Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Behavior & Training > Proofing the recall
Skarlet

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 8:29am PST 
Skarlet has a good recall, if she's out and about running she will always come right away unless she is already going after something. Even then she'll come some of the time, but sometimes the chase is too exciting and she'll often notice the deer before I do.
Working on me with a command she is %100, she would never leave my side in an off leash heel for any deer or anything, but I like to give her some space to explore so that she can have fun and use more energy or play with other dogs on occasion.
We have lots of land and she always comes right back after she chases them into the woods so it's never been a problem. But now I would like to be able to take her camping and hiking and other fun things and let her be off leash where it's allowed. In order to that though I need to KNOW that she will come.
Those of you with perfect recalls, how did you do it? What would you suggest? Any good books or training tips?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 29 12:41 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Help - adopted shelter dog just sent me to hospital... Heartbroken.
Skarlet

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 9:54pm PST 
Honestly, I wouldn't have all the testing done. I would have him euthanized. While it may have been "provoked" he wouldn't let go.. a growl or snap is one thing. Even a quick bite might be workable. But to bite and hold like that? It just isn't safe. I'm sorry you are going through this frown
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 2 9:42 am

Behavior & Training > Try the Dog Personality Test

Skarlet

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 1:13pm PST 
Skarlet got flagged for low energy too! Which seems a bit ridiculous to me. I think perhaps it's because she does get enough exercise and training so she's not overly excitable and she calms down really fast.
She has just as much energy as most dogs, she just controls it better than many I think smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 11 8:30 am

Behavior & Training > Why do trainers insist that "positive training" doesn't work?

Skarlet

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 12:49pm PST 
I think it's not even as much that it doesn't work, but sometimes positive training only is unrealistic.
I do agility with Skarlet now and then, and we've done obedience. All of that I think I could have trained without corrections, and I used very few.
However, I live on a farm. Skarlet not only has herding drive, she has prey drive. If she is not absolutely convinced that a cat belongs on the farm she will go after it, and she is serious about dispatching what she sees as an issue!
Perfecting her recall enough and teaching her to ignore cats using treats? Then being able to trust her enough to let her off leash while I'm doing barn chores and my mind is preoccupied?? She would have been locked inside all the time and she LOVES barn chores. Yeah, I gave her corrections. It worked fast and well, and the barn is still Skarlet's favorite place to go.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , May 8 12:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Cesar Without the Drama....Like for REAL, lol!

Skarlet

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 12:55pm PST 
This is really interesting. I love how they have a group of well mannered dogs to start with, I feel like those are rare. I find many dogs that are "good with other dogs" are ridiculously friendly and don't listen to a dog's 'back off' signals like these did. It's right in my area too! I might find out more about him...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 1 5:23 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > I need advise for possibly finding my baby girl a new home :(
Skarlet

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 4:37pm PST 
You can list her on Rescue Me, just be sure to ask for a rehoming fee and references. Do not just give her away to someone that "sounds like a good home" unless you know for sure.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 19 4:37 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Beaucerons, more info please?

Bella

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 7:20pm PST 
Definitely contact a breeder even if you aren't sure yet. They'll be happy to know that you are putting in the time to do the research and really consider if they're right for you.
My mom used to breed English Shepherds, which not very many people are familiar with, and she never minded talking about them to someone who wasn't sure about the breed and explaining what kind of homes they are suitable for.

And please, if you do, post what you found out on here smile they are beautiful dogs and from what I've heard sound awesome, really versatile and similar to GSD in a lot of ways but I've never personally talked to someone that actually owned one, just read about them online. Would love to hear what you find!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 25 6:51 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > i know someone who wants to breed dogs. dont know what to tell them

Skarlet

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 10:48am PST 
I remember as a teen showing one of my friends my half grown puppy and their comment on how much they loved puppies and dogs. And then they proceeded to tell me that some day they'd like to have a "puppy farm."

My mom had been a very responsible breeder and I was raised with a great awareness of the difference between that, byb, and puppy mills and what can happen to unwanted puppies or dogs. I just remember being so shocked that my friends were so clueless, they did really like dogs and took good care of their own, just had no idea.

I still am often suprised at people's lack of knowledge about that, and where pet store puppies come from. It's so discouraging realizing how many people are are either clueless or honestly just don't care. At least some will change their minds with education though.
I sure hope your friend changes her mind!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 14 10:44 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Is there anything i can do? Prong collars for basic obedience

Bella

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 7:31pm PST 
Hate stuff like this. Not only is awful for the poor puppies but it makes things like prong collars seem like evil torture devices because that's basically how they are being used.

I did use a prong collar on a dog I was training agility once, he was an adult male, very strong and not at all touch sensitive and I was young. I don't remember really using it, it was just there so that if I needed it I would have a little more control than a normal collar.

He looked forward to it being put on though, which is the way it should be with any of that type of tool being use for training. He had so much positive interaction with it on that that's what he expected, lots of fun and goodies.

Prong collars aren't bad, but sometimes the people that use them are!

I sure hope you can do something about this, at least get the word out about these awful trainers.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 3:57 am

Dog Health > FHO in Larger Dogs?
Skarlet

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 11:09am PST 
Hmmm... that's interesting. I am curious about other people's take on this too.

Anytime Skarlet notices certain family members come over to talk to me she runs over between us and lays her head in my lap if I'm sitting or just stands there between us. It doesn't matter if I'm awake.

With her it is almost always someone she knows, but does not view as stable and trustworthy. I don't let Skarlet do that anymore, I redirect her to the other side of me and have her sit.

I have always thought of her behavior as "interrupting". I have a book on calming signals and they talk about how dogs will interrupt a tense situation between other dogs by simply walking or standing in between.

I personally have noticed it is extremely effective in the dog world and is quite often respected whether it is used by humans or dogs. I've used it many times. When I notice too much tension, one dog getting uncomfortable or I just don't want them interacting. Of course some dogs don't respect it but many do and the dog you are doing on behalf of if one is uncomfortable usually relaxes a bit.

From my understanding it's just letting the dog know you are aware of what is going on and want things to stay peaceful, and you are willing to intervene if it becomes necessary.

So if that's what your dogs are doing maybe they are uncomfortable with the situation, and are doing it as a way to both alert you and let the other person know they are aware of the situation and want things to stay peaceful? The dog might being looking scared because it doesn't want conflict but feels that you are in a very vulnerable position and need that.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 24 5:56 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.