Postings by Ellie, CGC's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Choosing the Right Dog > Guess my mutt!
Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 8:31am PST 
Thanks for all of the responses guys! I love my mutt and though it matters nothing to me what mix she is, its always fun to quess!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Nov 25 9:17 am

Behavior & Training > Barking only at children holding objects
Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Fri Nov 22, '13 10:09pm PST 
Thank you so much for the responses! This literally was the only problem I have had with her that we haven't quite gotten through YET. I was so worried about this, as we are very close to the final evaluation to become a therapy dog team. But we will be doing all nursing homes as she loves older people the most. Thanks again smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ellie, CGC, Nov 22 10:09 pm

Behavior & Training > Barking only at children holding objects

Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 10:15pm PST 
Hey guys, I need help with some behavior/training advice. Ellie is absolutely wonderful with people, readily goes up to strangers for pets and such. Admittedly, she seems initially more wary of children, but only the ones who come running over or are screaming and waving around, and her reaction is just her ears raising slightly. However, she usually can just be reassured by me and will absolutely accept pets from them. I have been taking every opportunity to socialize her more with children anywhere we go, and have even taken her to the playground and asked parents if they wouldn't mind having their kids pet her.

However, the one thing that makes her bark and even growl is a little kid with an object in their hand. Last month, we were at a Halloween festival and a little girl who had been in our group and Ellie had gotten on fine with, came running around us waving a little flag in her hands and squealing. Ellie got rigid and growled and barked at her. I was able to kneel down with her and assure her and after a solid 30 seconds of being tense, she finally relaxed and was ok. Then, today, we were going hiking and I was getting my stuff together in the parking lot. Next to us there must have a been a field trip of children, maybe 10 of them. A small girl, about 4, saw Ellie and wanted to come pet her so she and a little boy approached. The girl had a teddy bear in her hand and was calm and the boy had a hat on and was staring very intensely directly at Ellie. Ellie started barking and growled before I even knew what was happening, and backed up trying to get behind me. The girl stopped approaching but the boy, oddly, still came towards us until the father came over and got him. It might be worth mentioning that we later met this group including the girl and boy on the trail and Ellie didn't even bat an eye, totally normal how she always is.

Sorry that was so long! But my main question, obviously, is how do I stop this behavior that stems from a very specific set of events? Thanks for any advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ellie, CGC, Nov 22 10:09 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Guess my mutt!

Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Tue Nov 5, '13 10:52pm PST 
Hey guys! I want some ideas on what my girl Ellie could be. I think she looks a lot like a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, but considering how rare they are, especially in AZ, I highly doubt she is that. Some people have mentioned a Brittany...

Her temperament is one of high energy when required, such as on hikes or at the dog park. But she definitely has an off switch at the house. She is submissive and is very friendly with people, willing to go up and meet strangers. She weighs 28.5 lbs and is muscular but thin and lithe.

Full body

Full body with full tail

Front view

Front view close-up

Brittany?

EAR FLUFF!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Nov 25 9:17 am

Behavior & Training > Need help stopping scavenging behavior for therapy work

Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Fri Nov 1, '13 9:03am PST 
So I am hoping to start volunteering for an organization that uses pets for visitation/therapy work in nursing homes. Ellie has passed her CGC and is quite obedient, loves people and is always game for a cuddle session. But she is very food motivated and is usually searching for food on the floor. I don't want her to be ignoring the patients for a bit to first search the perimeter for crumbs. Is there any way to start training for this? I have tried to google this a bit and have found that most people recommend the "leave it" command, which Ellie already knows. She will leave the scrap physically, but she will continue to stare at it and all of her attention is there. Just looking for some advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Nov 5 9:22 am

Dog Health > Ellie peed in the bed last night
Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 11:57am PST 
Ok that's kind of what I was thinking. She is acting completely normal otherwise. The plan now is just to monitor her closely and I will also give her a bit of cranberry juice in her food for a few weeks. Just as a precaution. Either the juice or a powder.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 14 5:52 pm

Dog Health > Ellie peed in the bed last night

Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 10:26am PST 
Hello! We had a bizarre incident last night. Ellie was asleep with me and my boyfriend last night in his bed. I woke up in the middle of the night to move her as I was hot and noticed it was wet under her. Well she definitely peed herself and she looked quite astonished when I woke her as she was smelling herself and the bed and then started to groom herself. Her whole side was wet as well. She has never had a UTI, doesn't seem to have changed habits at all with regards to peeing or water consumption. And she has literally never had an accident ever for the year and a half that I've had her. She is approximately 2.5-3 years old and was spayed last summer. Any idea if this was a one time bed wetting? I'm really hesitant to think this is a UTI or spay incontinence. Thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 14 5:52 pm

Behavior & Training > Nervous Around Children

Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 10:47am PST 
Hey guys, I need some advice. My dog Ellie is with my family here in Iowa visiting my Grandparents. We just got here a few days ago and she has been doing great, very polite, loves the snow. But I do have something to think about. There were some neighbor girls that wanted to come over to meet Ellie. I know that Ellie is nervous around younger children as they are loud and move unpredictable. But whenever we meet them, it's usually at the pet store or out in public and she does well when I tell them how to pet her gently and I'm right there with her as she sits really close to me. She had never been aggressive, just tries to sit closer to me. Again, no snapping, growling, snarling, etc. Anyways, this little 5 year old girl came over and opens the front door and bursts in the house. Ellie runs up to the door and is startled by her. She barks a few short barks then retreats to me. The little girl is wearing a huge puffy jacket and bifocals which may have contributed. But I just take Ellie to the living room and have her sit while I distract her with the toy. She plays with it but moves quickly to sit closer to me when the little girl tries to move closer. I watched her closely or any signs of aggression, none. Uncomfortable but she doesn't seem to be pushed close to get limit or anything. Then the other neighbor girl enters the house. She is older, maybe 10 and doesn't have a jacket or glasses. Ellie is fine with her and goes up to her to be petted and have some sniffs. Ellie does one small growl when the little girl starts to run all around the room doing dance moves and making moves. However, just to be clear, I was under control of her at all times.

I'm looking for advice to make Ellie feel better around kids that are loud. I have treats I will have them give her when they come over next and I think we will all go on a walk later with I hope will encourage positive interactions. Any other advice? Again, I want to be clear that at no point was there a fear or the possibility that Ellie would try or even could bite the girl. Also, I'd she gets too nervous, which I am looking out for, I will put her up in my room until they are gone.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Dec 22 12:12 am

Choosing the Right Dog > DNA test cannot possibly be right...

Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:22pm PST 
So I just got Ellie's DNA test back... it cannot be right!
It says she is mixed with one mixed breed parent and a miniature poodle/chow chow parent. The options that the mixed breed parent could be are Tibetan terrier, English cocker spaniel, Jindo, Dandie dinmont terrier, and Akita. This was done by the Wisdom Panel and I've heard good things about it from pretty much everyone. Has anyone else gotten faulty results?
I was under the impression that Ellie's results would come back with some border collie or the like. All of her puppies are now looking like border collie mixes. While I think she looks somewhat like a Nova Scotia retriever, these results just don't make sense!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Theo, Dec 15 6:16 pm

Raw Food Diet > Adjusting food intake in a colder climate?
Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:11pm PST 
Hello! So Ellie and I will be traveling to Iowa next Monday for 10 days. I feed Stella and Chewies pre made raw as it is the lowest calorie of the premade. Usually I look for higher calorie things but Ellie needs to lose about a pound more and we've been on a weight loss journey for a few months now. Anywho, she normally gets 2 small patties (3 ounces) per meal mixed with salmon oil and Fruitables Weight Loss Pumpkin. In the evening with her food, she gets some supplements like digestive enzymes, probiotics, diatomaceous earth, and Inflight coat supplement. But it only works out to 6 ounces of raw per day! This seems like a very small portion but it has been approved by my holistic vet and we've been n this routine for quite a bit now with no muscle wasting or anything of the sort. She also runs with me for a solid 2 miles a day, and we hike for about an hour at least once a week.

But this is all in Arizona where it's still 70 in December. I'm expecting it to get down in the 10-20 in Iowa. I have the appropriate booties and jacket for her, but I need to figure out if I should increase her feeding. How much do you increase? Is it a percentage? She will probably be just as active if not more so in Iowa with me. Thanks for the help!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ikan, Dec 11 8:43 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.