How to get started?

Delilah- Moms Sweet- Angel

The Gentle Giant

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 6:50am PST 
Hi guys! Im a 7 month old Anatolian Shepherd wanting to get started in agility. Everyone tells me to wait to start training until Im 18 months old. I was wondering if any one here had suggestions on how to get me interested in agility without stressing my hips and joints?
Mulligan

The- Flying Bichon-

Barked: Thu Jul 31, '08 7:12pm PST 
I would start working on Obediance and finger pick ups. There is a great thread right now in the sports and agility forum. You should go check it out.wave
Jazz

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Barked: Sat Sep 27, '08 11:04am PST 
It depends on your bond, and your puppy's attention span. You could start teaching tunnel, or jump. Just remember, if you teach jump, just leave the bar on the ground ( no height) otherwise you could ruin your growing puppy.

TACh Timmy

E. Pluribus Unum

Barked: Thu Dec 4, '08 5:55pm PST 
Get to know your community! Find a local club, or the next trial and go volunteer. The more you learn now, the better prepared you'll be when you begin. Working at a trial will get your connections. You need this so you can find the best trainers in your area so you can be ready to sign up for lessons early (because good trainers fill classes!).
Jet

I sure do love- walks &- treats!!! :D :D

Barked: Mon Jan 19, '09 5:20am PST 
You could get your pup used to tunnels by putting in a small, beginners course in your backyard but just start with the tunnel. When she's old enough, you can use everything else in the set, too! Hope this helps!

Lots of Licks,happy dance

Jetblue dog
☼Annie- ☼

Tricks bring me,- Mama, and all- else joy!

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 5:54am PST 
I used treats with ~Annie~ to help her think that jumping, tunneling, and going over obstackles was REALLY good and a GREAT experience. She picked up quickly. I'd wait till twelve months, only because then the bones are about done growing. Keep us posted!

Puggle loves! ~Annie~ and her owner
Jet

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 4:45pm PST 
I agree with Annie for the fact that you could wait until only 12 months (one year). However, certain breeds of larger dogs such as Mastiffs and Great Danes take a few more months to grow.

go to www.drsfosterandsmith.com to get a complete beginning agility set for only $40!
☼Annie- ☼

Tricks bring me,- Mama, and all- else joy!

Barked: Fri Sep 4, '09 7:02am PST 
or to This Link!

It has the same obstacle course but includes more at $30!
Jet

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 11:40am PST 
Annie, I looked at your link and mine to compare, and they're the same. It just doesn't show it in the picture.