wanting to do agility

Talladega's Night Rookie

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '07 10:08pm PST 
does anyone know the rules about doin agility and do u have to have a akc reg dog or not??
thanks for advice

sharon
Penny- CL3,TBAD,- TG-2

~No- Longer Fat- Bottom'd- Girrrl!~

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '07 4:19am PST 
no there are other clubs, CPE for instance, Canine Performace events.. I am running in my first trial at one of their events tomorrowdancing
Terri's- Teika

Run for Fun!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '07 4:26am PST 
There are a number of different venues in which you can play agility. My favourite is CPE (www.k9cpe.com) but I may be a little Biased as my Dad is a Judge there. There is also DOCNA, AAC, USDAA, UKC and AKC. AKC is the only one requiring that you be AKC registered. CPE is probably the best for dogs starting out as the lower levels are there for you to have great success, Level 1 for example has no weaves or tetter totter so we don't have to do those scary things to early. My brother, my daughter and myself do all of these venues except AKC.

Prince- Caspian AD,- AJ, SAA

I am NOT a- girl!!!!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '07 9:45am PST 
There's also TDAA (Teacup agility) for any dog that's under 17" tall. I'm going to be competing in TDAA, USDAA, and possibly AKC (I'll need to get an ILP #)
Raoudi ADCH

Just call me- stud muffin

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 6:04am PST 
There's generally more USDAA than CPE in the southeast. Check out www.usdaa.com and look at events, then events calendar. That will also tell you what clubs are in your area.
Now, you can get what's called an ILP from the AKC for a dog without papers who's purebred to compete in AKC sports. It requires $35, some paperwork and a couple of pictures, and the dog has to be spayed or neutered.
Since you're a youngster, I'd start now with basic obedience - you'll need stay, sit, down and come commands in the agility ring. You really don't want to do too much jumping until your 18 months old or so, because it can dammage the growth plated in your legs. USDAA won't let you compete until you're 18 months old because of that.

Good luck!
The Lovely- Miss- Silvia(AKC)

My tail's worse- than my bark OR- my bite!

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 9:05pm PST 
Hi thanks for the link terri-teaka(or however you spell that)! I am wanting so compete with Silvia but didn't have the money to regester silvia with AKC. Thank you again!cheer