Hi 5 or Shake

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Foxie Lady

Loyal,- Respectful,- Loving &- Appreciative

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 12:47pm PST 
Hi ~

How do I train my pom to do a Hi 5 or Shake?

She knows how to sit, lay down and rollover, so when I get the training treats out-she automatically does those 3 tricks right in a row (she also knows those 3 tricks by hand gestures too-so I wonder if putting my hand out will confuse her???) so I can't get her to sit to learn to Hi 5 or Shake cuz she will automatically lay or if I bring my hand to her paw she sniffs it and checks to see if I have a treat for her.

Any help would be appreciated! smile

Thank you~

Foxie's Mom~ blue dog
Chance

Chance from the- Hood

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 5:45pm PST 
Chance learned to shake hands this way: I showed him a treat in my right palm. Then I closed my fist around the treat. If he hit my closed fist with his right paw...he got the treat. Repeat a zillion times, but not all at once. You can train Hi 5 the same way, just put your hand higher. Lots of luck. Let me know how this works for you
Foxie Lady

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 12:36pm PST 
That's a great idea! applause smile

I will definately try that laugh out loud

Thank you cheer

Fancy-Kehley- r

Road Runner

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 2:19pm PST 
You could tickle just behind the paw pads until they lift the paw.
Foxie Lady

Barked: Wed Oct 8, '08 2:58pm PST 
Hi Chance,

I finally tried this trick with Foxie. I think she's starting to get it...she will put her paw in the air but won't put her paw on my hand...we'll keep trying though...

She was kind of funny because she always tries to lay down, so each time I ask her to get up and sit and she doesn't always pay attention to what she's doing and she falls over. It was cute.
Drifter

[ALMOST] a- therapy dog!

Barked: Tue Oct 14, '08 10:31am PST 
I always just grab their paw, saying paw/shake, and as soon as they relaxed (sometimes it would freak them a bit) I would give them the treat. Worked great for them! Good luck! way to go
♔Wolf&#- 9812*aunt's- dog*

no- treat, no- trick

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 9:27pm PST 
ummm i don't remember i think i would gently coax Wolf's paw upward and give him a treat or i would show him my hand and keep the treat away and take his paw then give him the treat either way he's pretty good at it
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Wed Nov 5, '08 5:46pm PST 
I just learned this trick! The way I did it was mommy held a treat above my head in her left hand so I wouldn't look at my feet. With her right hand, she touched the back of my paw on the back side (on the pad). When I lifted my paw, I got the treat. Repeat this way a bit and then add the command. Eventually, your paw should lift with only the command and no paw touch. I had this down in a few days. Good luck!
Trixie- Pupcake&hear- ts;

Little- Bit

Barked: Thu Nov 6, '08 8:22am PST 
this was one of my first tricks. my owner held a treat in her right hand, and waited. Of corse I went straight for it, but my owner said "no" and took it away. I started to give up, but right before I did, I tried putting my paw in her hand to push it off. Then she said "good!" and we did it over and over. Now I do it without a treat!dog
☼Annie- ☼

Tricks bring me,- Mama, and all- else joy!

Barked: Fri Dec 19, '08 8:54am PST 
With Annie, (this was one of her more recent tricks,) I just told her to lay down and caught her paw on the way and say shake. She learned it in ten minutes!

Puggle loves!
Anniepuppy
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2