Postings by Rocket's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 127: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > It's been a while since we logged on, but one of the Hounds needs some PoTP!
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 8:20am PST 
We'll be keeping our paws crossed for you guys. hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 76 posts. Last posting by Missy , Sep 15 6:53 am

Food & Nutrition > Blue Buffalo vs. 4Health
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 8:17am PST 
I tried to use 4health a while back. We fed our dogs a "version" of blue buffalo (it was a brand only at Giant stores, "Harmony farms" but we later found out it had the same exact ingredients as and was bought out by BB.) When I found it and examined the ingredients I was absolutely ecstatic! It was food Angel could have at freakin half the price. (He has bad food allergies.)

I got it and tried it and switched it over slowly (a week.) Both Angel and Rocket got the WORST blow out diarrhea ever. I switched them back to BB, and decided to try to switch it again slower, over two weeks. Again, the worst diarrhea (and puking) I had ever seen.

I don't know why it happened, it could have been a bad batch or my dogs could just really not agree with something in it...but I don't trust it. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, just thought I'd throw my experience in there as a word of caution.

I was really really disappointed. I was hoping I would be able to recommend that as a much healthier food for people who were strapped for cash. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jul 25 6:05 am

Dog Health > Epiphen

Rocket

Rocket Dog!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 9:40pm PST 
Some epilepsy drugs do cause neurological symptoms for a while until your dog gets used to it. Its a known side effect, however if it's that severe I'd definitely notify your vet. If the side effects are too severe you might have to try another epilepsy drug. (Luckily, there are a lot out there. smile )

Good luck, keep us posted!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rocket, Jul 18 9:40 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Whats a good type of blanket for dogs who rip things up?

Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 9:31pm PST 
I second the Kuranda bed idea. At my school we use those and I've rarely ever seen them destroyed or chewed up.

Probably another idea, which the pups might like more, is a few durable toys for them to play with. A lot of times destructive behavior is due to boredom (they turned their blanket into a toy), so they might be just as happy with a big kong or something like that. (Though I'd make sure the toy is large enough they can't swallow it. I'm EXTREMELY picky about what toys I leave with Angel and Rocket since Angel rips up toys, but luckily he is a pillow hog so he's happy as long as he can sleep on my bed.)
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Foxxy, Jul 25 12:32 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Custody Battle

Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 12:40pm PST 
If it goes to court, your cousin would have to show legal records that show the dog was in his name (such as vet papers, etc.) Normally, if he was the one that was paying for the dog at the vet, payed for the dog itself etc then the court would award the dog to him.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Jul 17 1:14 pm

Dog Health > question for vet technitians on this site...
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 2:36am PST 
I would look at the laws for vet tech certifications in the states you [i]intend[/i] to live in. Some states will allow you to take the boards test and become registered with only experience working in a vets office. Some other states will only allow you to take your test to become certified if you have gone to an accredited school.

If you choose a school, most of all make sure its ACCREDITED. I don't know how common a problem it is in vet tech schools, but I do have a couple friends who got a bogus degree from an uncredited school and were basically hung out to dry when it came time to get a job.

I looked at prospective earnings and asked around a bit about wages, and the pay is really low. It's hard, emotionally demanding work for not a whole lot of pay. Sometimes it seems like techs feel like they are doing all the "real" work for the vet and getting paid usually 1/5th of what the vet is making. It really is only a job to get if you really love working with animals, because unless you put a lot of effort into you position (attaining specialties via continuing education seminars, competing for high positions, working really closely with your vet for raises.) And the burn-out rate is high, because you're going to come up against a lot of really crappy situations like owners who want to euthanize for stupid reasons, owners who don't take good care of their pets yet you can't say anything, owners who can't afford treatment and vets calling the shots on it.

Even though the pay looks bad, I'm personally happy I decided to go to school for it. But I'm still just a student who hasn't gotten out into the "real clinic world" yet so take it with a grain of salt. But if you do well your aren't just limited to vet clinics, there's a lot of places that want to have technicians on staff to care for their animals like kennels, rescues, places like race tracks or experimental labs or college animal programs.

While I wouldn't say it's a complete dead-end job, there really isn't a lot of room for upwards growth. I know a lot of vet techs that have a part time job at a clinic and go to college on the side for something else. And if you're looking eventually to get into something like vet school, it is GREAT to have on your resume. Actually I think it's something great to have on your resume if you want to get into anything in the animal world, like training or something like that. If you want to get into something completely different, you'd have to decide whether the cost of schooling is worth the temporary career move, but it is definitely possible to branch out into something more while you have a tech position somewhere. (And it at least makes as much money as more traditional "college" jobs like waitressing etc, so if you really love working with animals and you don't mind investing the money in certification/schooling I'd say it's not a bad idea.)
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Luna, Jul 16 2:36 am

Dog Health > Vet visit - not happy

Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 2:20am PST 
Whether or not the rabies was actually required, there was no excuse for the vet's behavior. She should have at least explained the laws if there was a misunderstanding. The rest of it (the extra dewormers, the pushing of frontline/etc) just screams money scheme. I'd say find a new vet, but it seems like you already have. smile

Stories like this make me nervous to be a vet tech. My school has a great education, don't get me wrong, but it keeps coming up that "it's going to be your job to get your customers to sell products and vets will be pissed if you don't." I can definitely see making suggestions based PURELY on what I think would be healthiest for the pet, but even after 3 or so years in the glasses business I'm never going to be able to treat clients like a walking wallet. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dunkin, Jul 14 4:40 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Craigslist

Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 2:15am PST 
I wonder if it would be more effective just to have a side group that reported their info straight to the authorities. That way it's anonymous and something further can be done to stop them from doing more than just reposting again.

Though, you have to be careful of that, you can't report people without any real investigating to see if the conditions are really bad.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Angel, Jul 13 2:15 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > APHIS/USDA Breeding Regulations

Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 2:09am PST 
It seems like there's a lot of argument about semantics/etc. Unfortunately, the loudest and most active "animal rights activists" are the most extreme people, so they give everyone that cares about the welfare of animals a bad name and induces a lot of finger pointing and assumptions.

While I definitely think this law needs a lot of refinement, I think it's a good first draft. I think most good breeders can agree, SOMETHING needs to be done about shady BYBs and puppy mills because they are destroying the breed just as much as extremists like PETA and HSUS are (by trying to adopt legislation that would effectively euthanize all pets.)

I think it's actually a good idea to include "regular" pet owners in the debate, because you need a common, middle ground in all this to try and get a healthy consensus. All of the "experts" are going to have more extreme-ish views because they are at best going to have vastly different perspectives/experiences, or at worst different motives. One of the smartest teachers (a vet) at my school thinks there's never an excuse to breed because she's had to euthanize shelter animals for years. While I don't agree with that, I can definitely imagine my own views would start to radicalize if I spent a lot of time in that environment as well.

I don't know whether I want this particular bill to pass...hopefully they can come up with something with a little more protection for responsible breeders to put on the floor.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Trixie Bean!, Jul 31 3:07 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > RIP Lennox
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 1:51am PST 
Part of me wonders if the family said those things about Lennox to try and keep the dog warden away from him, even if not true, and it just backfired on them. thinking From the few "assessment" videos I saw he seemed to be really good with strangers.

Regardless, it's just a sad situation all around. I honestly agree with Victoria Stillwell, I think that the reason they didn't let Lennox go to her was because he was either in such terrible condition they didn't want to get their butts sued/prosecuted for abuse or he was already dead and was trying to buy time to try and come up with an excuse that wouldn't piss off the international audience (or hopes that the world would just stop caring.) Other than just plain cruel-heartedness, I can't think of any other reason they wouldn't at least give the family the dogs collar (even if there was some weird law that said they couldn't give them the body.)

IIRC, Victoria Stillwell herself said he looked really terrible in recent photos (he was missing A LOT of fur) so it's not too far off the mark to assume they neglected him to death.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Jul 14 6:46 pm

(Page 1 of 127: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.