GO!

Jacks and a a new baby

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Murphie Ann

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 10:42am PST 
I have two Jacks. One will be 3 when the baby arrives and the other will be 2. I am worried how they are going to react to the new baby. Does anyone have Jacks and an infant? Any suggestions?
[notify]
Bailey-- Loved- Furever

Catch me if you- can (trust me- you can't)

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 9:24pm PST 
Woof!!
Congratulations on the new baby!!!

Bailey was only about 8 months old when my nephew was born.
Since day one, Bailey has gotten very, very, very excited any time Tyler has come over. I took him to obedience a few months after the baby was born, and it helped a lot in getting Bailey to calm down a bit when he sees Tyler (not completely, though).
He adjusted pretty quickly to each new change in the baby's mobility...from rolling over to crawling to walking and now running (all the time). They are best pals. In fact, Tyler's first word was Bailey!
If your dogs have any agression issues at all now, you will obviously have to work with them from the moment the baby is brought home. If they are possessive of you, I would suggest making them stay off of your lap when you are holding the baby. Feed them in another room from where the baby is if they are food agressive. Put up a baby gate to keep the baby from the dog's food (Bailey jumps over the baby gate at our house, but Tyler hasn't conquered it just yet).
Don't be afraid to let the dogs get near the baby. You obviously have experience (having 2 JRTs), so you know how determined they are. Keeping them from sniffing the baby will just make them try harder! Once they get their sniffing in, they'll probably just go back to whatever they were doing.

I hope this helps. Since I don't actually have a baby living here with Bailey, I don't really know how to handle having the baby and the JRT 24/7.

Bailey's mom, Lori
[notify]
Fantasia

Its always time- to play!

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '07 8:44am PST 
I have 4 jacks and used to babysit small several small kids but dont let your baby around the dog when its eating or it will probley get snapped at trying to help eat the dog food. Other then that I noticed my dogs where fine as long as the kids treated them well but as soon as the kids become abusive, well we all know jacks dont run and hide easly. I think if kids are taught to respect animals at a young age most animals will respond well to that.
I wouldnt suggest leaving a kid and a jack alone in the same room because kids like to poke eyes and pinch noses while exploring. Jack might not like to play this game.
[notify]

Frogger

That dog rocks!

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '07 5:34pm PST 
When my first niece was born Frog lost all her hair. She also would get really excited when the baby was around. She never snapped at the baby she just tried to protect her.
[notify]
Skipper

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 6:21am PST 
I think that you will be fine from the start, as long as they don't have any bad agression issues now. I kind of feel like I am in the same boat. I have two JRT, they are 2 and 3 now. We are going to try for a baby in a couple of years. I know that my JRT's are fine around babies or small children that they know, or after they get to know them. They can be timid and scared of new children or babies because they really don't have any interaction with them on a regular basis. One suggestion I've heard in the past is to have your husband or signficant other bring home stuff that smells like the baby while you and the baby are still in the hospital. That way they will recognize the scent before you bring him or her home. Also, in the meantime you can practice holding a baby doll and teach the dogs to not jump on it, etc. I hope that all goes well, and let us know how it turns out! Congrats!
[notify]