Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 130: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > heartworm concern :(
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Sat Jul 26, '14 12:07am PST 
wave Hi Guest. I wasn't even aware that Interceptor was off the market - so thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm with you; I prefer HW-preventative only rather than a combo. I give my dogs Heartguard monthly.

Kali has made good points! If your dogs are mostly indoors, that definitely reduces their risk of HW infection. And also, if they do test positive, at least you know they haven't had the infection for very long, since they were until recently, protected. An early diagnosis makes a great deal of difference for this disease. The heartworms won't have done as much damage to your dog(s)' heart and lungs, and the treatment itself will be less perilous. There couldn't be a "heavy load" or severe case of heartworms, when the disease was identified in the early stages such as this.

One more thing. Even if your dogs both test negative and you get them started right back on preventative, I think it would be a good idea to get them a second test done after about 6 months. Then, keeping them on the preventative of course, just go back to testing yearly.

Fingers and paws crossed for the vet appointment, and please keep us posted!!
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sun 3:27 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > This looks promising for this dogster thread :)
Duncan

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '14 10:33pm PST 
Good eye, Bunny!! That is cool that I-5 happens to be starting those rescue-specific publications. Wonderful in and of itself, and also exciting in terms of possible tie-ins with their other properties, like Dogster. smile

I like the idea of having an "adoption guide" that they publish annually. I hope they do a great job of producing it. Could be really helpful for a lot of people!
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Thu 10:33 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Scruffy passed away

Duncan

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '14 6:35pm PST 
Oh no....I'm so sorry. Scruffy's time was too short and he had a tough battle, but every moment of his life was full of love. All there is now is to be grateful for the time you did have together. I know you'll miss him so. Thinking of you. hughughughughughughughughughughughug
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 15 2:11 pm

Behavior & Training > He Hates the Crate

Duncan

Barked: Thu Feb 13, '14 11:01pm PST 
Just wanted to add that, for convenience, you could use a rabbit water bottle attached on the door of the crate, you know the kind? It's actually pretty handy, doesn't spill, and doesn't get in the dog's way in the crate.
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 20 2:30 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > New England Dogsters! Join us for Westminster!!!

Duncan

Barked: Fri Jan 31, '14 9:13am PST 
Wish you could all join us! What a great group that would be ~!!!
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 9:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Not really B & T , but....
Duncan

Barked: Wed Jan 29, '14 5:38pm PST 
This is a little naughty but at this point,
who cares.

Just wanted to direct everyone's attention to my other message just posted in the "Lifestyles & Entertainment" section. Not that many people check that topic, so I thought I'd also post a note here just to get y'all's attention.

winkwave
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 31 1:04 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > New England Dogsters! Join us for Westminster!!!

Duncan

Barked: Wed Jan 29, '14 5:23pm PST 
blue dog Hey Dogsters! We (Tiller mum & I) are excited about Westminster and would like to invite anyone in the area to come and watch it with us! We are going to make arrangements to have it shown on TV at a casual restaurant near us (West Warwick, RI) - both nights, entire schedule for the live telecast - I believe it's Monday Feb. 10 & Tuesday Feb. 11.

It is going to be very fun and what could be a better time and occasion to get together with other dog lovers!! We would truly love ANY Dogsters remotely in the area to come and join us!! As the era of the Dogster community itself sadly comes to a close, this would be a special time to meet a few fellow Dogsters in person, or re-connect.

If you would like to come to our Westminster "party," please RSVP, and paw-mail me so I can let you know which restaurant is our gathering place (a detail we are still finalizing)!

hugcloud 9blue dog Hope to see you there!!
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Feb 12 9:36 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > In light of Dogster's decision to close down the Community....

Duncan

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 11:20pm PST 
wave I didn't want to hijack the other threads dealing with the impending loss of our Dogster community (and the question of where we are all to go!),

but,

for those who might want to stay in touch with myself or Lucy (Tiller et.al.), I would like to urge you to PLEASE "like" Southpaws Express on Facebook.

Thanks all. I'll go back to my grieving now. cry
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Jan 26 11:21 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Is this possible to do in a kill shelter

Duncan

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 11:21pm PST 
Hi Foxy! blue dog

What you're talking about, can be called "independent rescue" and sure, it is possible and can be a wonderful way to help a dog.

The adoption process you described (hardly any paperwork, no home check, taking the dog home same day) is pretty common with kill shelters, yes. (Though they vary in their requirements.) Adoption fees at kill shelters vary widely, also - but are generally lower than those at no-kill shelters or rescues. You should be able to readily find that information online or with a quick call to the shelters near you.

The only advice I'd add is to really think it through and be prepared. Once you save the dog, how will you find the forever home? What if it takes longer than you expected? What if the dog gets sick or injured while in your care? What if you place the dog, but the new home doesn't work out? It's a big responsibility! Good luck! applause
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 12 11:21 pm

Dogster Railroad > Southpaws transport: Chicago, Ill., to Northeast
Duncan

Barked: Fri Jan 10, '14 3:57pm PST 
Just a quick update - it did become necessary, for expediency, to fly Austin (Balin) here commercially. He arrived here late last night and is doing great, none the worse for wear in spite of his long day in transport.

THANK YOU to those of you who offered to help with the railroad transport. It means so much to know that there were willing hands and hearts to help this dog!! cheercloud 9happy dance
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 3:57 pm

(Page 1 of 130: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.