Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Dogs & Travel > Picking up New Puppy! - 8 hour drive!
Zoey

love my family- but strangers- beware

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:30pm PST 
We only went a little over an hour but kept them up in the front with us. They ran free outside most of the time and were not crate trained. We went through some pretty wild roads so I might suggest a towel to keep with them as well. Both of ours threw up when we brought them home. Two different dogs from the same breeder at two different times. I guess they were a little nervous and a little car sick.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 3:52 am

Behavior & Training > Listening to one parent not the other
Zoey

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 3:25pm PST 
Her classes are way over she took them when she was younger. At that time she listened to me then quit and only listened to him. She now does not listen to him and but listens to me. I don't think it has anything to do with the classes that was a couple of years ago. We all work with them on commands I probably always have more than anyone. It is the back and forth in who she listens to that I question.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 11 8:46 pm

Zoey

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 5:34am PST 
Nothing about our routine had changed at all. We all feed them and let them out and walk them. They listen to my son who is 14 pretty well also but he went through training with us and is pretty good about commands and sticking to them. I can't think of anything that has changed that would cause her to behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 8:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Hyperactive GSD

Sadie

Frisbee?????

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:39pm PST 
I also have an energizer bunny GSD. One is calm the other makes you want to pull your hair out. Exercise does help some for a short period of time. We taught her to catch a frisbee and she will play for hours. If we are home and want to throw it in the house for her she loves it. The other day when I was at town I found a calming collar. It looks like a flea collar but has a smell that is supposed to calm them. It maybe helps a little but not much you still have to wear her down but it seems to take the prozac needing edge off. She still has her moments just a tad bit calmer. I say plenty of exercise and you might get one of the toys that you put treats in and as they nose it around the treats or kibble fall out. Mine love it and it keeps them entertained and working for something.
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 8:39 pm

Zoey

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:28pm PST 
I have a GSD that is almost 3 now. I always took her to training classes and when she was young she always listened to me not my husband. Fast forward a little and she quit listening to me at all. Now happier for me she listens to me now for all commands, comes when called but she won't listen to my husband at all. Any suggestions why this might be happening? Our other GSD through her hyperactivity listens pretty well to both of us.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 8:46 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > becoming a foster home
Zoey

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:38am PST 
We have done this a couple of times for one of our local shelters. We usually take the young puppies that they can't handle so we have a litter at a time. We have 3 dogs already at home but we have to keep the babies separate anyway, so it is a little easier. The first time we had 5 (4-5) week old puppies we fell in love with for about two weeks. The second time we had a mom Chihuahua an d her 2 5 week old puppies. We fell in love with them also. We were supposed to have them until they turned 8 weeks old but ended up having them for 2 months. With our other dogs it is easier not to want/have to adopt any more at this time, but we always have a hard time when we give them back because you do fall in love with them. We only take when we have a time limit to give them back although that is not always the correct time limit. Be prepared to love them and I always cry when they go back. If you have little puppies they are a lot of work and taking multiples makes it even harder. Also the shelter didn't provide anything for us to foster them besides a little bit of food to start, some bedding, and a crate to travel in. It could be different for other shelters but be prepared for the added expense and traveling to and from the vet for visits, and if they have any health problems such as worms or worse. That said, if they called me today to take on some more puppies we would pick them right up. It is a great thing to do but you do have to know your limits. We were going to take some 5 day old abandoned puppies but with all the work bottle feeding for an undetermined amount of time we had to turn them down. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 4 7:38 am

Senior Dogs > Am I wrong?

Roscoe

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 8:21pm PST 
If just old, slow, and a few missteps is worthy of putting a dog down, my poor Roscoe would have to go. He is getting older we will celebrate his 10th bday the beginning of September. We just had him at the vet for potty accidents, he sleeps all the time, possibly losing his hearing, and starting to get cataracts. The vet of course said he is overweight but otherwise he was pretty ok. We thought the way he was acting that it might be close to his time. I bet he will let us know when. On the other side my GSD mix that passed a couple of years ago, and my first "my dog" I know I let go way to long. She had cancer and was really having problems. I couldn't face putting her down but the vet said it would have to be shortly and I had to prepare. She would have good days and then bad so very hard to make the decision (denial) and when we made the decision to have her put down soon, she went on her own in my lap in the front yard. I said I wouldn't let another one go that long. You will know and people should keep opinions to themselves it is just rude.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Aug 6 1:16 pm

Food & Nutrition > How much to feed?

Zoey

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 9:52am PST 
I don't eve know what I am feeding them. I know it sounds bad but they didn't know at the shelter I picked them up from. When the puppies were brought up from another state they had 4 cans of Pedigree soft food and two ziplock bags of a dry dog food. That is what they were feeding them. I will be going to the store to get some more food and try to transition them to something I am more familiar with. I hate to get far from what the shelter feeds because when they get big enough to be adopted out they will go back to the shelter. I think the shelter feeds primarily pedigree and beneful, but I know the also feed what they get donated. Right now I am feeding 4 to 5 times a day with a mixture of both the can and dry food.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 9:52 am

Food & Nutrition > How much to feed?

Zoey

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 2:41pm PST 
I am fostering a mama Chihuahua and her two 5-6 week old puppies. My question is how much should they be eating and how often should they be fed? The mom is still nursing some but the puppies are eating can food mixed with crushed hard food that the shelter dropped off. I am feeding them several times a day and they seem to be eating a lot of food several (about 4) cups a day. Every time I feed them they seem like that they have not eaten in forever. I don't know what it was like before I took them except they were on a kill list. I want to make sure I am feeding the mama enough to still nurse but not over feeding them. I have GSD's so they eat a ton but my sisters Chihuahua doesn't eat that much. I know she is nursing and they eat more. Any suggestions or recommendations?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 9:52 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > You Bake 'Em Dog Biscuts
Zoey

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 6:27pm PST 
I think I might have the same book, of course there are many I am sure. Look for a recipe with peanut butter and cheerios. Little messy but all the dogs I gave them to loved them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 27 6:27 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.