Plott Hound mix?

Scooter- Louie

Opt to adopt!

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 7:13pm PST 
I fostered and then ended up adopting a dog who I was told was a Pit Bull/Plott Hound mix. Can somebody familiar with the Plott Hound breed take a look at his pictures and tell me what you think?

He has a goofy gait, a high pitched weird bark, white marking on his chest, the bottoms of all four paws are white, he sniffs a lot, is easily distracted and likes to chase birds up trees, but he doesn't run very fast. (It's more like a fast trot.) He gets along with other dogs and is overly friendly to people.

He's a great dog and it really doesn't matter what kind of dog he is really, I'm just curious.

Thanks for your help.
Homer

Where did those- deer go?

Barked: Tue Aug 3, '10 6:00am PST 
Hi,
I have a purebred Plott Hound who does not really fit any of the characteristics you named, except that he loves to sniff outside (they are natural trackers/hunters). My dog has a brindle coat, which I think is fairly typical, but I've also read that Plotts can be black or other colors. Your dog is a mixed breed, but who's to say there's not some Plott Hound mixed in? I was browsing in Pet Smart recently, and saw a dog genetic home test kit. It involves getting a swab of cells from inside the dog's cheek and sending it to a lab for a detailed genetic analysis. If you were really curious, that is a way to answer your question (for about $40).
Enjoy your new addition!
Hope

Barked: Thu Sep 30, '10 7:14am PST 
Your puppy sounds a lot like Hope and from the pictures lays the same way too with her paws out and head inbetween them. Hope is very laid back when everyone is at home and very protective when Daddy isn't. She is super goofy when she runs/plays and I've been told she wiggles her butt like a pit when she trots. The color markings seem to be similiar as well. I haven't been able to bring myself to do the DNA testing, but I am pretty sure you have, at least part Plott, like we do.

Maggie

sniff, snuffle,- sniff

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 11:42am PST 
My Plott has a kind of lumbering gait, that looks clumsy, yet is very ground covering. Her bark is deep and when she calls (at least that's what I call it), it is lovely, deep and smooth, different from the baying of other types of hounds.
Roxy

roxyrooroo

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 12:02pm PST 
hi
my dog looks like she might have some plott hound in her but, im not to sure. Could you guys look at some of my pictures and tell me what you think?