Postings by Buddy's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 249: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jul 13, '15 12:27am PST 
secret FB groups are fun.

Hi Flickawave

Jewel if we keep telling people it won't be a secretshh
[notify]
» There has since been 147 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Thu 1:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Some confusion over rights of ESA vs SD
Sabi

Barked: Mon Jul 13, '15 12:17am PST 
My doctor has recently determined that Shadow serves as an ESA, and I wouldn't take her anywhere. She's crazy. But....
She keeps my blood pressure in check, helps prevent or lessen panic attacks and holds depression at bay.
From a doctors standpoint she is vital to my well being.

I don't need her with me all the time, that's overkill. I just need her to be there waiting.
I don't know the legalities, but to my mind if you need your animal with you all the time you should probably be looking at an SD not an ESA.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 6 5:18 am

Sabi

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '15 1:57am PST 
Pamhughug

Lucas' stardust, Sabi's star, more alike then we know.
[notify]
» There has since been 195 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Thu 1:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Help.. My dog attacks unneutered male dogs.

Sabi

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '15 11:09am PST 
Hi Charliewave

Yoshi, that is the point. What works for you, works for you.
Read the thread title, My dog attacks unneutered male dogs. It isn't the intact dogs that are the issue.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Woodstock, May 16 11:51 am

Sabi

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '15 12:59am PST 
1. Do altered dogs have gender identity issues to the same degree as humans? Would they know that something is missing? After all, when they're altered, everything is taken from inside. of them. All the external parts are still there. laugh out loud

Not so much the dogs themselves as other dogs trying to read them. However there is an extremely high instance of social aggression/poor behavior in altered dogs and some research points to the lack of hormones/hormone imbalances as a cause.

2. You said that altered females are at a greater risk of getting UTI's. If they're intact, wouldn't the risk of pyametra be even more deadly? Would intact males also be at a risk of getting testicular and prostate cancer?

Yes Pyo is a risk however if you talk to vets, read the stats, it isn't that common. The reason it takes center stage is because it is potentially deadly, largely because uneducated owners never act on the symptoms.

3. As for the aggression, I think I heard that intact dogs are more likely to become aggressive since there would be all kinds of wild testosterone and estrogen.

Total myth. While the odd male gets a bit nasty about being denied the ladies, far more take it with simple pouting. Unaltered females can get far worse. Bud used to try and muscle me a bit, Sabi would go in heat and actively bait and hunt males not to mate but to fight. Bummer for them.
Again far higher instance of aggression in altered dogs. See thread title.

4. What made you decide to leave your dogs intact? What would they be like if you'd altered them?

Bud was left intact initially as part of the agreement, then because there was hope of using him to salvage the line. At 8 years old, when that hope and his breeder died I simply saw no need. Unnecessary surgery and all. Boy bits are routinely checked for signs of any potential issue. If I had altered him, he may not have gotten as thick, and I have doubts he would still be clearing fences.
Although the plan is to spay Shadow it is because there is possibly an underlying issue with her repro organs. Since the surgery is serious and life-threatening for her, I admit to being hesitant. At 4 she is well done growing however the only potential changes I expect are that she will no longer be in heat 3 times a year. It is not a magic fix, it is not mystical training.
When I spayed Sabi the only difference I noted was that she stopped hunting males every six months and did it every day instead. It made not one bit of difference in her work ability or drive.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Woodstock, May 16 11:51 am

Sabi

Barked: Tue Jan 20, '15 9:25am PST 
Spaying/neutering before a dog is done growing can affect a dogs growth. Plates don't close properly, the dogs lose the masculine/feminine appearance. Many females display unwanted aggression after spaying. There is also a study that points to unsocial behavior and/or targeting by other dogs following speutering in young dogs, citing the fact that in nature social roles are defined largely by the sex of the animal. Removing the reproductive organs stops the production of estrogen/testosterone and causes in effect an identity crisis, with other animals trying to identify by smell. In females especially there is a higher instance of UTI's in spayed females, and in both sexes the longevity seems affected.
Purists will say that no one would recommend spaying/neutering of a human except in cases where there is a medical reason. I simple believe that since any surgery carries a risk there is no need to subject my pets to unnecessary surgery just because. Buddy has proven that he is manageable and social in all situations, I see no reason to change anything. Especially when the reason is that someone else has failed to train their dog.
To be fair, if a person has any doubts about their ability to prevent unwanted puppies, their dogs should be altered.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Woodstock, May 16 11:51 am

Sabi

Barked: Tue Jan 20, '15 1:33am PST 
The thread that would not die!

Woodstock you need to educate yourself before you attempt to educate others. There are any number of reasons not to neuter, do some research. Not to mention that my 13 year old intact male is the only one of my most recent three dogs that is actually good with strange dogs. I also have an intact female, I may not spay her either. My spayed female was the most likely to have an issue with random dogs. I don't care if your dog doesn't like intact males, that's your problem not mine. Rather then pointing fingers, do some training with your dog, let other folks worry about theirs.
For the record I'm female, couldn't care less about boy parts.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Woodstock, May 16 11:51 am

Puppy Place > Hello, I'm Koby's new sister.

Sabi

Barked: Mon Jan 5, '15 12:26am PST 
She's absolutely adorable! Congrats on the Christmas gift.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Reina, Jan 11 7:01 am

Sabi

Barked: Thu Dec 25, '14 2:42pm PST 
Wishing you all a safe and happy holiday season. I hope you all spend time with loved ones and eat lots. hug

Happy Santa Daylaugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 893 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Thu 1:07 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Finally got a puppy!
Sabi

Barked: Thu Nov 13, '14 11:26pm PST 
So glad you finally found your pup. He is gorgeous. Congratsway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Mar 21 7:28 pm

(Page 1 of 249: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.