Need Help with 10 month old newfie...

Carbon

Am I in your- Way?

Barked: Tue Sep 21, '10 5:21am PST 
I have this amazing 10 month old newfoundland who is just the love of our lives but all of a sudden I'm having severe issues while walking him. We've always taken a 1.5 or 2 mile walk every morning and he's learned over the months to walk calmly and leave the leash alone... (he liked to play tug of war). All of a sudden this past week he's off. The initial walk he's great and then when we start heading toward the home stretch he goes balistic playing tug of war with the leash and jumping and barking and so on. I've tried many different things. Initially when he was small I'd say leave it, have him sit and calmly pet him till he refocused... that doesn't work now... I've done the treat method with giving him treats if he drops it on first command. That doesn't work and we've attempted the choke collar which he hates so I won't continue with that.

My only explanation and I pray this is it. Is that there is a female dog in heat in the area and it seems to be the same spot where he pulls the complete crazies. I know he's young but to me that seems like the only explanation. After that he's fine, calm, well be haved and great.

Am I crazy? I was truly in tears today trying to calm him down as the bigger problem is I live on a busy street and I'm terrified he's going to end up pulling himself or me into the line of traffic.

I'm up for suggestions...

Thanks