Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Does my dog need something more from us, or is it just a phase?
Maggie Mae

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 9:20pm PST 
What you are doing is perfectly right, and so is your question. Your dog wants to be challenged. He sounds like he enjoys training and even we want more of something if we like it? He is still young, and still a sponge, and a golden to boot! Start teaching him tricks or agility or even therapy dog stuff like opening doors and picking up dropped socks from the laundry etc. Get him some smart toys even to keep him occupied. You have a smart boy. Even human boys act out when they can't communicate what they really want.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 10 9:31 pm

Behavior & Training > Petco Trainning or Petsmart?
Maggie Mae

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 9:15pm PST 
Unfortunately I've had clients in both of their programs. If you are good at what you do, then they need a competent trainer and they'd be better to have you. Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 5:31 am

Behavior & Training > house training in special circumstances

Maggie Mae

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 9:10pm PST 
OK, what you're doing with the pads/paper is good, she is already associating that it's ok for now to go on the paper since she has trust issues. The worst thing you can do is exacerbate that by trying over and over again to lead her outside with a leash. So let's take care of both of those problems. For the potty training, move the pads a foot at a time towards the door to outside, if she follows the paper with her excrement you are well on your way. Gradually continue to do that praising her every time she goes on the paper as your cleaning it up to reinforce that it's a good thing. Finally, put the paper outside (it should take 2 weeks tops depending how well she follows the paper) and give her the best praise ever when she goes on the one outside. If you have glass windows, that's perfect, but if it's a solid door, make sure she sees you put down the one outside.

Now with the leash, for this one I would wait until all the puppies are gone. We need to create a good association with the leash. First, that the leash itself is harmless. Throughout the day, (you'll know her limit) attach a leash and just let her go with the leash on inside dragging. Leave it on for about a half hour, then take it off with lots of praise. Desensitize her by picking it up when she's laying at your feet, or sitting next to you, or being petted. Then start walking a few steps at a time, and then dropping it etc. Then walking her in the backyard, then walking her around the block etc.

She'll get there, it just takes patience, consistency and the want to get her her forever home that she deserves. Thank you for being a foster.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jul 9 11:44 am

Behavior & Training > How do I do this?

Maggie Mae

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:54pm PST 
Your question is great! You have 1/2 the tools already. First, you know what you don't want him to do face
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jul 9 7:16 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Starting Over.

Susie Q.

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 5:58pm PST 
I've been adopted!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 20 6:32 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > I'm available in New Jersey
Barnaby - *ADOPTED*

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 5:58pm PST 
Thank you!!! I am a really good boy, and anyone who will come to see me I'm sure will fall in love ... It's just the getting them here to see me part that we're working on. Know of anywhere besides craigslist where I can post him?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:15 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Hey I'm the right dog!

Maggie Mae

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 8:53am PST 
Well, technically we could keep him, and yes he is great with the dogs (except with bones.) But I need the space for other rehabilitation cases like susie q. - My goal is to help those dogs that would otherwise spend their entire life in a no-kill shelter due to their anxiety or previous abuse.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 13 8:53 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Or I might be!

Susie Q.

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 8:06pm PST 
I've been abused and need a loving home. Know anybody looking? It could be you! Read more about me here http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1243732#diary
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 8:06 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Hey I'm the right dog!

Barnaby - *ADOPTED*

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 8:04pm PST 
If you're looking, take a look at me! Learn more about me here! http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1243736#diary
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 13 8:53 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Starting Over.
Susie Q.

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 6:10pm PST 
Thanks for your well wishes. You obviously know dogs too, because that's what we have been doing to get her as adjusted as she is right now. She is improving daily. We have a couple foster's here that we rehabilitate and find perfect (fingers crossed) homes for them. Mostly abused bully breeds.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 20 6:32 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.