Postings by Bob's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Rekas14' th birthday
Reka

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '14 7:21am PST 
Today Reka is 14. She woke up with a special deportment, as she knew this was her day. She waded through the sea of boys and stepped right up and demanded to be respected. She's not a pushy dog. It's as if she knows. She handed me my socks, so I would get up and feed her breakfast.

[wind back one year today] Dog licenses must be purchased before Jan 31 to avoid a fine. I knew Reka was not going to be here by that date, so when buying family dog licenses, I did not buy her one. . Her dementia was so advanced, she was mere days away from euthanasia. I was putting food in her mouth, because she had forgotten how to eat. She would get into a corner and scream because she was trapped and could not get out. It made you realize just how painful dementia truly is. My dad, with Alzheimer's would spend a half hour or so trying to walk through walls, continuing to try to crash through the barrier until gently led away. So my experience with dementia is, it's not species specific. I have seen the pain. It's real. Reka would go out in her fenced yard.. and have to be rescued because she got lost and could not get home. She was lost in her own house. I did not mind taking care of her, but the anxiety of her confusion caused immeasurable stress to her. This experience juxtaposed with my dad's experiences with alzheimers induced anxiety drove home that mental pain is just as real as physical pain.

I took Reka to the vet to have her euthanized, when the vet suggested a prescription food that he was having success with. He suggested I try this. I was a little miffed, because this dog was obviously a dog too far gone to be helped. But guilt set in, and thought, ok I'll give it a try.

Within 2 weeks on Science diet BD (Brain diet) Rekas clock turned back and showed definite improvement. Within 2 months, her clock turned back 1 1/2 years. I was no longer hand feeding her so she could eat. She was no longer getting lost in the yard.

Today is her birthday. 14. A benchmark. Because on this date a year ago, I made up my mind, it was time and would make her date with destiny at the vets after the holidays. On this date today, You would not know Reka had dementia. She wants to work. She picks up things of value and barters for biscuits. Watching her push through the crowd of boys so she could be recognized was out of character for her, and another sign of her mental health.

Yesterday I bought dog licenses. I bought Reka one too. Happy birthday Reka. Here's to another year. Thank you Science Diet. And thank you to al those dogs who live in labs doing feeding trials who helped make this all possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Reka, Dec 31 7:21 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Chaplin was just attacked by another dog need hugs support and recommendations
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 8:04am PST 
I always carry pepper spray. It might also hit my dog, so when I'm prepared to use it on an attacking dog, I also am aware that my dog may be going to the vet as well. I try to use it before it's in range of my dog, but wind affects that. I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's prevented vet bills for my dog several times. As for the other dog, I feel it's the owners problem and penalty for allowing their dog out of control
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Polly, Jun 9 12:30 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Help - adopted shelter dog just sent me to hospital... Heartbroken.

Tuck

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:56am PST 
I'm sorry. But a grumpy dog is a dead dog imo. Bite inhibition is a must. If it's not there, then that's it.

However, I ADORE my dogs. I wouldn't put them to sleep if they bit anyone. But I would take them into the vet and have all teeth removed and be committed to feeding them soft diets for the rest of their lives.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Jun 2 9:42 am

Dogs & Travel > Pet Friendly 4x4 cars or trucks?

Tuck

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:51am PST 
I covet the Ford Transit as a dog car. But it's not 4wd. No 4wd.. no Transit. I hope they fix that
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, May 27 5:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Using the sperm of deceased dogs

Tuck

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:49am PST 
My dad was deceased when I was born. There is a 20 year spread between my birth and his birth
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, May 21 10:18 pm

Puppy Place > So.. Is he a GSD?
Tuck

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 5:59am PST 
Looks eskimo spitz/border collie'ish to me
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 3 9:11 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Need Help From Experienced GSD Owners!

Tuck

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 2:40pm PST 
IF a dog doesn;t have papers, and a dog does not have a history of health testing OFA certifications --also paper trailed--, it;s just a grade dog and not worthy of breeding. Why fill pounds with more puppies?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Apr 27 11:15 pm

Behavior & Training > For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?

Tuck

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:28am PST 
I don't know where you live, but Elkhounds are not a rare breed. They aren't even rare in Search and Rescue. Almost everywhere I go in our country, I commonly see at least one. I do know they are rare in France. They are not rare in England. Australia. They are uncommon in Greece, and most Mediterranean areas. They are very rare in equatorial areas, and they SHOULD be. They tend to be very dog friendly. Although I have seen the occasional dog aggressive elkhound they are rare. They are the only breed I know of where many owners keep multiple intact males unseparated/unmonitored in the same household without issues.

Although I just neutered my males for health reasons, I have regretted it since, simply because neutering them results in a forever non-stop shedding coat that is impossible to live with in a household. If you don't love the breed, don't get one and fall in love with them. The hair is intolerable

Once you have one, hair and all, you wont have anything else. Best not to get started
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Missy , Apr 26 11:43 am

Behavior & Training > For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?

Tuck

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:05am PST 
I have a brother-in-law 50ish, used to be a police officer. He sees my sister-in-laws pomeranian, and threatens to step on him (really cute and special dog)
I wish he didn't attend family gatherings at her house because he comes knowing the dog LIVES there.

One day we had a family gathering, and they asked me to bring my dog in the house. As soon as I did, this big bad police officer ran screaming out of the house and shaking in fear .. it was real. I was shocked that a big bad ass man was such a wimp.

I put my dog back out in the truck.

But I dont respect him, and I don't like him, especially since he's always threatening my sister-in-laws wonderful little dog.

I would never invite him in my house and would hope he would never come, and I assure you, I will never step a foot in his house, dog or no dog.

I get the last laugh though, every time I see him, images flash through my mind of him standing out in the snow in shirtsleeves shaking and screaming like a two year old wuss.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Missy , Apr 26 11:43 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Need Help From Experienced GSD Owners!
Tuck

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:15am PST 
I can't imagine a responsible service dog agency that would even place an intact dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Apr 27 11:15 pm

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.