Postings by Oscar's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Puppy Place > What Breed Is Daisy?
Daisy

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 2:16pm PST 
I adopted Daisy a week ago. She's a very sweet and for the most part calm puppy. She's about 30 pounds.
The shelter said she was a lab x rottie, but I think she's way too small for that. Any ideas?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by UCH Onyx TT, CGC, Feb 28 5:18 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Interesting Results of Highest/Lowest Ranked Pet Ownership States
Daisy

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 10:18am PST 
I'm not surprised to see wv. It seems like everybody owns a lot of pets, which is fine by me laugh out loud.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Daisy, Feb 24 10:18 am

Behavior & Training > How to introduce toys?

Daisy

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 9:44am PST 
A few days ago I adopted a seven/eight month old puppy, Daisy. The shelter said she was a lab x rottie, but considering she's 30 pounds I'm not so sure.
She's a very well behaved puppy, and we've had no huge problems. I just want to nip all her little problems in the bud before they get worse.
Something that I think is important to point out is that she was given up due to her former owners health problems and she was taken in with another, elderly, dog. That's about all I know. I'm assuming her old house was pretty relaxed. In a way, it's a good thing because she's very calm. But she also doesn't know how to handle herself when she wanted to run and play. She doesn't know how to play except with other dogs.
I can see when she wants to get up and do something. She'll pace, nudge me and play bow.
But toys seem foreign to her and when I try to run/jog with her she just gets under my feet.
She has shown interest in toys, she's mouthed a few plush toys and even once (very gently and nervously) retrieved one. She also seems to want in when I play with my other dog.
I'm thinking she was taught not to bite or chew on things in her last home, which is good because she doesn't destroy things but bad because she doesn't really have an outlet for her energy.
Any ideas on how to make toys more fun to her?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Indiana, Feb 22 10:09 am

Dog Health > Shaking?

Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 1:22am PST 
This is something I've been wondering, as opposed to something that's worrying me. I don't think it's anything serious, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Anyway, Oscar shakes. He trembles. It's usually only a paw at a time, and mostly when he's excited. It's not extreme, but you can clearly see he's shaking.
He's done it since we got him three years ago and I'd stopped noticing it until my mother mentioned that his jaw was shaking yesterday. I didn't see it happen, and I'm not really sure what she meant, but she said his teeth were clattering?
So I started watching and noticed it was more frequent than it had been. I don't think I can write it off as excitement anymore and it's nothing to do with cold... or any other factor I can think of.
Again, it isn't severe and doesn't seem to impact him at all, but I'm kind of curious about it. Any insight?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Seth, Dec 28 3:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Building (or rebuilding?) drive

Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:02pm PST 
It's hard to end play sessions while he's still interested, but I will certainly try!
Thanks you guys. I feel like I'm being difficult, although I'm not trying to. He's difficult, for sure, but I know I'm probably too hard on him.
As far as being part Kelpie, he could be? He looks like it but I've never even seen a Kelpie in real life. They aren't common around here at all.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Dec 18 7:47 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > If I were to get another dog...
Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:41pm PST 
Oscar (who is an ACD with maybe a dash of something else) is so lacking in drive, it surprises me too. I have a thread on that in the training section. I've really been looking for some sort of activity to do with him. We've done some very easy competitive obedience through 4H. He didn't do badly, but also didn't enjoy himself much. He did what he was supposed to, but lost points for lack of enthusiasm.

I hadn't thought of what I could offer to a dog, to be honest. That is certainly something worth thinking over. As far as your questions, I'm not sure whether you meant I just think them over or actually answer. In any case, writing it out help me think. So:

When you say you "sports" breeds, why? What about them appeals to you?-
I guess I mean like border collies and shelties. Mostly dogs that excel in agility. I like their personality and drive. They are always just so much fun to be around! At the same time, I'm not sure I'd want such an intense dog as some of the border collies I've met are.

What would you want to do with one, consider both daily and intermittently (agility, hunting, herding etc)?-
First and foremost, it would be a companion. I'm home a lot, I spend a lot of time with my pets to the point where some of them (Oscar) get annoyed with me. I like to do trick training quite often, although that is something that I can do with with Oscar. I'd also like to do agility and therapy work. Maybe rally?

If considering a puppy how much time will you have to devote to training?-
Time is one thing I have a lot of. I'm homeschooled and a lot of days I'm just at home doing nothing. I'd have pretty much all day, every day, at least for the next year or two.

How much time will you have to devote to exercising the dog short and long term? Don't just think about those first couple of years, consider 5 years down the road, even 10 when you may have married, or had children. What types of exercise would be available (walking, jogging, off leash hikes, swimming)?-
I live in the mountains and have a fairly large (5 acre) yard. When it's nice out and hike and swim quite often. Usually at least twice a week. I don't know where I'll be in five or ten years, so I guess that could be an issue.

If you plan on going to college what is your plan for the dog once you are in both school and working at the same time? Where is it going to stay during all that time you're gone (at home alone, or would you be open to bringing him to dog daycare, or having a dog walker come in a couple of times a day) and what is it going to do in your absence?-
It would stay with my mother and brothers, who are home all day.

==

The thing about labs is that my dad doesn't dislike the personality, he doesn't like them because my grandfather loves them. It's stupid, but eh... not much I can do about that.

Lucille, that is a good point. I think I may have worded that badly, what I meant was that I was looking for something without a breed tendency to be stubborn.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Dec 13 11:09 pm

Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:16pm PST 
Or maybe he doesn't love it. Today we couldn't have cared less about it. thinking

I got an ACD thinking he would be fun, I guess I was wrong. He doesn't like chasing me (or much really. He'll chase something out of the yard if he thinks it's not supposed to be there, but that's about it), and has shown no interest in herding. I live on a small farm in a very rural community and he's pretty used to all sorts animals, doesn't even bat an eyelash at sheep.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Dec 18 7:47 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > If I were to get another dog...

Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:12pm PST 
Warning- lots of rambling!
---
So. This is likely never going to amount to much, but hey, why not?
The idea of another dog has been bounced around a lot in the past few years. The answer is always something along the lines of "I dunno, I guess if something comes along?" and nothing ever happens.
Lately I've just been butting heads with Oscar. A lot.
I know I'm being overly critical, I get it. But we just don't really mesh all that well. He fits in the household well enough, he's alright as a pet. But I, personally, am not someone who is interested in having "just a pet". I've got other pets to do that, if that makes any sense.
I've been toying with the idea of another dog, or maybe even getting a dog for myself. I honestly don't know how on board my parents would be with the idea. I know if I came to my dad with the idea of a sport dog he'd be interested. My mom? Maybe not so much. I don't really know.
There are a few problems, and I'm totally willing to admit it.
I'm nearly 17. I'm not going to be living here for that much longer. Though I won't be going away to college, I will probably move out within the next 5 years. I never want to have to live without a dog, I'd gladly move into a trailer or even stay at home than live in an apartment, but honestly I don't know where I'll be in a few years. This, I realize, could be a problem.
Another is obviously, do we have the money? My parents could pay, but I don't know if they would want to. I am currently looking for a job, but have had no luck.
Then there is Spike. It's hard for me to say this but she is slowing down fast, within the past month her hips have gotten bad. At 11, I don't know... she could be around another few years, she could die next week. We were talking about it a few days ago and my dad mentioned wanting another dog after she passed. I can wait, I'm in no hurry, but I feel like it would be easier to bond with a new dog when I'm not upset over Spike.
So, there are a lot of factors in play. It's probably not going to happen and I'm okay with that but I still would like to be prepared.

===

Here's the fun part, suggest a breed! I understand all dogs are different, I just want a basis of what to look for.
What I need:
-The most important to me is a trainable dog who wants to do whatever I tell it to when I tell it to. It doesn't have to be supersmart, as long as there is no trace of stubbornness. Lord knows I've had more than enough of that with Oscar.
-Friendly. I want a dog that is in your face, wanting attention. I've had enough aloofness to last a lifetime.
-Playful! This is a huge issue with me and Oscar. I could play fetch for hours and hours. Oscar doesn't even like balls.
-Not going to kill other pets. I have a lot of those. Though I'm willing to work through some prey drive, I don't want my cats to live in fear of being eaten.
-An off switch! For my mother's sake ;D

What I'd like, but am willing to forgo:
-Not extremely drooly or shed-y, though I'm willing to work with that.
-Long hair is a plus, but not needed.
-Any size is fine, but I've been playing around with the idea of having a smaller dog. It's not a big concern though.
-Water loving would be fun. I could swim for days, and Oscar won't even go near the water.
-I'd like to be able to get into dog sports, so a breed that excels in that would be nice... but I'm fine if it isn't a common sports breed.
-A generally healthy breed would be a plus.

Reading that, I'd tell myself to get a lab. The problem is neither of my parents like labs. My dad grew up with them and can't stand them, mom thinks they are ugly. Maybe a golden? Though their health concerns me.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Dec 13 11:09 pm

Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:42pm PST 
He loves the flirt pole, just thought I'd mention that. Took to it right away. Although... he gets bored after a few minutes of playing with it. It's a start!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Dec 18 7:47 pm

Behavior & Training > I HATE WINTER. Just venting....
Oscar

Oscar Monster

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 3:40pm PST 
Oscar loves winter, and hates summer. I, on the other hand can't stand winter and love summer.
We butt heads a lot...
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Milton, Dec 15 12:09 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.