Postings by Truck (SD)'s Family

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > What to do if I have an access challenge at a flea market?

Truck (SD)

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 8:56am PST 
Let me start of by saying that I've never had an access challenge before as long as I've had Truck as a SD, or even a SDiT. Not even when I moved into a college dorm (ASU is really good about SDs, if any of you were looking for schools).I don't know why, but I feel like today might be the day.

So the thing is, I was wondering if yall could give me responses to some questions that I could memorize. I don't have a lot of confidence and am really paranoid about just saying "okay, I'll leave."

"No dogs allowed." Simple enough question.
"Well is he a seeing-eye dog?" or "You're not blind."
"Do you have proof?" or "Can I see his papers?" He does wear a vest, so that's helpful.

Thank you!

Also, there's a sign on one of our lecture hall doors that says "Seeing-eye/hearing dogs only." Which I thought was really strange cause 1) There's the exact same sign on the other side of the door that says service dogs only, and 2) People try to bring pets to lecture? Ha. Anyway, I was wondering about how to get that sign changed. Should I just speak with the disability resource center? I thought that maybe I could mention that "seeing-eye" us the name of a program. Any tips about what I could say?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Max-SD, Oct 5 1:33 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Enough time for this?
Truck (SD)

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 12:54am PST 
I was seeing a psychiatrist a long while ago, but he stopped taking my insurance. I only saw him twice, and was planning to bring up having Truck as my PSD. -sigh- I've been pestering my mother about finding a new one (I'm only 18 in four days), because I really want to bring him to college with me. I honestly don't think I could go without him, because I have severe social anxiety and am a dermatillomanic.

So we finally found a psychiatrist today, and I have an appointment for this Tuesday. School starts in one month. Is it possible to get everything done to bring him in this short amount of time? I mean, I haven't even been diagnosed yet. Would it be wrong to mention wanting a SD the first time I meet the doctor?

I've been planning for months with the assumption that we'd find a doctor much sooner. We've done both public access training and task training. These are the tasks he can do 100%:

-Stand on my knees when I'm shaking (or if I'm standing up, nudge me).
-Nudge or paw me when I'm picking at my skin.

I'm currently working on teaching him to stand between me and strangers when I'm eating (fear of eating in public).

Oh, and I do plan to stay in a dorm.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 4:42 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > University SD Policies

Truck (SD)

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 7:15pm PST 
I am most likely going to ASU next year, and I intend to bring my dog with me. However, I was reading their FAQ, and it says:

"Service animals have received specialized training and are certified to assist individuals with a documented disability who need service animal assistance in daily living."

My dog is a SDiT (he alerts to panic attacks, signs of anxiety, etc.) I wonder what they mean about "certified," as I know certification is not required for SDs. And could I still take him, even though he's a SDiT? Arizona does allow SDiT in public places.

I'll have to call and ask these things, but since I hate talking on the phone I thought I'd ask here too.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by U, Feb 18 8:52 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > General SD attitude based on location

Truck (SD)

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 7:46pm PST 
I live in Arizona, and I've only seen one service dog in the two years I've lived here. I don't see fakers either, though I suppose it's because people don't want to drag around a dog in 115 degree heat. I guess I'll see how accepting people are of service dogs in about a week.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 8 10:33 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > PSD...How to?

Sophie

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 10:42am PST 
Thank you guys so so much. I am going to make sure my dog can alert 100% at home and in dog-friendly places before I start with stores and such. That way I can avoid any problems that may occur. I will also talk with my doctor about me being classified as disabled, and I am going to make a list of things my dog can do for me. I'll also provide him with information from the PSD website. I actually used to work at a dog training club, so having a trainer work with me shouldn't be a problem. Again, thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 11:31 am

Sophie

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 9:13am PST 
So all I have to do is get approval from my psychiatrist and then I can buy a vest and take my dog in public places for training? Then when he's ready (six months?) I take the PAT?

So then if I don't have to do anything legally to have him as a PSD, if I'm challenged do I have to prove to a court or something that he alerts?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 11:31 am

Sophie

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 10:59pm PST 
So I have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder by my psychiatrist and am on medication. Basically when I get in social situations it's really hard to speak, and I do nervous behaviors like shaking my legs and scratching my arms.

I have a PW Corgi called Truck. I want to know how I go about getting him to become my PSD. When I'm with him I feel so much more relaxed around people, to the point where I'm almost normal. I know that a service dog has to perform a task, so I've begun training him to nudge me when I start shaking (because I'm not usually aware of it) so I can calm down. He's actually really good at it. I'm also going to train him to alert me when I scratch, too. He already has his CGC, and a CDX title.

So anyway, can anyone give me information about how I can have him legally my PSD? So far I've found that I have to get a letter from my phys. and then my dog will have to pass a public access test. But what else do I have to do? How do I get permission to bring him into public places during his training?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Feb 5 11:31 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.