Postings by Stewie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

Raw Food Diet > Loosing weight...
Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 12:51am PST 
Thanks Maxwell!! That is a great point! I'll make sure he gets some organ every day then. That helps me with organ, I'm not sure if it will help him gain weight... but maybe?!

Also went out and bought some more bully sticks. I remembered I used to give them more often when I started him on raw and haven't given them for a while. Something for him to enjoy again and maybe it will help a bit with his weight too.

dog walk
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tobi, Aug 14 9:07 am

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 12:54pm PST 
Trigger: Thanks, I've never done free feeding. I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not, just trying to weigh out the options. Thanks for the advice, I should try do kongs more often. smile

Charlie & Zelda: Good point, I wasn't thinking of that... He looks on the thin side this hips, ribs and spine are easy to feel. Because he is kind of fluffy you can't see ribs, and its hard to say if you would see them or not if his hair was shorter thinking. I am feeding about 4.4oz of meat a day and the 2/3 days worth of bone every 2-3 days and whatever organ I can get in.

Maxwell: Yes I am feeding bone with the organ but it is not daily. It is usually every 2-3 days. It's been a challange to get him on the organ that he is on, I may increase the amount next time I feed organ. He is on chicken liver and pork kidney. If he gets too much organ he will get explosive diarrhea... With the digestive enzymes (prozyme) he has been a lot better then he used to be, where the littlest bit of organ would be a big problem. I think I could increase the amount now but I don't want to rush it-worrying that I will go to fast and he'll have the same problem. I feed his meals frozen because he tends to gulp his meats, if it isn't frozen I need to hold his meat because he WILL swallow it whole if he can. It is a good idea to have extra in the fridge, maybe I will have one meal in the fridge and feed the frozen one and just add some more to it from the fridge... He seems pretty bony on feeling him, I can feel his hips easily and there seems to be a tad of a dip in between the hips... Although since he is small it isn't a big dip and it isn't very noticeable (his hips are fairly close together).
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Tobi, Aug 14 9:07 am

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 1:57am PST 
Stewie has been loosing weight... Not in a good way. I have been feeding him raw for a while now, I am not positive when I actually started... If you remember me asking a lot about organs. Apparently stewie's system doesn't like organs very much. I have been giving digestive enzymes with his organs and it has been going fine but I am still not up to the optimal amount yet. I am probably getting 1 days amount in him every 3 days or so, maybe.. Everything else has been going fine. He hasn't had diarrhea in a long while now.

He used to be 11lbs and he was still at a fairly good weight when he dropped to 10lbs, but he is now at 9lbs and I am getting worried about his weight.

I am currently feeding him 3% of his ideal weight (11lbs) but am thinking he needs to be fed more. The only problem is all his meals are already weighed and frozen and it seems like a big chore to make sure everything is in the right proportions along with feeding him more... especially with his problem with getting all the organs.

hoping some of you will have some thoughts or suggestions on how I can help him gain weight. Is there anything else I can do? Have any of you gone through this?

Is free feeding an option? How can I make sure he gets all the proportions right with bone and organs if I do it this way? Whole prey I suppose would be a possibility but access is very limited where I live.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Tobi, Aug 14 9:07 am

Raw Food Diet > How do I introduce liver?

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Sat May 7, '11 4:16pm PST 
So apparently stewie doesn't like any kind of organs... would you recommend a probiotic (or is it prebiotic...)? Do you think that may help the situation? If so, would you recommend a certain brand or type.

Many thanks, Stewie.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Pookie, May 9 10:23 pm

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 12:41am PST 
Thanks, I'll start introducing kidney then. I'll keep feeding the freeze-dried liver since he has no problems with that, at least he will be getting some of those nutrients still.

Stewie is supposed to be getting about 10grams of liver a day. I have been feeding him less then a gram once or twice a week. So I am pretty sure I am not overdoing the liver... The last piece I gave which is bigger then usual was about half an inch long and not very thick. I always give it frozen, but the fact that it is so small it thaws right away.

Anyways, hopefully kidney doesn't cause many problems.
I'd love to go get a different kind of liver right now to see if it would be different but I don't necessarily want to be stocked up with a life time supply of liver laugh out loud. I'll wait till I have kidney transitioned then I will try again.

Thanks again.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Pookie, May 9 10:23 pm

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 1:42am PST 
As a lot of you know. I have been having troubles getting Stewie to adjust to liver in his diet. I have come on here to say: this is the slowest transition to anything I have ever had to deal with. There hasn't really been much progress since my last posts, which I admit were a little while ago now.

I have been giving him a tiny piece of liver 1-2 times a week for the last few weeks. Even last week he had diarrhea inside the house again. I gave him another piece tonight and we'll see how it goes.

I have a few questions... so here it goes:

During this transition is there anything I can substitute? - as in vegetables - just until I can get him fully on liver? I know most of us here feed prey-model, and I'd like to too but right now I don't see much option... Its been about 2 months now that I have been feeding raw and haven't really had a chance to get any organs in red face shock

I have freeze-dried liver treats. He is completely fine with them... but do they have the same nutrients as raw liver? or does it not have much nutrients after it is freeze-dried? Just curious because if I can use that as part of the liver content then I am pretty much set. But I have a feeling it is not as good.

Third question: I have not started kidney or really any other organ yet because I was waiting till I was done with liver. But since that is taking such a long time, should I start that now? Do dogs have the same problem with kidney as they do liver?

Ahh, I hate not being able to do it by the book. Its very frustrating.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks again for all the help.. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Pookie, May 9 10:23 pm

Dog Health > When it rains it pours....

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 12:36pm PST 
Wow, it sounds like you are going through a lot. I hope for you and your BF that it will be treatable and that it won't cause too much stress in your lives. I hope that your BF won't take it too hard when you tell him the news...

Stewie and I will be praying for you, your BF, Cara and Leah. hug

- We also haven't been on in a while... life calls wink
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Apr 20 3:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > again with the bacteria

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Sat Mar 26, '11 3:15am PST 
Hey, welcome to Raw!! Not sure if you have been given this link yet but I'll give it to you anyways. So your interested in feeding Raw Its super helpful. And here is a feeding guide spreadsheet which will calculate how much you need to give. These threads are just so important for researching when you are starting out, I have them bookmarked and am always going back to them.

As for your question, (I don't have a dog with long facial hair) I wouldn't worry too much about the bacteria... I have heard many people saying that they wipe of their dogs mouths after they eat for both long haired dogs and short haired. A lot of dogs do not like using their paws while eating, you will find out if your dog is one of them. If your dog does use his paws a lot then you may choose to wipe them off, but raw feeders are lazy and thats just more work big laugh. I wouldn't worry too much.

I never wipe stewies face/feet off after he eats. He does use his paws from time to time but it is very rare.
I do make him eat on a towel and I use a new towel every day so there is no bacterial growth. I also clean the floor from time to time too.
Stewie sleeps with me all the time, he even comes under the blankets every once in a while shh laugh out loud.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Mar 26 2:32 pm

Raw Food Diet > Bully Stick?

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Sat Mar 26, '11 2:47am PST 
Stewie loves bully sticks! He isn't a heavy chewer so a 6 inch stick usually lasts about 2-3 days, I sometimes take it away if walks away from it and I give it to him later.

I usually take away the last little bit before he eats it because I am afraid he will choke on it. He is usually pretty good at making it small, but there was one time he swallowed it because he was running around with it - he gaged for like 10 min but went down and was digested and we never saw it again. The reason why rawhide is bad is because it expands when wet so if swallowed it can cause a blockage, but bully sticks do not expand and should also digest.

Just watch him eat it the first few times so you know how he does with it, but if he eats it within 5 min like others are saying I would always supervise.

Also make sure you get the scent-less ones, unless you enjoy horrible breath. I give my smelly ones sparingly because I hate bully stick breath - I am getting the scent-less ones next time.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Conker, Mar 26 5:11 pm

Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 3:51pm PST 
Holly - I have been giving it frozen except it sort of melts because it is so small. For the past week or 2 now I have been giving TINY pieces of liver with his bone in meals which is about 2-3 times a week.(I can't think of a example in size that I give except maybe the size of a # button on a remote control laugh out loud)

Anyways its been going ok, his poop has been on the soft-ish side the day after but he's had no Cannon-Butt. I plan on trying twice that amount today, I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Pookie, May 9 10:23 pm

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.