Postings by Doc's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Choosing the Right Dog > Joyful, happy dog - what breed would you choose?
Monty

Zoom zoom zoom

Barked: Mon Jul 4, '11 12:35pm PST 
hey Turner Monty here! hamster dance So many short-haired fun dogs, I'm half Catahoula Leapard Dog, a short-haired hound who can climb trees! I climb the walls around my house and I'm loads of fun.

That said, so many Pit/pit-mixes fill shelters! Folks are scared frown of pits because people have abused the breed. But they are GREAT dogs! If it were me and MY heart said Pit, I'd PIT ME!

My mommie went through this same thing when her GSD died, that's when she got DOC! My Best Buddy!

Whatever you do, our pack can see that your next buddy will have a great forever home!applausecheerhi5hi5
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Sirius Padfoot Black, Jul 15 8:10 am

Get Well Soon > Been told its now a spinal cell sarcoma
Shannon

I\'m so pretty!

Barked: Mon Jul 4, '11 12:05pm PST 
Hi Molly,

I found this on SPINDAL cell sarcoma, is this the prognosis?

http://www.vetinfo.com/spindle-cell-sarcoma-in-dogs.html

Trea tment Options for Spindle Cell Sarcoma

Due to the fact that the spindle cell sarcomas don’t grow at a speedy rate, surgery is often the course of treatment chosen. Surgery can be advised if the spindle cell sarcoma is located in a single area and doesn’t seem to affect neighboring organs. The vet will perform a few x-rays and ultrasounds to make sure the neighboring organs are not affected by the cancerous cells.

The surgery will involve general anesthesia and should be performed as soon as possible, to prevent the development of the tumor.

After the surgery, the vet will recommend a chemotherapy, which will put an end to the growing of cancerous cells. The dog should be checked periodically, as after the surgery the spindle cell sarcoma may grow back.

If the tumor is metastasized, surgery cannot be performed and the prognosis is poor.

Read more: Spindle Cell Sarcoma in Dogs - VetInfo

Hopefully this helps you
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by ♥ DarlaMae ♥, Jul 7 7:13 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > Our pack started a web magazine!

Monty

Zoom zoom zoom

Barked: Mon Jul 4, '11 11:55am PST 
Neat webmag! Thanksdog
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Savannah aka Banners!, Aug 28 7:27 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Need Advice ASAP

Shannon

I\'m so pretty!

Barked: Mon Jul 4, '11 11:44am PST 
Buy Alfie a muzzel, a good solid collar,a shock collar AND commit to walking and working with Alfie DAILY. Only hard work can save him now. Get some books on socializing Alfie. Work with him in progressively more challenging situations using the shock collar VERY SPARINGLY to bring Alfie out of the red zone.

You must understand that your committment to Alfie will not only save him but will make him a much happier pal!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by (retired)minister misty, Jul 5 3:08 am

Party Time & Virtual Play Dates > Celebrate Independance Day!

Doc

The Doctor, good- for what ails- ya!

Barked: Mon Jul 4, '11 10:49am PST 
To all my pupster pals, woofs and barks to those out there wearing uniforms applauseapplause and to all those who are missing their four-legged friends while deployed overseas. hamster dance Forever in your debt, forever grateful for service given freely to safeguard your fellow citizens!
And lets give a howl to those MWD's! The Military Working Dogs!cheercheer Keeping the boys and girls safe!

Happy 4TH!applausehaildancingcheerway to goway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Doc, Jul 4 10:49 am

Dog Health > Beating the heat?
Shannon

I\'m so pretty!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 7:16pm PST 
Hi all! Shannon here in AZ where it was +105 today. We have lots of tricks for heat, many of you have already mentioned the best ones, kiddie pools, cooling beds, reflective vests. These are all awesome! A few more suggestions are:

1. Nice cool bath
2. Homemade mud wallow - let your pup lay in the shade in a new hole where you have moistened the hole with water - messy but fun when followed with a bath! This depends on the size and beauty of your yard. But hey, it's your best buddy! Whats a little mud between friends?
3. Walk early in the morning when it's cooler.
4. A quick spritz with the hose is great but be sure to run the hot water out first.

Keeping you home cool without AC is tough but you can help yourself by using heavy curtains to keep out the sun and closing all windows and doors during the day.

I also get a shave every summer. I know that this method has upsides and downsides but I seem to stay cooler and look happier!

Happy Summer everybody!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Butler, Jun 23 8:09 pm

Dog Health > Rattlesnake Avoidance Training

Shannon

I\'m so pretty!

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 10:14pm PST 
Hey Tika,

It isn't uncommon for snakes to lose their fangs in the wild and the fangs grow back. Rattlesnakes are excetionally dangerous creatures. They aren't afraid of you. They will persue you or your pet if provoked. They don't always sound a warning and can strike from 2-3 feet away depending on how big they are. And they can kill an adult human being or large dog if a full dose of venin is delivered.

I don't recognize a snake being equal to my furkids or your furkids. Defanging makes the snake safer. That works for me.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Angel, Aug 4 2:01 am

Dog Health > Heart worm medicine debate.

Doc

The Doctor, good- for what ails- ya!

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 8:50am PST 
I have had many dogs and consistantly applied flea/tick products and given Heartworm monthly after my lab-mix was infected. All of my fur-kids have lived long and happy lives, my GSD lived to be 15.5 years old, I have a 75lb golden/border collie mix who is 14 and extremely healthy.

Longevity and health depend on regular excersize, good food, and breeding. Dogs simply do not live long enough for most chemically induced diseases to appear.

While holistic vets may work for some, I prefer the efficacy of well established science. Heartworm treatments monthly ensure that my furkids are protected. Their lives, health, and happiness are my responsibility and I'm not willing to gamble them for the sake of political correctness.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Adam, May 31 1:44 pm

Shannon

I\'m so pretty!

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 7:43am PST 
Hey Fritz,

That has not been my experience. Training here uses snakes that have had their fangs and venom sacks removed. Perhaps you should try a different trainer.dog
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Angel, Aug 4 2:01 am

Shannon

I\'m so pretty!

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 9:01pm PST 
Thanks Brown! Great Post!

Here in Az we have hundreds of furkids bitten every year. Smaller dogs are especailly vunerable as the snakes can see them as prey, injecting them with a full dose of poison. Larger dogs are seen as threats and the snake will reduce the dose it injects or even "dry bite", chosing to save it's venom. Smaller younger snakes are more dangerous because they have not yet learned to regulate the amount of venom them inject.

We also have two types of rattlesnakes, diamondbacks and mohaves. the Mohave snakes inject a neuro-toxin which can paralize a dog. Thier bite are nearly 100% fatal. Shannon was lucky, she was bitten by a mature diamondback who did not give her a full dose. She lost some tissue on her muzzle and now bears a lightinig scar (Harry Potter eat your heart out!)

That said, Shannon could have avoided the pain and recovery had I done the right thing in the first place.

Woofs and barks!applause
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Angel, Aug 4 2:01 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.