splashing the water out of the water bowl

Boris

Look into my- eyes. You are- Borismotized.

Barked: Tue Aug 22, '06 6:54pm PST 
Hi all experienced poodle owners. Our new young poodles, Otto and Boris, but ESPECIALLY Otto, like to splash their water out of their water bowls, and splash their dry dog food out of their food bowls. Is this a poodle practice? How do i go about shaping this behavior? i don't want to deny food and water.
JosephineRos- e of- Ravenfeather

look like a- queen, play like- a jester

Barked: Tue Aug 29, '06 7:59am PST 
Hi, Most of my poodles do that as well. Standard poodles are water dogs and take just about any chance they can get to play in water. The way I have found to stop (most of the time) them from doing that to their drinking water is to get them their own wadding pool. The only problem with that is the poodles don't stay clean long, and neither does my house. Most poodles will grow out of playing in their food and water by the time they are one, but some dont. hope that helps.
Molly

Barked: Sun Sep 3, '06 5:57am PST 
Hello, Yes, this is a Standard Poodle thing... We (Molly and Maxx) love to play in our water bowl. We put the water in our mouth, and let it run out all over the floor. Its our favorite past time. We dont really play with our food though. Poodle's are definelty water dogs!

Ella- Enchanted - (Ella)

Bring it on!

Barked: Wed Sep 27, '06 6:07pm PST 
I did the same thing until my mom met a very smart poodle lady who had a "buddy bowl". It holds 1/2 gallon of water and will not spill out even if I pick it up and turn it upside down and climb up on the sofa with it. We got ours at Jeffers Pet online. puppy
Layla

Girls just wanna- have fun ...

Barked: Mon Nov 27, '06 3:09pm PST 
I splash my water, but only when it is in a wide, shallow bowl. Somehow I just can't get my diging action on when the bowl is narrower. This "Buddy Bowl" thing sounds pretty weird ... if it can't spill, how do you drink out of it?
Admiration

Barked: Tue Jun 29, '10 8:59pm PST 
Indeed there is something interesting about the ole water bowl splash. Sometimes we'll catch them in different pens doing it simultaneously as if they were competing. It's a howl to watch, but it's hard to keep the water clean when they do this.
dolly

dollywog

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 9:43am PST 
Poodle (or pudel) means "to splash" in German....My first poodle had her own swimming pool, didn't swim well but loved to stand on the steps & splash for hours! As a puppy we had to keep the bathroom doors closed or all of the toilet water would be on the floor. Dolly isn't even a water dog...although she did give splashing in her water bowl a try as a puppy. Then again, there were few naughty things she didn't try.
Sally Stella

Doodle Poodle

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 9:44am PST 
Sally and Stella both played in their water bowls when they were 3 - 12 months. It is a phase, they do not anymore, unless we add ice cubes to the water, in which case all bets are off. Get a good bowl that does not move, the bowls at restaurants are flimsy and they can push them all over the place, so that makes a mess.

Stella likes to drink direct from sprinkler heads too, they are always drinking from a bird bath, they are such water girls!