GO!

(Page 1 of 63: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > my dog wont come when I call her
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 5:09am PST 
Reward reward reward.

If she absolutely never ever comes to you, start in a quiet room with no distractions. Say her name and give her a very high-value treat. Keep sessions short(about five minutes) and interesting, and always end on a positive, happy note. After training sessions, I "jackpot" Lobo(that is, I provide him with three to four "free" treats at the end of the session). This will leave her excited for the next session. Working at her pace, gradually increase the distractions. For example, don't expect her to run to you after the first session if she's chasing a rabbit.

As others have said, make sure her recall cue is never associated with something negative. Lobo's recall is his name and/or a whistle, so I make sure when I say Lobo's name it's a good thing and means good things are happening(same thing with the whistle). Naturally, I'm not perfect, so I make mistakes. XD Mistakes are okay, as long as you learn from them and try to do better next time. Another idea that was given to me, was to teach them their recall in a variety of voices so that, even when your voice is stressed and angry, they're still happy to come to you because you used positive reinforcement to do so! (: I do this with Lobo's name since, as I said, I have made mistakes and I wanted to fix them while I'm still learning.

Good luck with your dog! (:
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 8 8:17 am

Behavior & Training > how to stop pulling on leash
Lobo

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 4:56am PST 
The halter - and really every other training tool out there, including no-pull harnesses - work by applying pressure and forcing the dog to stop pulling. I try to do more errorless training with my dogs, but obviously that's not everyone's thing.

Anyways, be sure to remember to use very high-value rewards to teach your dog what TO do(which is walk on a loose leash). Good luck with Panda. (:
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 27 4:56 am

Behavior & Training > Can dogs be 'mean' or 'evil'?

Lobo

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 11:02pm PST 
Well, I mean, dogs don't have a sense of morals, so I don't think they're necessarily "mean" or "evil" in a human sense. I think they tend to do things that are, well, fun for them or rewarding for them.

I'm kind of jealous, haha. Lobo and Poppy rarely even interact with each other, unless it's Poppy curling up with Lobo. I wouldn't mind "sibling rivalry" at all, if it meant they'd do something other than ignore each other, haha. But, I'd rather they ignore each other than fight, so we don't worry over it. They're pretty respectful of each other.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 20 11:02 pm

Behavior & Training > What motivates your dog?

Lobo

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 10:21pm PST 
For Lobo, it depends on the context. The more we work together, the more he seems to genuinely want to WORK more than play. Which I guess isn't that surprising, since he's not that type of a dog. He's a serious old oaf.

I think meat tops the list(chicken, specifically; he doesn't really like the processed stuff lol), with real cheese a close second(as in, he prefers chicken normally, but he likes it when I change it up randomly with cheese; if I use meat too much, he gets bored and stops working).
Kibble is actually pretty high on the list. I think that's probably because he eats raw meat, while Poppy eats kibble, haha. I think raw meat and kibble is pretty equal, though.
He LOVES to play chase/tag and wrestling.
Tug toys are next.
Tennis balls he enjoys, but he's not much of a fetching dog.
And praise/petting is probably last on the list, haha. When I come home, yeah, he loves to be scratched and massaged, and after a nice game of wrestling, we cuddle together and rest for a few seconds. But when he's learning, I better not expect praise to go very far, haha.

You know, there have been times when, while we're working, Lobo takes the food and spits it back out after the click. It's only happened once or twice, but I think, when we're really in the zone, he works more for the click than anything else. Which is AWESOME. (:
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 22 12:35 am

Behavior & Training > Whale Eye

Lobo

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 10:08pm PST 
A whale eye, as others have said, is just one little piece. It could mean nothing, it could mean a lot. Poppy is a fearful and nervous dog, but even when he's calm and relaxed, you can see the whites of his eyes. Lobo is one of the most confident dogs in the neighborhood, but sometimes you can see the whites of his eyes when he's just looking around and is otherwise relaxed. He has very round eyes, but his eyelids are more... squinty? It's like his eyes wanted to be Husky-ish, but the lids decided to go a more... Akita route. XD So even a small glance gives you some white.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 21 1:06 am

Behavior & Training > Dominance and Agression?
Lobo

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 3:10pm PST 
Yepyep! (: You don't have to be domineering or physical in order to get yourself a dog who's willing - and happy - to do what you ask! Positive doesn't mean permissive. ;D

Just ask my lovely Akita/Husky mix here, Lobo. XD
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 4 12:02 pm

Lobo

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:48pm PST 
Definitely agree, Winnie Mae. You also don't want to create a dog who isn't confident. I play games that Lobo wins, because, simply, I like it when he wins. It doesn't effect our relationship at all. It's just a *game* lolol. I respect him when he asks, and he respects me. (By that, I mean he lets me know what he's had enough, and I let him know when I've had enough.)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Feb 4 12:02 pm

Behavior & Training > Would you work with another Behaviourist?

Lobo

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 9:04am PST 
I would definitely give it a try!

I plan on paying for a behaviorist for Poppy, because I know my grandparents won't, and I would like to have someone come in and better assess him.

To me, if there's a chance of helping Poppy not to be so afraid, it's worth it. (:
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 25 9:04 am

Lobo

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:55am PST 
In my experience, using corrections on a dog that is growling can actually exacerbate the issue. It definitely did with Lobo.

Instead, when Max is interacting in a good way with other dogs, reward him with something that he really, REALLY loves. That can be yummy food(Lobo's favorite is cooked chicken or liver), or an awesome toy or a game of tug(Lobo's favorite reward for "Fetch" - fetch doesn't come naturally to Lobo). It can even be an environmental reward, like sniffing(for Lobo, sniffing > food, always).

My *favorite* reward for Lobo, is tossing a treat and letting him go find it. He becomes absolutely enthralled in the game, so much so that he often doesn't even notice the other dog - if I do it right and don't put him over threshold.

I agree with the above people: Please try not to be too concerned with all that 'dominance' and 'alpha' talk. Dogs are dogs, people are people. I think it's an insult to their intelligence to claim that they think we are also dogs. I also believe that it is very dangerous to treat dogs the way other dogs treat dogs. Not only can they be extremely unpredictable, but many are also insecure bullies. (:
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Feb 4 12:02 pm

Dog Health > Hip Problems
Lobo

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:56am PST 
I called the vet and was told to put him on a probiotic until February, which is when his appointment is. The tech said not to put him on Glucosamine YET. The vet wants to see him first.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 24 6:55 pm

(Page 1 of 63: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.