Panda Shepherd

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Aug 28, '08 8:13am PST 
I came across this a few weeks ago and forgot to post it here in the group.

http://www.sidyboysfoolin.com/PandaShepherd.html

Apparently the Panda Shepherd hosts markings similar to those of a Border Collie, yet they claim to have no BC blood in the lines at all.

Does anyone know what would have caused this mutation in the genes?
(sorry typing fast I have to leave for a dentist appt now haha)
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu Aug 28, '08 8:23am PST 
I call BS on this one.

And the crazy lady that claims that some guy did a gene analysis and the Panda Shepherd is a different gene than the Border Collie ... yeah ... more BS.

The gene that causes white spotting in breeds like Border Collies, Collies, Shelties, Aussies, etc. hasn't even been found yet. No one knows what gene it is, so how the heck did the mystery genetics guy do a gene analysis on it? The gene for piebald spotting was just found earlier this year, and it isn't even completely understood yet.

The main "breeder" of these Panda Shepherds also has a website that I find exceedingly fishy. The first paragraph on the main page goes on about how the temperament of the Panda Shepherd differs from that of a regular GSD. Fishy that it would differ towards increased Border Collie character traits, eh?

I call foul here.

I don't believe this any more than I believe the silver Labs, the Biewer Yorkies, or the spontaneous merle mutation in Chihuahuas.
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu Aug 28, '08 8:36am PST 
Just so we are all on the same page ...

Here is the "breeder's" page
Furrari Kennels

And the wonderfully vague "genetic explanation" of the Panda spotting
Here

It is worded in such a way that people that do not understand genetics would think "wow that sounds technical ... must be right!". But the fact that this "genetics expert" is using an Agouti model devised in 1957 and that was proven incorrect in 2004, really destroys his credibility.

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Mon Nov 10, '08 6:00pm PST 
Apparently I never responded to this one confused

And I was all excited to get a GSD that had border collie markings wink
It all seemed a little odd to me, completely different patterning and colours for a GSD.
Guess this'll just mean that I'll be sticking to my border collies cloud 9 Haha.
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 5:53pm PST 
hmm....I don't know what would cause this...perhaps husky in the bloodlines somewhere? You could never know the whole story from things over the net...

Beautiful dog though!
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Jan 8, '09 4:39pm PST 
It's been speculated Husky or Border Collie, since both have those types of markings and are rather similar in build.

That's probably it too.

Although I'd love to *adopt* one of these dogs one day.
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 12:33pm PST 
The Panda Shepherd must be a mixed breed dog, because I have never heard of that breed in my life, until now.

How about the Panda Dog?

http://www.clonedinchina.com/2009/04/even-dogs-are-startled- by-this-panda-dog.html

It is a Chow Chow, but looks exactly like a panda bear.