Postings by Garbo's Family

GO!

Border Collie > border will not interact with other dogs

Zack

Watch me!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 5:28am PST 
Does he engage with playing with you/ humans? How long have you had him? If he plays with you, perhaps you can throw ball for him etc when the other dogs are playing together? It might take him a while to learn that he can play with the other dogs and you might need to accept that he will never be playful like they are. When I adopted Zack, who was also mistreated by the first owner, my dog trainer gave me wise advice - she said that I must give him opportunities but never force him to do anything that he is not ready for or does not want to do. Sounds like your doggie would benefit from that advice.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zack, Oct 12 5:28 am

Border Collie > Fearful/Aggresive Border Collie
Garbo

Bossy boots

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 4:30am PST 
Border Collies can be protective of their owner's "space" and are often not keen for other people and/or other dogs to come to close to their owners. My dogs went to puppy class, did Good Canine Citizen training, mix often with other dogs and people etc but Garbo did become a bit reactive when she was 1 year old. She has improved as she is moving out of her teenage stage. I make her sit or even down if she acts like you are describing and once she has obeyed and is no longer acting aggressively I tell her that she is a good dog etc. I think that she must know that she cannot flare up and that it is my job to reassure her that I am in control if it is just an ordinary interaction as you describe. One can be firm without being harsh as if the dog is acting out of fear, being harsh/ punishing will not work.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 30 2:06 pm

Dog Health > Juvenile Vaginitis

Garbo

Bossy boots

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 12:46am PST 
Are ther any other dogs out there who have been through what I have? I was spayed at 6 months and after that have had a lot of medical problems. I apparently had juvenile vaginitis when they spayed me and, as it is not a viris it cannot be treated with antibiotics. I needed the hormones that I no longer had after being spayed to get well so now I am on human Hormon Replacement Therapy but am struggling still.cry Not easy for a young dog. It makes Mum sad!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Garbo, Jul 11 12:46 am

Puppy Place > puppy scared the life outta me!!

Garbo

Bossy boots

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 4:20am PST 
My vet says that he sees more Border Collies for self inflicted injuries than any other breed frown Just keep an eye on your pup. Mine never ran over edges, but Garbo jumped very high trying to catch a bird flying overhead and then turned to look at me mid-leap then flipped down in a very awkward fall on her back on hard paving stones! I did have her X-rayed as she seemed very stiff a couple of days later. No long term injury but her Hamstring was strained and lots of infammation. She was on Traumeel (spelling?) for a while. Be warned, Border Collies might be smart but sometimes their over eagerness is predominant!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 30 11:52 pm

Puppy Place > Strange house training behavior....help?

Zack

Watch me!

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 5:39am PST 
Toto's advice is wise. We pups need you to come with us. My human normally hovered around the spot where we usually wee and said something inane like "wee wee time" and then when i went told me how clever I was "good wee, clever lad Zack" red face She said at times she needed to just look at the stars or the mountain cos she shouldn't interact with me too much else I might get distracted. If I didn't go she tried again in about 20 minutes. I only took 3 days to house train and the bonus is that now, if she is going to take me on a long car ride, she can just take me out and say the wee wee thing and I know to go cheer We all learn at different paces - good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Frankie, May 24 3:48 pm

Border Collie > What could my dad have been?
Zack

Watch me!

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 3:11am PST 
Ha ha you are the opposite of me - I have ridiculously large ears for a BC. It is so hard to see from a photo, but from front view your short ears and face shape look like a little bit of shar pei got into the mix as well as lab laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zack, May 23 3:11 am

Border Collie > What could my dad have been?

Zack

Watch me!

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 12:35am PST 
Hi. My human Mum rescued me from a shelter. My fur Mum was a small short hair Border Collie and the shelter thought my Dad was German Shepherd. I'm not very big and my legs are much shorter than most Border Collie puppies. I don't need to see/stare at my Mum all the time like she says her other BC have and I am also very calm and rather like to go off inot the garden alone! I think that I look like a stocky short leg tri-colour. Mum says I am just too cute for words and a very special mix!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zack, May 23 3:11 am

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > New members

Garbo

Bossy boots

Barked: Thu May 17, '12 12:17am PST 
Hi, my little brother (Zack) and I are new to Dogster. We are Border Collies so we give our Mum lots to think about and laugh about and as neither of us are adult dogs yet, we keep her life full of challenges!snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, May 26 8:13 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.