Postings by Lucky (R.I.P)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 71: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Went to the Dog Park the other day
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 11:40am PST 
Angel, I am so glad it was a success and your girl had a blast! Lenny two years ago was invited to a boston terrier's birthday party, she pulled out all the stops and all the dogs had a great time (the birthday girl included). With the right crowd they can be a fun place for people and dogs alike smile
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Angel, Sep 14 3:38 am

Behavior & Training > Went to the Dog Park the other day
Lenny

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 6:06am PST 
Honestly, I wouldn't call it being paranoid. Dog parks, as great as they can be-- can also be one of the worst things for most dogs. Now at my local dog park I know most of the regulars (and almost all of them are great people with great dogs) and have spent enough time to know the dogs that cause trouble or tend to bully (only a handful of those thankfully) and so I can usually find the right time with the right group to go. And if you have a certain breed (Rottie, GSD, Pit Bull, Dobie) even though it is unfair, if there is an incident your dog will likely be blamed even if it wasn't there fault at all.

But there's nothing wrong with just waiting till it's empty and having play dates with dogs you know and trust, and that your dog actually likes. In fact even when it's all decent dogs, I've asked one or two of the owners of dogs Lenny likes if we could just put our two in the small dog side (if it's empty) and let them play. Both dogs seem to have more fun this way, and it gives them more space to run and not worry about bumping into anyone. Plus it gives me piece of mind too cause I'm not constantly watching and waiting for a dog to charge in and try to ruin the fun.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Angel, Sep 14 3:38 am

Dog Health > Pulled muscle?

Lenny

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 6:14pm PST 
Yeah Pepper, that crossed my mind. But even now hours later he seems to be moving better, which I'm sure has something to do with the pain meds but I'm assuming if it was a serious tear his mobility would still be affected more. I'm hoping it's just a tweak, I guess we'll see in a couple days.

And yup he's restricted and on leash for potty breaks and no stairs or jumping either. Thank you for your kind wishes, Pepper, they're much appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Aug 27 4:33 am

Dog Health > Pulled muscle?

Lenny

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 3:33pm PST 
So Lenny and Crash were playing in the yard, running around and all of a sudden mid turn Lenny sat leaning on one side and started SCREAMING this horrible hound scream while he picked up his right hind leg. I picked him up and carried him inside, where he finally stopped screaming, and I inspected his foot. He had no visible injuries to his paw (pad and toes and nails all intact) and didn't show discomfort as I manipulated it. When I touched more up past his foot he kind of flinched, but showed no further discomfort (obviously I didn't manipulate it further).

He is putting some weight on it, but is favoring it and stands without all his weight on it. I've given him some pain meds and he's resting comfortably on the couch with my mom. My dad wanted to rush him to the emergency vet, but I told him I didn't think that was needed.

I'm thinking rest and pain meds if he seems uncomfortable for 2-3 days and if no improvement then I'll take him to the vet. That's what the vet recommended when he tweaked himself like 6-7 months ago. Is there anything else I can do for him meanwhile? I really don't think it's too serious, but I want to do all I can for him until we go to the vet (if we have to go).
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Aug 27 4:33 am

Behavior & Training > Extremely Shy And Anxious

Lenny

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 3:13pm PST 
Lenny at first was sensitive to the clicker sound, so I found a clicker that had a switch to make it more or less loud at petsmart. The softer level was a fairly soft sound, but you could also wrap the clicker in a towel to muffle the sound or use a pen that clicks in and out since that can be a softer sound than an actual clicker. But you can also use a marker word like "YES!" and just consistently use it just like you would the clicker, it's the same premise. Just a sound to mark a movement/behavior that makes it more clear for the dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 30 6:26 pm

Behavior & Training > New Behaviors
Lenny

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 1:36pm PST 
First, congrats on the new baby smile hug

Second... I wish I had some advice for you, I do think the behaviors might get better as he settles into a new routine in the new place with the baby though. But as far as things to do in the now, I'm at a loss. Do puzzle toys help distract him at all, does the food win out? Maybe giving him a toy with food in it would help distract him?
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Aug 29 6:59 pm

Behavior & Training > Extremely Shy And Anxious

Lenny

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 11:18am PST 
I don't have much advice except I would not take away her hiding place, maybe try to provide her with one that you like better? Maybe a small crate against a wall with a blanket to cover the sides with the door taken off could give her a place to go to but still in a way not be totally shut off from what is going on in the room? Lenny still to this day will go in his crate and nest in his blanket especially if the house gets loud, and he's over 3 years old.

Have you done any clicker training with her? I'd maybe try working with her with some extra tasty chicken or cheese or whatever she likes best and work on some behaviors like "touch" and always mark and reward behaviors that you consider brave and would want her to try more often (like giving eye contact for example). Lenny didn't give eye contact cause he's a hound and as a distracted puppy was too busy sniffing, but after a lot of clicking and treating eye contact it got to the point where he just stares at me lol On walks I reward looking to me, even if kind of on accident, and it has somewhat developed a check in behavior which is awesome to have. I don't know if that would help, but maybe it would be easier to start there since you say she seems most confident on walks.

Also for sound you could try a CD of 'scary' sounds and play it extremely low volume with some treats or fun play time to distract her, and eventually gradually increase the volume as she gets more and more comfortable. She'll probably never be totally comfortable, but hopefully with a little bit of positive associations her stress could be lowered with loud sounds at least.

I hope other dogsters have more personal experience and advice to give you too.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 30 6:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Less is More...

Lenny

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 11:05am PST 
When Crash began displaying his reactive behavior, I eventually began walking my dogs separately. Without Lenny to add to the fire, sometimes the reaction Crash would have wouldn't be as over the top and of course now that we have our trainer and we're working on it I definitely have to keep walking him separately. Seeing the progress makes it worth it.

I think Lenny is especially happy with the arrangement since it means on his walk he gets more personal schooling too, working on more advanced heeling and obedience in higher distraction areas. He loves working and he loves working for his dinner, and of course alone time with mom without that other dog is also something he likes a lot.

Even when Crash gets a lot better reactive wise, I'll probably continue to walk mine separately most of the time if not all the time since it does have a lot of positives.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Morrison, Aug 26 12:48 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Cremation ashes, 1 year later

Lucky- (R.I.P)

We were lucky- with you, baby- girl.

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 8:25am PST 
I agree with everyone here, there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Next month it will have been 3 years since Lucky passed, and we still have the box with her ashes in them that sits on the mantle over the fireplace. Next to it sits a picture of her while she was in her prime, and her collar rests on top of the box. Maybe in time we'll bury them, but for now it comforts me to know in some way my protector is still close by and to look and see the dog I remember so clearly in that picture and I used to sit and hold her collar frequently, but I haven't touched it in a year.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maggie (I'm Moms Angel Now), Aug 27 8:41 pm

Behavior & Training > regression after attack
Lenny

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 11:23am PST 
I am so sorry you girl got attacked, I hope both she and your wife are okay (at least physically).

It was obviously very traumatic for her, and the reason she is acting aggressively is based on her fear. She is afraid an attack will happen again, and so her way of demanding space from other dogs is to put on such a dangerous display (and if a dog was to get too close, it's the mentality of a good defense is a good offense). She's just scared. I'm not sure why she'd be nervous around you guys, maybe other dogsters might have a suggestion on why and how further to help her relax around her family again. Until she can though, I'd give her a safe place to go like a crate.

I'd contact a behaviorist to work with you helping to rebuild not only her trust in you all, but also to help her feel more comfortable out on walks with other dogs near by. After an attack like that I'm sure she still has a lot of those stress hormones in her body (it can take weeks to months for certain stress hormones to finally work their way out of the body's system) which obviously isn't helping her and has probably left her on edge. I'd try to go back to the basics with obedience or trick training to help her work on her confidence and the bond between you guys, and I'd also go to walking her at the least busy times possible so as to have her have as few stress responses as possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Boomer, Sep 5 6:36 pm

(Page 1 of 71: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.