Postings by Jack CD/CDX, CGC's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Pomeranian > How much does your pom weigh?
Leonardo

Small but- mighty!

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '14 4:35am PST 
Coming up on 7 months and 4 pounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cassidy Angel, Sep 8 11:04 am

Pomeranian > Frustrated
Bear, CGC

Yes, I really am- this cute.

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '14 4:32am PST 
It sounds like you should seek the help of a reputable trainer. Boogie needs to learn some manners. Did you teach him basic obedience such as sit, down, stay, come and wait? Those are the foundation you will need to build on.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bear, CGC, Jun 5 4:32 am

Food & Nutrition > Toxic Dog Treats from China

Bear, CGC

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 12:34pm PST 
Since the information came out I have always wondered if contaminated treats contributed to my pup Jack's kidney failure and death. He was a senior dog but in very good health other than that. I threw away everything when I heard about the issue with imported food/treats from China and I'm a very careful label reader now for Bear and our newly adopted pup.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 26 12:12 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Trying to help a friend adopt... she is getting frustrated!

Bear, CGC

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 1:37pm PST 
Thanks all, I have suggested a half a dozen breeders she could talk to and she has contacted a few. From what she has told me, the breeders she talked to do not have any litters now. They were hoping to be able to use the week and a half that they will be off from work and school to get the new doggie in a routine and settled in, and to let the kids spend some time with the new pup before heading back to school in January.

Dogster is all dog people. We understand the whole deal with waiting for just the right dog and most of us have the patience to do that (it took me a number of months from the beginning of my search to when I adopted Bear). But the general public who are not dog people don't have a lot of patience with being rejected and blown off. After a month or so of not being able to connect with a group that will work with her she is just feeling like rescues are too picky and she should look elsewhere.

I have to admit, I can see her point of view although I certainly do hope she does not decide to go the store route. We have talked about shelters but since there are kids involved she was concerned that there might not be enough information about a dog for her to feel comfortable adopting from a shelter. A rescue seemed perfect because the dogs will have been evaluated by the rescue, for the most part lived in foster homes and you will have a very good idea of what you are getting. I talked to Bear's rescue and they are keeping an eye out for a dog that might suit her needs but they very rarely get smaller dogs and are known mainly for rescuing Pitties.

She is not looking for a 3 pound Chihuahua, she has been looking at fairly substatntial breeds like Shih Tzu, Mini Schnauzer, Mini Poodle, Sheltie, Beagle etc. which are in the 10 plus pound range. Her kids are very gentle with Bear who is 5 1/2 pounds, and they were likewise with my senior Minpin who we recently lost (he was 9 pounds). My kids were raised from birth with small dogs and if the parents are responsible it can certainly be done with success.

I don't know what else to tell her other than "hang in there" and that the right dog will come along. But I am starting to see that there is a reason why pet stores still manage to find a niche. No one likes to be rejected (in this case she is a very successful, educated person and is feeling like these rescues are judging her and saying she is not fit to have a dog), and with cash in hand you can get bouncy, cute, instant gratification at PuppyLove Boutique. I hate it, but I don't how I can convince her to not take it personally and to just keep contacting rescues until she finds the right fit. thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Trixie, Dec 18 4:14 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Trying to help a friend adopt... she is getting frustrated!

Bear, CGC

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 12:01pm PST 
My neighbor and good friend has, after thinking about it for many months, decided to bring a dog into their family. She turned to me for help since she knows I have been involved in the dog world for many years and used to do rescue myself.

Her children are young and just about the same ages as mine (5 and 7). She has a fenced yard and she works from home, owns her home and would be a very good dog caretaker. Her kids have been to my house many times and have learned how to behave with my dogs and I think they would be good jr. dog caretakers.

Unfortunately the 2 rescues I know well do not have any smaller dogs available so I helped her find some other local rescues and dogs that she would be interested in on petfinder... and she keeps getting turned down mainly because she would be a first time dog owner and because of the ages of her kids.

I understand her frustration, I was turned down by several rescues as well and then I found Bear's rescue who took the time to talk to me and take a look at my credentials and references.

She is a smart person. She knows where store pups come from. But she is seriously considering the puppy store option now because after 3 rejections she just doesn't think anyone will ever approve her for a dog she wants. I am losing her to the dark side and 3 rescues have lost an opportunity to place a dog in a very good home.

Any suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Trixie, Dec 18 4:14 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Thinking about a Pom
Bear, CGC

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 11:41am PST 
Poms are much smarter and easier to train than they are sometimes given credit for. I can't say enough good things about Bear. Lots of positive reinforcement works well with them. They get a reputation for being one of the typical yappy, snippy small dog syndrome type dogs sometimes but if you take the time for training they are really wonderful.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Ouija, Dec 18 7:49 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Should he stay or should he go?

Bear, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '11 8:09am PST 
I hope you can work things out and keep him. Can you find a trainer to work with or enroll in a class to help you learn how to communicate with him? He needs to learn what is acceptable and what is not and if you are having trouble training him on your own seek help!

What kinds of activities do you do with him to wear him out? Frisbee or ball are good options if he enjoys them. Biking with a high energy dog is also good and will help to tire him out, but having a good foundation in basic obedience is a must so no one gets hurt.

I am sure other folks will have good suggestions for you, let us know how things go.
[notify]
» There has since been 49 posts. Last posting by ♠ Mickey ♠, Nov 8 6:50 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Everytime I say I plan to get a dog from a breeder... (kinda rantish)

Bear, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '11 7:55am PST 
I am wrestling with this very topic myself since I have been considering our next canine family member for some months now.

Personally, I think going with a reputable breeder who does health testing, has a way of measuring the success of their breeding program (showing, working etc.) and who stands behind their dogs is a very legit option. One breed of dog that I have been very interested in for a long time is somewhat rare (German Pinscher) and a breeder would be the route to take.

But, I have a guilt complex over wanting to buy from a breeder that I don't know that I can overcome and I may well end up with a rescue or shelter dog in the end. I did breed rescue for years and I can't stop thinking about the fact that I could save a life by adopting from a rescue (allowing them to rescue another) or from a kill shelter. A lot of rescue people who put their heart and soul into rescuing dogs will tell you that there just IS no other option other than rescue.

I am still grieving over the very recent loss of my dog, Jack who was an amazing dog, my companion and friend for more than 13 years and he was from a breeder. I have Bear, who has been a great comfort to us in our sorrow and he is from a rescue. He too is a super dog, but I put the time and effort into training, socialization and helping both of them to learn how to be a part of our family. Dogs don't know how to live in our homes and fit into our lives unless we teach them that and some breeds are tougher than others for sure. All dogs change as they grow into their personalities and a young dog from a shelter can become difficult to handle just as a dog from a good breeder can, but you should get lifetime support and help from the breeder.

I would never judge anyone for choosing breeder over rescue/shelter, it is a personal choice. To the OP, you have set your goals and are going about things in a well thought out way, don't let anyone get you down for whatever you decide to do.
[notify]
» There has since been 69 posts. Last posting by , Nov 9 9:35 pm

Pomeranian > Pomeranians and children: walk etiquette?

Bear, CGC

Barked: Sun Oct 30, '11 6:32am PST 
Kids definitely have the potential to "freak out" a dog that has not been conditioned to see that their high pitched voices and rapid movements mean fun and treats rather than something scary.

Since we have children, Bear was raised with kids since the time we adopted him. We also made an extra effort to socialize him with other children knowing that he would be exposed to lots of them throughout his lifetime. Now, we wait at the bus stop in the morning and Bear gets passed around between more than a dozen neighborhood kids every morning and he loves every minute of it. Of course, I am always there to supervise but it just makes life easier knowing that he loves kids and is friendly toward them.

To me it's well worth it to work on a positive association with kids if you can, especially with a cute, fluffy dog like a Pom which kids are drawn to and want to touch. A park is a good place to provide some controlled, positive reinforcement since you will almost certainly find kids there that you can borrow to make that connection.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nicky, Nov 1 6:13 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I can't believe he is gone...
Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '11 9:30am PST 
Thank you so much for your support fellow dogsters. This has been so hard for me! After so many years with him I just have this big empty hole in my life right now and I am trying so hard not to let the kids see how difficult this is for me since they have been relatively ok. I am definitely taking it the worst out of everyone in our family, but then again I had Jack before I had hubby, or the kids or Bear. He was always there for me throughout the years.

I picked up his ashes today and will scatter them on our favorite beach and hiking trail (there is a pic of us hiking there in Jack's profile with our other Minpin Erik, who passed 4 years ago), and hopefully that will give me some peace knowing that he is there with Erik, our little red dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sully & Socks Our Angel , Oct 29 9:41 pm

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.