Postings by Bob's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Chaplin was just attacked by another dog need hugs support and recommendations
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 8:04am PST 
I always carry pepper spray. It might also hit my dog, so when I'm prepared to use it on an attacking dog, I also am aware that my dog may be going to the vet as well. I try to use it before it's in range of my dog, but wind affects that. I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's prevented vet bills for my dog several times. As for the other dog, I feel it's the owners problem and penalty for allowing their dog out of control
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Polly, Jun 9 12:30 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Help - adopted shelter dog just sent me to hospital... Heartbroken.
Tuck

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:56am PST 
I'm sorry. But a grumpy dog is a dead dog imo. Bite inhibition is a must. If it's not there, then that's it.

However, I ADORE my dogs. I wouldn't put them to sleep if they bit anyone. But I would take them into the vet and have all teeth removed and be committed to feeding them soft diets for the rest of their lives.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Jun 2 9:42 am

Dogs & Travel > Pet Friendly 4x4 cars or trucks?

Tuck

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:51am PST 
I covet the Ford Transit as a dog car. But it's not 4wd. No 4wd.. no Transit. I hope they fix that
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, May 27 5:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Using the sperm of deceased dogs

Tuck

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:49am PST 
My dad was deceased when I was born. There is a 20 year spread between my birth and his birth
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, May 21 10:18 pm

Puppy Place > So.. Is he a GSD?

Tuck

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 5:59am PST 
Looks eskimo spitz/border collie'ish to me
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 3 9:11 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Need Help From Experienced GSD Owners!
Tuck

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 2:40pm PST 
IF a dog doesn;t have papers, and a dog does not have a history of health testing OFA certifications --also paper trailed--, it;s just a grade dog and not worthy of breeding. Why fill pounds with more puppies?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Apr 27 11:15 pm

Behavior & Training > For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?

Tuck

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:28am PST 
I don't know where you live, but Elkhounds are not a rare breed. They aren't even rare in Search and Rescue. Almost everywhere I go in our country, I commonly see at least one. I do know they are rare in France. They are not rare in England. Australia. They are uncommon in Greece, and most Mediterranean areas. They are very rare in equatorial areas, and they SHOULD be. They tend to be very dog friendly. Although I have seen the occasional dog aggressive elkhound they are rare. They are the only breed I know of where many owners keep multiple intact males unseparated/unmonitored in the same household without issues.

Although I just neutered my males for health reasons, I have regretted it since, simply because neutering them results in a forever non-stop shedding coat that is impossible to live with in a household. If you don't love the breed, don't get one and fall in love with them. The hair is intolerable

Once you have one, hair and all, you wont have anything else. Best not to get started
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Missy , Apr 26 11:43 am

Behavior & Training > For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?

Tuck

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:05am PST 
I have a brother-in-law 50ish, used to be a police officer. He sees my sister-in-laws pomeranian, and threatens to step on him (really cute and special dog)
I wish he didn't attend family gatherings at her house because he comes knowing the dog LIVES there.

One day we had a family gathering, and they asked me to bring my dog in the house. As soon as I did, this big bad police officer ran screaming out of the house and shaking in fear .. it was real. I was shocked that a big bad ass man was such a wimp.

I put my dog back out in the truck.

But I dont respect him, and I don't like him, especially since he's always threatening my sister-in-laws wonderful little dog.

I would never invite him in my house and would hope he would never come, and I assure you, I will never step a foot in his house, dog or no dog.

I get the last laugh though, every time I see him, images flash through my mind of him standing out in the snow in shirtsleeves shaking and screaming like a two year old wuss.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Missy , Apr 26 11:43 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Need Help From Experienced GSD Owners!

Tuck

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:15am PST 
I can't imagine a responsible service dog agency that would even place an intact dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Apr 27 11:15 pm

Tuck

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:04am PST 
I'm afraid of loose dogs. I train Search and Rescue dogs. This means we must train in public areas. You simply cannot get the variety of training needed to proof your dog at home. Because every situation is different, training must be done in every situation and condition that you can imagine. That means putting yourself out there.

My breed of dog has erect ears. He has a stiff erect tail, He naturally has a short compact body type, with long legs and an up on the toes appearance. He has a naturally erect high head carriage, and the rough on his neck gives it an arched appearance.

To those of you who read dog body language, everything about his natural appearance . He has a brisley coat that stands up (as if he has his hackles up.. but he doesn't) (he's like this in a relaxed happy state) would trigger flags that this dog is sending signals to challenge other dogs.

As soon as other dogs look at him, they tend to pick him out of a crowd of dogs and want to adjust his attitude.

He doesn't have an attitude. He does not want fights, he NEVER fights back. But he's a fight magnet. First thing any so- prone dog wants to do is rip his face off.

When out training, off leash dogs always rush him. I see a loose dog... and I know there is trouble. I'm going to be meeting this loose dog, hopefully on my terms, but probably not.
He's the single dog ever dog in any crowd will pick out to have a fight with .

My boy has been ripped up 5 times from loose dogs. Of all the many breeds out there.......... they have all been pit bulls. Smaller dogs have attacked him, and one time there was search, and the problem dog was a westie/shihtzu mix that hung from his face while he continued to work the search. We'd remove the little dog dangling from his face, and as soon as we put the dog down, the little dog rushed back and re-attached himself. Finally the officer accompanying me, carried the dog for the remainder of the search. It turned out this dog was the missing little girl's dog, and the reason she ran off. She wanted to capture her dog that ran away. (We knew nothing about this dog being related to the search until after the little girl was found)

The nice thing about LITTLE attacking dogs is they do no damage.

I really don't care if I "offend" someone, so feel free to delete - tired of "I am offended" people. It would be nice if the safety of our dogs were all that we need to be concerned about - but violence has become a way of life in all too many parts of the country. This week a SEARCH dog was killed by two pit bulls that got into this search dogs fenced yard, and dug under the kennel attacking the dog. After a week of nursing they finally put the search dog down and ended it's suffering. You need only look at any news report to see that people are attacking people even more often than dogs attacking dogs. It is pretty easy to recognize that if a social misfit wants a big tough dog, he isn't going to have a sheltie, and his weapon of choice isn't going to be a pea shooter.

YES, I'm terrified of pitbulls. Not because they are pit bulls, but because they attract really terrible owners in numbers enough that of all the breed encounters out there, it's the pitbull that has repeatedly hospitalized mine, and many other search dogs.

Owners who let their dogs run in packs, owners that let their dogs run loose unattended, owners who know their dogs can be dangerous. Is it the breed? NO.. It's just the breed that seems to attract the worst of the worst owners.

Of the dogs that attack my dog while training, it's the breed that is most likely to hurt my dog. I'm not concerned about the chihuahas that are probably even more likely to attack. At least they are unlikely to do any harm.

But when I see ANY off leash dog, I have the pepper spray in my hand (knowing that my boy is also likely to get caught up in the pepper spray and will also need medical attention, but at least it's not stitches) and I check the position of my gun, in case the pepper spray doesnt work.

My boy does NOT fight back, which allowed other dog removal in as safe manner as possible for HIM. And frankly.. if YOUR offleash (on on leash for that matter) dog is attacking MY on-leash/non-combatant dog.... I really don't care what happens to the attacking dog. If you assault me for the results of what happens, I'm prepared to handle you too.

YES, I'm terrified of off leash dogs. Experience has taught me this. I'm most terrified of a breed most prone to breed profiling, simply because experience has proven these fears are justified. Politically correct.. or not.

Your on leash well mannered dogs regardless of the breed does not bother me either. But I ask, please dont allow them too close to my dog.

I feel anyone who needs space from a dog on leash or even a service dog, should be given that space. Although service dogs are permitted access into public restaurants and communal areas, there is a clause that if they cause a disturbance, they can be asked to leave. and a panicking client is a good reason. Your dog didn't have to do anything. But if the dog's presence is causing a panic.. this does not give your service dog immunity. This is why certifications also cover insurance. Even if a dog does nothing, if your dog causes mental duress and panic and fear of another, you CAN be sued. This is why there is insurance coverage that comes with your certifications.

If my dog were evoking a panic, I would move out of the area (even though I had the right to be there) or in my case, if involved with a search, I would send my accompanying officer over to put space, guarantee protection for them, and offer comfort until my dog moves out of the area.

In the case of service dogs, you do not have the right to be there at the expense of inducing a panic.

/end rant
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Missy , Apr 26 11:43 am

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.