Postings by Ringo's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Food & Nutrition > Need for my puppy to GAIN weight! Ideas?
Ringo

Rapid Fire!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 8:29pm PST 
My nine month old German Coolie puppy has been on the thin side for months now. He was eating Diamond food for the first 3ish months of his life, then a mixture of Orijen Puppy and Blue WIlderness Puppy, then went straight to Orijen Puppy at around 6 months, then gradually onto adult Orijen at about 8 months.

I took him off of the puppy food because he has stopped growing upwards for some time now, but still really needs to fill out..enough that people have had the nerve to ask me if I've just rescued him off of the street, even though his ribs can't be seen unless he is stretching, but easily felt. His hip bones are more prominent. His legs are nicely toned, but his litter mates seem to be more filled out and while they eat raw and him on kibble, he is on a great kibble so I'm a little lost here.

He's about 28lbs at about 19" high and eats about two cups of Orijen a day. Any suggestions of another good quality food maybe with higher calorie count? Or other ways to help me gain some weight on this boy?! He is active, but not so much that it should be eating all of his food away!

I'm not talking about moth balls or cottage cheese or anything like that, I'm looking for a long term solution please!!! Thank you smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Meridian, Oct 25 5:52 pm

Food & Nutrition > Orijen shortages: alternatives?
Ringo

Rapid Fire!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 8:18pm PST 
Yes, Evo is definitely the closest. I am in the same boat as you and am actually considering switching to Evo permanently!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ringo, Oct 18 8:18 pm

Food & Nutrition > Kongs are too difficult

Amber

Angel Eye Amber,- CGC

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 8:16pm PST 
I have one dog that gives up and has this problem. But I simply toss it on over to any of the other dogs and it will be gone in minutes! If they want it bad enough, they'll get it party

Mine that has troubles getting it out is seven years old and I think she's just losing interest quicker!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Barney, friend of Lennox, Oct 22 10:08 pm

Raw Food Diet > Prey-Model Raw Diet

Amber

Angel Eye Amber,- CGC

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 8:52pm PST 
So I have been educating myself for months on information for switching my dogs onto raw diet, but the more I read and learn, the more questions I have! Looking for some helpful information from people that feed following the prey-model raw..

Do you guys supplement with anything? Obviously with the prey-model you feed only meat, bones, organs etc. But does anyone fear that their dogs aren't receiving enough __(insert nutrient here)__?

How often do you guys mix it up? Like three days a week maybe their meals are muscle meat, then two days you mix meat with bone and two days meat and organ- something like this?? This is the real thing I wonder most about..

I understand that generally, you feed 2-3% of your dogs body weight daily, but are there any guidelines anyone has found useful as far as age/breed/lifestyle that would impact this that makes more sense? I have an almost 8 month old puppy and a 7 year old dog, both very active and don't keep weight on them easily (and eating Orijen currently)... just looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for me for when I do finally switch?

I wish I knew of a good pet nutritionalist in my area to discuss this all with, but I do not and my vets don't necessarily support or are knowledgable in raw diets. I have a number of links saved as bookmarks on my laptop and refer to them often, but would love some advice from individuals!!

Thank you big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Winston-dog, Sep 12 1:59 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Australian Koolie (German Koolie)

Ringo

Rapid Fire!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 4:57pm PST 
I have a Coolie and he is quite the dog! Lovely drives and the perfect amount of intensity, when called for. He can also be a complete goof, which I really enjoy too.

What made me want to post a reply (seeing how this thread is a few months old!) is that someone mentioned above that the C/Koolie they knew was a one person dog, but mine as well as others I know are actually very outgoing! Of course a lot has to do with upbringing, but I've also had a Border Collie and have a little Aussie and they were more of the one person-velcro-type dogs and they were raised the same as him. My Coolie has full focus on me for the vast majority of the time, but as soon as I say "Let's go say hi!" as we approach someone, he loves wiggling on over to whoever the new victim is and just smothers them with wet ones as he wags his entire body!

My guy is only 7 months now, and of course has tons of energy, but he releases that energy with the outlets I provide and then is the perfect house pet. In short, when the guidelines are clear and they are given some activity/job, they are more than happy to just go with the flow of your daily life..as long as they are included! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 10 1:17 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Working Dogs?
Ringo

Rapid Fire!

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 9:54pm PST 
I am always curious as to what breeds people find are the best all around workers. I have friends that breed many different working breed, working line dogs and know many more that own them...and it seems there are always the two main ones that pop up. The Germans Shepherds and the Border Collies. I've owned a few of both, but I am looking to add another working pup sometime in the not-so-near future, and would like fellow dog lovers input on "their breed" of working dog.
I know it will vary greatly from sport to sport as well... I probably would get another BC for herding, or another GSD for Sch/IPO, and a Malinois for Ring Sport, Lab for field work etc, etc.. but I am talking overall. Someone that wants to take one dog and compete in many things- what would your ideal breed be? thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 4:45 pm

Raw Food Diet > Question about raw diet?

Amber

Angel Eye Amber,- CGC

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 11:22pm PST 
Awesome, thanks so much for the input!

I do many of the things you all have listed, and was just so worried that my dogs would all of a sudden build up this intolerance for anything except raw....because that is what I seemed to had read once or twice in a few articles I stumbled across online.

My dogs fortunately have always had iron stomachs (aside from a foster GSD!) and so I don't see it being a problem mixing in treats and kibble for training. I use a lot of dehydrated liver and what not as well already.

Great to know that I won't have to have meat-hands while working on agility and such big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cookie, Jun 27 8:04 pm

Raw Food Diet > Question about raw diet?

Amber

Angel Eye Amber,- CGC

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 5:56pm PST 
I'm being converted into realizing I do want to feed my dogs raw diet. I've done the research for about a year now, and know I want to start my furry ones on the prey model raw diet soon, but I have one more concern about it.

I've read that you cannot feed kibble while feeding a raw diet because it confuses the body. That definitely makes sense. But then my question is, what do you raw feeders feed as treats? Do you feed ground meat and cut up pieces of the raw food as treats and that's it?

I ask because my dogs get a large portion of their meals through training sessions generally (and I use mostly their kibble, Orijen, as their "treats") and I'm trying to figure out how this could work on a raw diet. Does this mean their bodies will no longer tolerate the treats I buy or any small amount of kibble anymore? This has always been my main predicament.... any input? Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Cookie, Jun 27 8:04 pm

Behavior & Training > 'An Untrained Dog Won't Protect Its Owner'

Bonnie

I've been- adopted to my- new home!

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 10:11pm PST 
Funny enough, I actually stumbled across this video over the past weekend and just laughed to myself a bit!

If you look at the "Untrained Dogs" before the intimidator even appeared (during introductions), you can just look at them and see that they are certainly softer temperament type dogs to begin with, even if they are GSDs. Tried my "soft" GSD in protection because the opportunity was given, and I admit it was just silly to see her reaction. She didn't cower, but stress yawned once or twice and was panting.. I believe she even laid down after a minute.

A set up scene like this is exactly what protection dogs are trained for, and I don't doubt at all they would be able to act the same in a real life situation.

BUT my softer GSD that "failed" protection training is also the dog that when walking with at night, she is the most intimidating thing anyone would hope to never cross if she is looking at you as a suspect. Would she bite? Highly unlikely. Would anyone approach a dog with the confidence to stare back? Not if their smart! A confident dog is intimidating- because the "attacker" around you has no clue whether or not he/she will bite or is even trained to do so. And to me, that is protecting. If I walk alone at night and someone saw me, they wouldn't think twice about approaching me. But with a dog staring them right in the eye (regardless of breed)... the odds flip significantly!
[notify]
» There has since been 47 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Oct 20 5:46 pm

Puppy Place > Wire Crate
Ringo

Rapid Fire!

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 9:56pm PST 
So sorry to hear your pup is having some not-so-pleasurable experiences in this new crate!

I've never even thought about the toes getting caught, but I see dogs at the kennels I've worked in get their jaws temporarily stuck quite often. We generally end up trying to discourage the biting by spraying bitter apple so that they don't want to try it again. Usually works, for the adult dogs. My puppy hasn't tried this, but he will pull the clip-on bowl off of the crate door and onto the crate floor in being destructive... I usually just try and make sure he is always occupied with a bully stick or something? Haven't seen him try in a while now...

For the toes getting caught, maybe try a liner on the inside of the crate temporarily? It's also risky because if not secured right, the puppy could pull it in and chew on a piece of the liner. One thing I do do is put a relatively big bed or towel down so that the edges are covered at least, so the crate tray endues aren't exposed, leaving a gap.

Hope this helps a little..best of luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 10 2:51 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.