GO!

Hard boiled eggs?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 5:18am PST 
I was wondering what is thought of hardboiled eggs? My dogs love them, and they would make a bulk buy of eggs last longer (I think, I don't eat eggs, so I don't know how long raw ones last).

Are hard boiled eggs ok?

Plus, I don't know what cut of RMB to ask the butcher for. Please HELP!
[notify]
Matilda, CGC

made in Germany

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 5:27am PST 
it doesnt give them gas? BOLbig laugh i give my eggs raw, eggs can last a very long time, sorry i cant give you an amount of weeks.
[notify]
Diamond RIP

diamonds are a- girls best- friend

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 5:39am PST 
it depends on if they are eggs from a farm or the super market. farm freash last a little longer they havent been sitting around as long .but eggs last for a while about a month or so in a fridge about an day on the counter .most dogs do like raw eggs some eat the shell and all.hard boiled is good too as long as its not the major part of the diet maybe as a snack or in the meal as a little something extra
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 7:05am PST 
I haven't ever had raw eggs go bad but hard cooked ones go bad in less than a week. My dogs adore egg. I give Max raw egg a couple times a week. He won't eat cooked egg white but he does eat the raw egg white. I would cook up eggs that have been in the refrigerator for a week or so and leave them in a bowl. The hard cooked are the best way to eat eggs, as they have no added fat and they are a satisfying snack for all. But eat them within a few days!

Read that really long thread. There is another one about meals and another one on meats fed. Oh, read all the threads here, you might try the longer ones first - long for a reason. Dogs can eat any bird bone. Chicken, turkey, cornish game hen, duck, quail. They can eat any pork bone. They can eat any lamb bone. Do NOT feed beef BONE. Feed beef meat and organ. So go to the market and buy any pork, poultry or lamb cuts with good sized bones that is within your budget. Remember bone is a small part of the diet. 80% meat, 10% bone wrapped up in that meat and 10% organ half of that is liver.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 8:01am PST 
Raw eggs have an enyzme in them that keeps them from spoiling quickly. Boiling them kills it, so raw eggs last longer than boiled ones.

My furries get an egg every other day with their breakfast. If you go by the formula of 4 a week for a 50 pound dog, that is 1/2 an egg short for 49 pound Lily, but 1 1/2 over for 26 pound Moira. Moira's real name is "Me, Too". I don't think she would be happy if Lily got something she didn't. Maybe I'll try this weekend to skip one and see if she notices. I've never given shells.

Edited by author Thu Feb 12, '09 8:06am PST

[notify]
Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 9:23am PST 
my dogs love their raw eggs too. Jessie will eat the shell, but henry won't. i usually don't give the shell though because i figure out their calcium ratio already through rmbs. some people grind the shells though so not to waste it. jessie would eat it unground though.

oops, forgot 2nd part of your question.

Well, i would take whatever i could get from the butcher..usually you dont let the dogs eat the beef bones because they could be a tooth hazzard but if you get a good deal on beef rmbs, take them and let them pull the meat off, just take away the cleaned bone.

Edited by author Thu Feb 12, '09 9:26am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 9:36am PST 
The other important thing about bones is size. The bone needs to be of a size the dog chews and breaks up before swallowing. Most dogs, especially at first, shouldn't have stuff like chicken winglets or necks as they are just large enough to go down whole. Plan for the largest bone wrapped in lots of meat that fits your dogs portion size.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 9:38am PST 
When my dogs need to gain weight quickly, I will add an egg to their breakfast every day. Raw or hard boiled, it doesn't matter, they love 'em just the same wink I will often steal the egg shells when someone in the house cooks eggs, and I will drop them into my dogs food. Some of them will eat them, some of them won't.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 10:07am PST 
You can put raw eggs in the freezer, as well! The dogs don't mind when they're thawed again, so I've heard.

As for cuts of meat, chicken quarters are good to start out with. Chicken backs are bony. Layla could probably handle a cornish game hen pretty well, and you don't have to get that one cut up!

You can also ask for pretty much anything - just stay away from weight-bearing bones.
Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi,- Lily &

Be the moose

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 1:11pm PST 
Raw eggs last longer than hard boiled ones. But if you're ever not quite sure about whether or not an egg has gone bad you can do the float test.

Fill a bowl big enough for the egg to float in, a wide glass works too. Put the egg in, if it floats, its bad, if it sinks you're good to go. Grandma used to have a weekly egg route, that's how we sorted the good from the bad, and we didn't refridgerate the eggs either. They sat on pallets on the freezer until delivery day. Wouldn't recommend doing that with previously refridgerated eggs though.

I've shoved hard boiled eggs in the dogs' Kongs before. They enjoyed that. I also played a mean trick on them. They always get their eggs whole and raw, but I'd never given them a whole shell on hard boiled egg. Tossed each of them a hard boiled egg one night. There was much confusion and priceless looks as they tried to crack the eggs to get the yummy gooey center.

You could see if your butcher can order you chickens, whole, back and necks, feet. I consider feet a bone and use them with boneless meals sometimes.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2