GO!

Tips to Becoming Alpha?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Toby

Smarter than- your honor- student ;)

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 7:29pm PST 
Hi everyone. I would appreciate it if you could give me tips on becoming the leader of my pack. Right now, I could tell you for sure that Toby thinks he is alpha, by the way he only listens to me when he wants, whines for food and when he wants to go in the backyard, and I could go on forever ahahha. But the one thing I've been constantly doing is never giving him anything for free, I make him sit for treats, I make him sit when we play fetch, make him sit when I put his leash on/off, etc. I'm trying my hardest to be consistent, but does anyone have any MAJOR keypoints to being successful? Another thing is, I have no problem sticking to rules and stuff, but my dad who Toby sucks alot of things out of him because he knows my dad will give in, well my dad seems to not want to follow anything I tell him so it makes it harder for me to show Toby that he isn't the top dog/alpha. Thanks!!!
[notify]
Princess Fiona

The Energizer- Bunny. I keep- going...

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '07 6:47pm PST 
I have always been really "tough" on Fi. She loves her ball. Generally if she does anything wrong I take her ball away. It is like she is grounded. It only lasts about five minutes but she gets the point. For example one thing that she used to do was run out in the street (chasing after a ball) when we would play fetch in the front yard. I would immediatly pick her up and tell her "no street" and put her in the house (for about five minutes while I stayed outside). Now if her ball goes in the street she stops at the curb. On occasion she will go out chasing her ball (it is vary rare) and I say "no street" and put her in the house. It is pretty amazing.

Another thing I do is always go out first. If she runs out front before me (if we are going for a walk or to play) I wait until she comes back in the house and then I walk out first. Fiona is super smart and knows who is boss.
[notify]
Toby

Smarter than- your honor- student ;)

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '07 5:40pm PST 
Wow thats good. Glad to hear, Id say Toby listens to me more than anyone else, but still not quite 100% boss in the house but I'm working on it.
[notify]

Princess Fiona

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 9:16am PST 
It takes time but Jacks are awesome.
[notify]
Ginger

Loving a cat/dog- is like being in- heaven

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 7:52am PST 
There are a couple of things we do in our house. When we put Ginger's food dish down we do not allow her to eat it. We tell her "no, leave it". She will sit for a bit, sometimes, if she is really excited she may shake because of excitement but she won't get her food until she is laying down and relaxed. Usually I will let her have it if she becomes distracted by other noises when she is laying down waiting. If your dog is pushy when the food arrives stand in front of the food and "own it" until your dog backs away and finally submits by laying down. I have found this was my most successful method of becoming top dog. Now Ginger follows like a little puppy wherever we go. Also, just because your dad gives in does not mean that you can't become top dog. In the wild, the leader of the pack is responsible for providing food for the pack and always eats first and makes the pack wait. This is ingrained in dogs. I hope this helps.
[notify]
Bane Zany

BANE

Barked: Tue May 8, '07 12:41am PST 
i have heard of a few tricks to become alpha. before you put down their food act like you're eating out of it.. no you dont have to put their food in your mouth... but have like a craker or something you eat in your hand and pretend to grab that out of their bowl before you give them it and eat it... let them see you,,, this tells them that you are alpha and this is your food but you will share. also touching your dog, whether its strechting their leg straight wiggling their toes or tail. the point is that you get to do anything you want to them (as long as it doesnt hurt them) because you're the boss. when bane first came in my family i let him sleep on my bed above my head. after he had gotton to be about 9 months i noticed that when he didnt want to he wouldnt listen to me. i was told that part of the reason was where he sleeped.. higher than me.. i wanted him to remain on the bed at night so i moved him down to the foot of the bed . i have beed told that sharing your bed is also a cause to them thinking they are dominant.....and the combination has done well for me.

GOOD LUCK........ and i hoped i helped.
[notify]
Princess Fiona

Barked: Wed May 9, '07 1:57pm PST 
Fifi is an amazing Jack. She sleeps with me and actually puts her head up on the pillow next to mine, but She knows who is boss.
[notify]