Postings by Carl's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

Choosing the Right Dog > What\'s the worst intentional \"hybrid\" you\'ve seen?
Owen

Is it time for- noms yet?

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 5:15pm PST 
A friend of mine met a dachsund-English Bulldog mix. shock

She said it had the worst traits of both breeds.
[notify]
» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by , Aug 18 3:54 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Websites that showcase adoptable dogs
Owen

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 10:27am PST 
The problem with "good with kids" or "good with cats" is that, due to legal reasons, shelters really can't make those claims. We can observe behavior in the shelter, but the shelter environment is SO DIFFERENT from a home environment, an animal's behavior is likely to change when the environment changes. Foster homes provide a bit more information than shelter observations, but still, animals and their behavior can be unpredictable.

And also, a dog could be good with a particular cat, or a particular kid, but not cats in general or kids in general.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Owen, Apr 3 10:27 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Oskars Barktulis (Philly Animal Control) is getting kennel-stressed! Pls share!

Owen

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 10:18am PST 
I am a volunteer at Philadelphia Animal Care and Control Team (ACCT). Over a year ago, we instituted a "Pen Pal" program. The shelter has a number of animals who have been waiting longer than others for an adoptive home. These dogs are smart, loving, healthy, behaviorally adoptable animals that just need some extra attention and socialization to be confident, loving pets. The Pen Pal Program aims to prioritize these animals’ adoptions, allows them time away from the shelter, and allows adopters to work one-on-one with the person who knows the dog/cat on a personal level; their Pen Pals!

Anyway, my Pen Pal is a brindle 3- to 5-year-old pit bull mix. He is already neutered. He is a smart, affectionate boy. He learned "sit" in one afternoon, and we are working on "lay down." He is a medium-energy dog: he can keep up with an active family, but settles down quickly for cuddles.

I'm trying desperately to get him out, because he is getting stressed sitting in the shelter. He is trying to dig out of his kennel, and he has ripped off three toenails already. He is living in a high-kill shelter. We don't have enough volunteers to walk all the dogs every day.

Please share his Craigslist ad (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pet/2302822057.html) or his blog (http://adoptapawsitiveattitude.blogspot.com). He can either be fostered (within driving distance of Philadelphia), or adopted (PA, NJ, DE, MD), or pulled by a 501c3 rescue. The shelter does not offer transport.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Owen, Apr 3 10:18 am

Behavior & Training > Victoria Stillwell

Owen

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 4:10pm PST 
For the most part, I love Victoria, her humane training methods, and pro-rescue stance.

I wish she was a little more open to crating, though.
[notify]
» There has since been 46 posts. Last posting by Bella and Daisy CGC, Jan 31 10:47 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Question about ADA - federal or local?

Owen

Barked: Wed Jan 5, '11 4:54pm PST 
Thanks, Reboot!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by John, Jan 6 1:15 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Question about ADA - federal or local?
Owen

Barked: Wed Jan 5, '11 4:28pm PST 
Are ADA laws federal (do the ADA laws govern the whole country, no matter what state you live in?) or local (do they vary from state to state?)

The reason I'm asking is, there is a thread on my local community's message board (not Dogster related), asking about the pet policy of our local public transportation in Philadelphia. Someone wanted to know if she could take her lab on the train to go visit her cousin in another part of the city.

Local public transit says you can only bring pets onto the train in a carrier (so, you're limited to small animals, cats, and small breed dogs).

Somebody replied, "Easy, just but a 'service dog' outfit and you're done!"

I replied that that is a felony. Nobody believes that it is, nor that it should be, because it's not "comparable" to other felonies, like murder (thank dog laws on crimes are not made based on how they "compare" to other crimes!)

Anyway, somebody said it varied state to state. Does it? Was I wrong?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by John, Jan 6 1:15 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > mike jerk vick

Owen

Barked: Sat Dec 18, '10 3:21pm PST 
Titus and Budrow, once Vick is "released" from supervised probation in 2012, he will be permitted to own a dog again.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Dec 30 1:19 pm

Dog Health > Dogs with Cushing's Disease

Owen

Barked: Fri Dec 17, '10 5:51am PST 
Hi guys. My mommy used to have Cushing's disease. She had surgery three years ago today, and she went back to a Cushing's support forum to tell her story.

And she discovered that they've added a forum specifically for animals that have Cushing's! It looks pretty new (only a few messages posted so far), but she wanted to share, because the more people that find the forum, the more active and supportive it will be.

The link is http://www.cushings-help.com. Then click on forums, then register. Then search for "Pets/Animals with Cushing's."
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Owen, Dec 17 5:51 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > mike jerk vick

Owen

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 7:03pm PST 
Bailee,

Yes, Stallworth got behind the wheel of a car after drinking (his BAL was just barely over the legal limit). However, it was determined that a stone-cold sober person would also have hit and killed that person.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Dec 30 1:19 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > traveling through towns with BSL
Owen

Barked: Wed Dec 15, '10 6:50pm PST 
Bailee, it violates the PA State Constitution to enact laws that target one specific breed (i.e., BSL). So, no place in PA should have BSL, though a councilman in Bristol township in Bucks County (southeastern PA) is trying his hardest :-(
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Bones, Jan 15 6:47 am

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.