Postings by Ellie, SD's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog in housing- question
Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 10:17pm PST 
You definitely get to keep the service dog.

The real question is whether you get to keep the cat.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jul 17 7:34 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Got Called Snooty today
Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 9:19pm PST 
Last week at the grocery store a lady yelled at me, saying "Your RUDE!" after I told her Ellie was working and could not be pet. Since I was polite about it, I asked her how I was rude. Answer: "Your rude because you bring a dog into a store and don't let anyone pet it."

I wonder why the dog is in the store in the first place. I doubt its so everyone can pet them.

I really hate it when this happens in a grocery store or restaurant. I don't need her thinking she is off duty in those places.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ellie, SD, Jul 10 9:19 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Moving to Texas

Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 9:15pm PST 
Texas law is in violation of federal law. They require service dogs to be from a school.

I don't think you will have too much trouble in Austin. They are pretty educated and it seems to be the most liberal area in the state.

I didn't take Ellie out much when I went to Texas. I only went out with family and usually left her at the house. I was concerned about access issues. When I did take her out, most people had never seen a service dog. The restaurants questioned us. But no one denied us entry. The Olive Garden placed us in the back where they place families with kids (unofficially, of course - but its obvious they chose seating based on how loud or undesirable a group or family might be.)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Phouka, Jul 12 7:57 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Traveling tomorrow with my Emotional Service Animal

Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Sat Jul 2, '11 10:50am PST 
Do you have someone who can watch your stuff so you can run her out between flights? If the flights are 11 hours then she is going to be away from the grass for at least 12 hours.

If you do this, let the security know on your way out you have to get back in quickly. Remove all metal from yourself and take everything out of your pockets except your boarding pass, ID, and ESA paperwork.

Was there not a flight with a longer layover? It is too late now, but usually there are longer layovers available.

If your flight is a little bit late or in another terminal, then you most likely will not have time to take her. She will probably still be fine. Place her on a water resistant mat or jacket just in case (like having a rain jacket under her mat.)

I would not feed her today, at all. Just water today.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ellie, SD, Jul 2 10:50 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Has anyone faced any adversity for having a service dog?

Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 10:45pm PST 
Who hasn't faced adversity for having a service dog?

I was put in the worst room in a motel when they saw the dog. It was a "pet" room. The chair was missing a leg, the room had obviously been chewed up, and so had the door. It was nasty. If I thought I could get a decent room somewhere else I would have. Of course, the area to walk the dog was on the other side of the building.

I did not want to take my dog in to check in, but I was alone and it was actually 115 degrees outside (near Arizona).

At the airport recently I could tell the taxi drivers were staring at my dog. I got the feeling that they would have driven off if I walked towards them. I should have done so just to see!
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by S'N'S Geronimo's Revenge, Aug 12 9:28 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Emergency Contact Forms- Service Dogs?
Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 5:38pm PST 
You could just write a letter and stick it in his vest.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Rico CGC SD, Jul 25 3:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Disabled People With Service Dogs Turned Away From Restaurant

Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 5:32pm PST 
So far I have only had issues with Chinese and Korean places. I pretty much avoid any non-American diner for now because I do not like dealing with it.

A local Thai place was extremely accommodating and nice.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Rico Suave, Jul 8 8:10 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Alert bark in a dorm.

Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 5:25pm PST 
The labs are human anatomy labs, with human cadavers. I do not want my dog smelling like formaldehyde. (I hope I can handle being around dead people, we'll see how that goes).

I am actually trying to transition away from relying on my dog all the time. By the time I transfer to that school I hope to be able to attend class without her. I will still need her in the evenings and at night, though. And I would still take her on long walks and places like the library.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ellie, SD, Jul 1 5:25 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Alert bark in a dorm.

Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '11 6:12pm PST 
I am concerned about this as well, since I may be living in the dorms next year.

Ellie lets out one bark at home when someone comes to the door. I am thankful for that because I live alone and want unwanted people to know I have a dog.

I might have to leave her in the room occasionally so I could swim in the pool and go to anatomy labs.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ellie, SD, Jul 1 5:25 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How did you tell your family?
Ellie, SD

Will work for- kibble.

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '11 3:24pm PST 
I told my family that she is for dizziness. She helps me stand back up by bracing. And she can bark for help if I get too dizzy.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ellie, SD, Jun 27 3:24 pm

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.