Postings by Skyler's Family

GO!

Border Collie > am I a border collie mix?

Skyler

go for walk!!!?

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 6:14pm PST 
i love to herd, and I am a smart active boy. I am 50lbs. there are lots of pictures on my profile. do you think i have some border collie in me? or was my mom perhaps an Australian Shepard?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tiki NAC, TN-N, CGC, May 7 7:22 am

Behavior & Training > fence, tie out???
Skyler

go for walk!!!?

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 5:38pm PST 
thanks for the advice guys!
i was out planning my fence today, and it will be connected to my back door. I am going to install a doggy door, and plus in the fence there will also be a storage shed (with nothing in it because i just moved her not long ago)
I am slightly hesitant of the doggy door because i do not want the cats getting out. do they have some kind of doggy door that has a sensor that only lets out the dogs with a certain collar.
no idea what that would cost. maybe i could use that money to make the fence even better, because he will be able to go in the storage shed. and its a nice metal one with concrete floors.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Skyler, Oct 11 5:38 pm

Skyler

go for walk!!!?

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 5:38pm PST 
thanks for the advice guys!
i was out planning my fence today, and it will be connected to my back door. I am going to install a doggy door, and plus in the fence there will also be a storage shed (with nothing in it because i just moved her not long ago)
I am slightly hesitant of the doggy door because i do not want the cats getting out. do they have some kind of doggy door that has a sensor that only lets out the dogs with a certain collar.
no idea what that would cost. maybe i could use that money to make the fence even better, because he will be able to go in the storage shed. and its a nice metal one with concrete floors.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Skyler, Oct 11 5:38 pm

Skyler

go for walk!!!?

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 6:17pm PST 
the question was a fence OR a tie out. and i cannot watch a web cam all day while im working grooming dogs. i wish i had a job where i could watch web cam all day.

thanks for suggestions.
no he cannot be in the house uncrated for 9 and 1/2 hrs unsupervised.
i dont like dog pee/poo on my floor.
plus he has been a destructive chewer in the past.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Skyler, Oct 11 5:38 pm

Skyler

go for walk!!!?

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 4:15pm PST 
no one can come home for lunch. i live in the middle of no where and we all work 30 minutes away. neighbor will not let him out... i highly doubt it anyway because she doesnt like dogs and is slightly afraid of him.

the hotwire on bottom and top IS a good idea.
but is having him in a fence really that much better than tied out?
the cost of a tie out situation is so much less than a fence with hot wire. but if i thought the fence route was best, i would go for it.
skyler is used to a tie out. he has one on the porch he goes on for fresh air. he stays out there most of the day when its pretty out (someone is home though)

i know some people think that a tie out is the devil. i dont really understand why. unless of course thats where they stay all the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Skyler, Oct 11 5:38 pm

Skyler

go for walk!!!?

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 3:34pm PST 
Before long everyone in my household will be working. Which leaves my husky/border collie/??? mix alone for about 9 and 1/2 hours.
he does have a crate... but i would feel bad about leaving him cooped up for 9 1/2 hours.
I can put up a secure fence.the most secure fence available... no problem.
i worry about him digging under or climbing over. although i highly doubt he would, i would be worrying about this the whole time i am at work.
I can put him on a tie out, or even one of those dog aerial zip lines.
there are plenty of places that i can keep him where he will not be able to get tangled up. he already has a dog house and there is plenty of shade in the yard.
the only downfall to getting him a tie out/zip run is that i would worry about a neighborhood kid bothering. him. skyler is a very sweet and friendly boy so even if he was bothered, i do not fear for anyone getting bitten.

is it just me or does it sound like a tie out/zip line would be my best option?

i have a neighbor who would be able to look outside and see him from her window,so someone would be keeping an eye on him if he was tied out.
but not if he was in a fence due to where id have to put the fence.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Skyler, Oct 10 3:34 pm

Skyler

go for walk!!!?

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 3:34pm PST 
Before long everyone in my household will be working. Which leaves my husky/border collie/??? mix alone for about 9 and 1/2 hours.
he does have a crate... but i would feel bad about leaving him cooped up for 9 1/2 hours.
I can put up a secure fence.the most secure fence available... no problem.
i worry about him digging under or climbing over. although i highly doubt he would, i would be worrying about this the whole time i am at work.
I can put him on a tie out, or even one of those dog aerial zip lines.
there are plenty of places that i can keep him where he will not be able to get tangled up. he already has a dog house and there is plenty of shade in the yard.
the only downfall to getting him a tie out/zip run is that i would worry about a neighborhood kid bothering. him. skyler is a very sweet and friendly boy so even if he was bothered, i do not fear for anyone getting bitten.

is it just me or does it sound like a tie out/zip line would be my best option?

i have a neighbor who would be able to look outside and see him from her window,so someone would be keeping an eye on him if he was tied out.
but not if he was in a fence due to where id have to put the fence.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Skyler, Oct 11 5:38 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.