Postings by Miikka's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Behavior & Training > And now we're chasing cars..
Miikka

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:42pm PST 
I am assuming he would chase them, but I am not willing to find out. He pulls and screams until the car is out of sight. Parked cars he doesnt pay attention to. Moving people I dont think he so much wants to chase, but he does want to see them. All those other animals are non existent where I live so I am not sure.

Thanks for your suggestions. Jewel its nice to hear a success story, I like knowing there is some hope. At this point I am ready to keep 2 leashes on him, one connected to his collar and one to his harness because I am so nervous.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Miikka, Feb 27 12:42 pm

Behavior & Training > And now we're chasing cars..
Miikka

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:12am PST 
I haven't posted here in ages, but I need a fix. I used to post about how shy and timid was through puppyhood, so much so that when I took all the pups for a walk in the park I used to keep him off leash not bc he was trained but because he was so afraid of his surroundings he would not leave my side.

For the last year or so, he has made a complete change. He is no longer timid, hiding behind me or snapping at strangers. He loves people, dogs and is all around happy. However with that we have developed some issues.

1. As the title states- cars. He lunges, does his pug yodel/scream, flips- all sorts of madness. I don't take them on long walks anymore because of how nervous I am about it. Hes only 12 pounds, and black- so just the thought of him getting loose is killing me. SO I need some advice on where to begin with training. I have brought treats out on walks when I take just him without his brothers- and have put him in a sit when I see a car coming- and if he turns his head I have been giving him a leave it command and treating if he turns back to me. This works sometimes, but sometimes he breaks to lunge regardless. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. He also pulls on a leash, so starting today I am going to be working on walking nicely.

2.Related to 1 sometimes. When he gets worked up,like over seeing a car, another dog, person etc and all my boys start barking- he runs at bauser and attacks his face and then goes back to freaking out. It never turns into a full on fight, its just a quick thing. He also does this off leash in the house when they get worked up/ or just when bauser starts barking.

3.This isnt too important but I figured id ask while im here. Miikka loves playing with bauser at home and he is so full of energy that ill take him to the park occasionally because he plays great with other dogs. However, he seems to lack confidence. It usually takes him 45 minutes or so to finally start playing. When a dog engages play- or he seems to find interest in a dog he will run back to me and stand by me and whine or cry. Ill say "Its okay, you can go play!" and he will either jump up and whine some more or run off a little, but then run back. Ill repeat this a few times and he will finally go off and play and once he does, he is a NUT. So based on his history of being very timid, I am just going with this is a lack of confidence, like he needs my reassurance that its OK. I would just like for him to feel comfortable enough to play without being attached to my hip for 45 minutes, and needing me to encourage it so much. Im happy he is playing either way, but I wanted some input.

Thanks guys
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Miikka, Feb 27 12:42 pm

Behavior & Training > In 12 years I don't think i've ever had a potty trained dog..

Bauser

Mmmm...stinkbugs- .

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 10:13am PST 
Typically, I take them for a short walk in the morning before they are crated approx 9am. Then when I come home at 1-2ish I take them for a 20 minute walk. Then if I am home typically every 2 hours ill take them for a quick pee break. Then after dinner I take them for another 15-20 minute walk. Then at 11 or so at night, I take them for a 30min-1 hour walk. Then right before bed, at 1a or so, I take them for a pee break. So personally yes, I DO think I walk them enough. Please let me know if you don't agree.

They have had access to water at all times previously, now I give them water a few times a day. They may have access if they don't drink it all, but if they do I don't refill it until later.
As far as food goes, no my dogs all wolf their food down within 30 seconds. So no free feeding here.

The problem is, I have worked with several trainers and behaviorists and this is just something I haven't seen resolved. One of my behaviorists said she has never seen what bauser does in terms of how specific he is about pottying conditions.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Jun 5 4:20 pm

Behavior & Training > In 12 years I don't think i've ever had a potty trained dog..

Bauser

Mmmm...stinkbugs- .

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 9:29am PST 
Really, it's rather sad. So I've got my 3 boys, and every single day I clean up a mess. My fault at this point obviously. I guess i've just been so used to "living" with it, that I haven't enforced a change. Now I am. So let me give you a history on whats going on.

I never crated Bandit until I got bauser. Then they were behind a baby gate in a small area together. Then we moved to Bauser being crated and Bandit was free because bauser developed some resource guarding issues. Then we got Miikka. At this point, all 3 of them were crated. Fast forward I moved back to FL a couple months ago. I had them all crated, then they got sick. 3 dogs with diarhea for 2 weeks. It was NOT fun. I kept bauser in a spare room alone, and Bandit and Miikka were free roaming. I didn't want to confine them while they couldnt control their bowels, because when I did- it ended quite sadly.

So present day, I got stuck in the habit of bauser in a spare room, Bandit is crated, Miikka is free. This needs to obviously change for training purposes.
They have no problems peeing, well mostly marking in the house. Mostly when im not home, but have displayed no issues of doing so when I AM home. This is obviously an issue, but not my MAIN issue.
Bauser poops in the house, more than he does outside. It has been a battle for the 4 years hes been with me. I have been outside with him for literally HOURS knowing he has to poop(butt sticks out, so nasty but you know..)and he will squat the SECOND I walk into the house with him. I had a trainer tell me to not allow him to be outside so long, do 10 minutes out...if he doesnt poop and you know he has to, put him in his crate for 10 minutes and then go out again. There were times I did this for again, HOURS and finally give up because you know..I dont have 3 hours of the day to dedicate to my dog pooping, and he walks in and immediately poops.
He is extremely distracted outside. He is often times in squat, but hears a noise so forgets about it. Or is sniffing intensely to find a spot...then smells something he doesnt like and RUNS away from that area and forgets what he was there for. The only time he easily goes outside is when I don't walk him before work and put him in the crate at 9. Come home from work at 2. Walk him, he will NOT poop outside normally. And then put him BACK in his crate til 6 or so. Then he usually goes pretty quickly. But I feel terrible that he is sitting in his crate for upwards 8 hours while the rest of the dogs are roaming around with me. Plus you know, the whole separation anxiety thing that causes him to scream for all the hours im home and he is crated.
So now Miikka is starting to get funny about pooping outside and I am worried he is turning into bauser.

Basically I am at my wits end with them. I walk them often, I take them to the parks to get some more exercise in. And still, every day I clean up their mess. I would just love for my house to NOT smell, just for one day- seriously.

So obviously I need some potty training 101. Please help me.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Jun 5 4:20 pm

Behavior & Training > What's your opinion on this behavior

Bauser

Mmmm...stinkbugs- .

Barked: Sat Dec 24, '11 4:50pm PST 
So I just want to see what you guys think about this. And just a note,I do already have a behaviorist working with him and she got an email about this as well.

Bauser has been having issues lately- before it was just related to resource guarding over yummy treats. Then we stopped giving them so it stopped. Then we had issues with him and miikka when we first got miikka. Now he is just being nasty all around. He has been banned off the couches and beds because he will not allow the other dogs near if he is up on them. But this here is the behavior im curious about. A couple times when he is being fed he will try to go after miikkas food and if Marty tries to stop him, he turns on him and starts lunging and trying to attack. It's not the first time he has gone after us like that- as he has done it while on the couch(snuck up) or one situation when I was brushing him and miikka came near so he snapped at me when I pushed miikka away. Anyways usually we grab him and put him in a time out. Well the other day my bf let him go to see what he actually does in the same scenario, so he grabbed him when he tried to get in miikkas bowl and he of course started growling and jumping up at my bf. well, he didnt attack him. He was nipping him at most, just touching him with his teeth and then falling back and lunging to nip again. Then my bf said sit and he did immediately and let him pet him. What do you guys think about that? Because previously, in the other situations he would full on attack leaving scratches and bruises.

Also- although he does majority of the feedings... The times that I have this never happens. Then again bauser never tries to get into miikkas bowl around me. But today when he was showing me what happens, I tried as well and bauser had no reaction to me picking him up. Also- he got a new toy for the holiday and he went to chew it on his bed and my bf went in the room and he started growling(never really does this.... ) then I went in and he stopped when I came in and let me take it.

Opinions? Thanks guys.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 25 5:32 am

Behavior & Training > Any meaning to this behavior or is it just play?
Bauser

Mmmm...stinkbugs- .

Barked: Wed Dec 14, '11 8:03pm PST 
Hey- I havent posted here in a while because since we got miikka and have had all the issues, I did get a behaviorist and we have been working on fixing them. Are they fixed...not really. But all in good time I suppose. My main focus turned to Bauser...Basically my behaviorist said if the training and herbal supplements don't work- medication is the next step. I never want to see bauser on medication nor do I think I would actually do that. He doesn't seem bad enough for that- because I can only imagine the side effects. So I am working with him, and miikka. Their problems now individual thank goodness and not geared towards eachother like they first were. Miikka is still timid- however he will go up to people now rather than hiding behind my legs- he is EXTREMELY selective with who he goes up to tail wagging and who he wont go near. Any opinion/experience with this? And he likes to play with other dogs- but has to be in their company for at least 15-20 minutes to warm up to them before he will engage in play.

However I am getting off track here. My post is really about this little behavior. Miikka and Bauser wrestle and run around the house playing regularly. And every now and then they will just lay around and bite at eachothers mouths. Well, when they play like that Bauser will nibble on miikkas neck and body. I figure its just play but I wanted to see if it's anything more than that. I tried looking it up but got all sorts of answers ranging from grooming, affection, playing and dominance(oh jeez..) so I wanted to see if your dogs do this and if there is any rhyme or reason behind it- because it is incredibly cute haha. And as you can see towards the end of the video- miikka prefers to just chomp on Bauser instead of nibble.

http://youtu.be/7QQheTWiBqE
Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Dec 15 9:25 am

Behavior & Training > Does your dog have their own morning routine?

Miikka

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 10:28pm PST 
haha aww. Yeah they definitely have their routine. I wake up at 8am and go to work- so the boyfriend and the 3 pups move from the bed to the couch and continue napping til like 11am. Then breakfast, potty and then playtime. Everything but the napping varies haha.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Sep 29 4:25 pm

Behavior & Training > Spin off...have you been bitten?

Bandit

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 8:38pm PST 
Well, a few times. Bauser has bit me a couple times- never broke the skin. Bandit bit me once, bled a but but nothing serious.

As far as a dog that was not my own? Oh yes. I was at a party with a friend, it was her friends party and I didn't know the girl. Well she had a boxer and towards the end of the night I got on the ground to pet it and it bit me...in the face. Now, was it my fault? Absolutely. I can't say I wasn't drunk- and I can't say I wasn't in the dogs face. Bad judgement. However...the owner of the dog said "Oh no he has been doing that lately- he bit my mom and another friend of mine last week" So maybe it's just me, but I would put that dog away if I were having a party. In fact- if I were to ever have a get together with that many people, mostly drunk at that- all my dogs would be safe in a different room.

So that DID require an E.R visit at 2am. 5 stitches on my lip area and my only concern was that the dog was okay because it wasnt his fault.
[notify]
» There has since been 58 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Sep 30 3:18 am

Behavior & Training > Losing hope.. Very timid 5 month old...

Miikka

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 8:49am PST 
Cooper, I wouldn't say he came from a top of the line breeder whatsoever, but definitely better than where bauser came from. The parents were absolutely darling, friendly and sweet. Really nice disposition. The breeder worked on potty training, getting comfortable on the leash, being handled by all different people etc. He was not isolated at all and him and his siblings definitely played all day when they werent sleeping. I know this because 1. She does a live stream of all her puppies from the day mommy goes into labor to the day they all go home. And 2. I went to go visit quite a bit to see him/handle all the other puppies.

As of right now- the siblings of his that I am in contact with are pretty much fine, good with people and other dogs.
So far all his interactions have been positive- My behaviorist thinks that it's possible that his intimidation could be related to being on edge with bauser all the time when he was a pup to not get snapped at.

Now, I don't know if by what I say it makes it seem like im pushing him too hard...I personally don't think so. The dog park situation, that was ONLY because there were no other dogs there. I had no intention of even taking him to the dog park. And going to other places...I don't understand. If I did what he likes- staying home and away from people and dogs- then how would I be helping him in any way? I don't see how bringing him out to have positive experiences is pushing him too hard?

I don't go out of my way to bring him to places. When I go to the pet store- I bring him with me. If someone WANTS to see him- I give them a treat to encourage him to come and see them...if he doesn't he just takes a treat and we move on. Going to social events- that is so he is not being left at home for hours and hours at a time. He isn't being forced to socialize- he usually has a chance in the begining where I try to have people give him treats and say hi,then if he is not feeling it he sits on my lap and is comfortable.

Any time we go anywhere-he is comfortable and happy to be with me and usually TRIES to approach stranges, but prefers to do it when they are walking away because I guess its less intimidating.

And now I wouldn't really agree about pugs being prone to being nervous- in my experience with pugs I don't think i've met a single one outside of miikka that was nervous or anxious in any way. And this is through all the pugs I fostered, worked with, and met through meet ups.

Thank you all for your advice so far- heres to hoping for some more as well..I need all the help I can get.
So
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kato, Sep 8 11:23 am

Behavior & Training > Losing hope.. Very timid 5 month old...
Miikka

Barked: Wed Sep 7, '11 4:57pm PST 
So 3 months ago I got this wonderful, happy social 8 week old pug puppy. Though we had issues in our home with him and bauser getting along- things are perfect now. Please see my previous posts if you're interested in the issues.
Well...the problem is now he is extremely fearful. He wasn't always like this. When he was a little thing I would go visit him all the time at the breeders house- he was social as can be. When we first brought him home- he warmed up to people--not immediately but he did. Id take him for walks at the park and he met some kids that he loved...rolled around the ground with them. He met a few dogs briefly but nothing major.

Well fast forward to about 2 months ago. We took him to a get together at my boyfriends friend house(we take him EVERYWHERE with us for socialization...obviously that didn't help.) Well...he wouldn't really let anyone pet him. He doesn't snap, but he definitely cowers and prefers NOT to meet anyone. That is unusual for a puppy. Thats not how normal healthy puppies act frown. Now..there was another dog at the get together...well he would try to engage play with miikka and miikka would cower and then snap at him so I picked him up and didn't get him interact.

Well it's basically continued on this way. I take him to pet stores and encourage people to say hi to him with some treats. He is definitely TIMID but not horrible. He usually will take a treat and maybe allow a little scratch on his chest, but then sometimes he will just hide behind my legs. Now...with dogs he usually runs away and may bark.

Last week I talked to friend who has a very calm dog that has no interest in engaging play with other dogs. I thought she would be perfect for miikka to meet. So we took them to the park with intentions of walking them around in the large field..but when we got there we saw the small side of the dog park had no one there. So we just decided to bring them in there. He tried to sniff her a couple times and wasn't snapping or barking at her. Then one of the dogs from the large side came in( who happened to be a pug as well) and at first I was nervous because I want all of his experiences to be 100% positive. But he seemed pretty relaxed so I stayed. Then a couple more small dogs came in and I checked them out but then decided they seemed okay. Overall it was okay, miikka seemed pretty relaxed walking around, he had no interest in playing with anyone even though he plays with bauser at home like a maniac. He even went nose to nose with another dog without cowering. I did lots of verbal praise and gave out lots of little treats for positive interactions.

So it wasn't bad at all for his first time- but I am wondering if this is as good as it's going to get? I wish more than anything he was a happy puppy like bauser was at that age. Loving every person he met and enjoying running around at the park with the other dogs. I just feel like he is always going to be timid, because he is past that "socialization" age apparently.
I don't want him to just be TOLERANT of other dogs, even though id be happy with that. I want him to be social like he is at home with bauser.

Please share some stories/words of encouragement. I feel like I have done my little man wrong some how.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kato, Sep 8 11:23 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.