary people
Brittany

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 4:14pm PST 
I think barking would probably be best since it can be heard from further away then a snarl can be seen. But if you want her to snarl I was going to say something like what Jem did, but touch the whiskers on the side of her face. She'll probably lift her lips a little bit because it annoys her and she's trying to get her whiskers away from you. After that a few times you can probably stop touching her whiskers and maybe shape her to life both sides of her lips.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 31 6:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Augie lays on his side and "swims"

Brittany

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 4:12pm PST 
My dog does something similar, but she twitches instead of swimming. She typically does it after walks and will stare at me while she does it. Then she gets up and dashes around the house in a state of zoomies.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bosley , Aug 2 10:20 pm

Behavior & Training > Hello, everyone first post on here ! Recall with northern breeds and independent dogs??

Bello

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 1:16pm PST 
I think the going to new places is defintiley a good idea, mainly because if you go to enough good places, well then they will -slightly- lose their allure and she won't be as bad. Proof, proof, proof. It sounds like you have done a lot of the right things, and Bello was a tad bit like your girl in that as soon as the leash came off, he stopped caring. I once went to a pet store and they love to ask if I need help (and to be obnoxious because I get sick of being asked 8 billion times), I asked them what the best treats they had "that dogs go crazy for for teaching a dog to come when called." They took this to mean, "I want training advice." And proceeded to tell me to put him on a leash, ask him to come, and then drag him to me. To teach him to come. I laughed, I always laugh when I think about it. That might work for some dogs, but this dog isn't stupid. When that leash comes off, he knew I couldn't do anything too him. Luckily, he sticks around and doesn't take off running.

I think someone sort of suggested it, but make it so that she can't instantly slip out the door if someone leaves it cracked, put up a baby gate to keep her away from the door so she has to get past the baby gate and the door. For coming when called when she escapes, I have a feeling you will be fighting a losing battle. My Nana has a husky/lab/GSD/chow mix and for the longest time they thought he didn't know how to come when called (different scenerio from you) because he would run and dash away from them when outside. Turns out that was an "only when I shove through the door and escape" thing. If he is purposely let out, he comes when called like a champ, when he escapes? No chance in hell. He knows that he is just going to be caught and put back in the house. He is more handler oriented then your dog (sounds like), but for us to get him back in the house, we just walk back into the house and leave the door open. We aren't chasing him, he gets bored with in a few minutes and walks back in the house. Once he is inside we shut the door. So that's just to say, when it comes to getting out of the house, you might not ever convince her coming is worth it. Management would be the big thing there, making it really difficult to dash out. Teaching her to wait at the door anytime you exit or leave. Sometimes she gets to go with you, sometimes she doesn't, and hopefully she'll learn to like gambling, and that by waiting "this might be the time" she gets to go.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Jul 26 7:43 am

Behavior & Training > Hello, everyone first post on here ! Recall with northern breeds and independent dogs??

Bello

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 2:17am PST 
Can't help you much, but I was going to say if she's a huge escape artist like you say, instead of a long line, you might consider a tether so she can't chew through it (for when she is attached to you in the house or in the backyard, for running in parks I would think a normal drag line would be fine since she won't be focused on needing to be free, watch out for rope burn though!). And if you start tying her out in the backyard make absolutely sure she can't reach the fence with her tether. And I do suggest tying her out in the yard so she can no longer jump it. Also, Bello, who has husky in him, and only acted up when he was younger and wasn't allowed to get as much exercise (injured), would dig up tie outs when he was in the backyard, and just run around with a chunk of metal behind him. So find something to attach it too that is chew proof and dig up proof (like a tree). I also suggest more exercise as another dogster said. If you could do biking with her, you can get more exercise in for her with less effort from you, and it doesn't require her to be free to do it. Good luck!

I know you said you like people like Karen Pryor and what not, I'm assuming you have done clicker training with her? And have used it for teaching recall? Starting in the house where there isn't an environment to compete with. How is she inside with recall? Have you tried running away from her to get her to come back, especially if she is on a line, call her name, and start running away from her while still calling excitedly and pulling on her line, applying pressure, but not forcing her to come to you, but at least head the direction you are going (to come she would have to put slack in the line on her own, instead of being at the end of the line and encouraged to go your way). It also might be worth looking into the premack principle if you don't already know what it is. Use the environment to your benefit. For Bello, he loves to run, so I would ask him to come, and if he decided too, no treats for him we would just take off running down the street for a little bit. I didn't do it with him long, mainly because I'm not a runner in any form (I prefer walking thank you very much), but while I was I noticed a better response from him. If she wants to go sniff a tree or bush, don't let her until she does something you ask (like come!).

The line will be your bestie until she starts learning to come. I know it is tempting to let her offleash, to let her be free and run (such as at the park, in your backyard), but you can't. Because when she gets free and refuses to come, and you have to chase her down, it isn't going to be good for her overall training and could become a set back when it comes to teaching recall.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Jul 26 7:43 am

Behavior & Training > Reactive dog doesnt react to a specific breed?
Brittany

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 10:50pm PST 
Brittany is dog reactive and LOVES huskies and chihuahuas. She also has always been nice with puppies. I've seen her go running up to a puppy before when it hits her that it is a puppy mid charge and she will slam on the brakes, close her mouth, and sniff with hackles up only. She lets puppies get away with a LOT too. She is barely willing to growl at them, and I don't think she has ever snapped at one.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Jul 15 3:19 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.