GO!

another deer tick, head is stuck in

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 6:09pm PST 
How do I remove the head? It is a very tiny black dot. The skin is bright red in a circle around the black dot. The tick was a deer tick but it wasn't engorged. Please tell me I don't need to worry about lyme disease, from what someone here said lyme only gets transmitted after the tick is engorged..do I have to remove this head because I can't grab it at all with tweezers it's so small and in deep. I tried warm soapy water but can't get it out.
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 6:12pm PST 
Awww man I don't have a clue how to get them out. I have been really lucky with my crew and ticks, never had one. I would probably freak. Hopefully someone can offer you some advice quick!hug
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 6:18pm PST 
Thank you Mr. Bo. If I can't get it out and tmw it's still red, I'm going to the vet but I'm afraid to tell him I use garlic pills instead of topical flea/tick medication.
[notify]

Achilles

Professional- chick magnet

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 6:19pm PST 
It isn't really that big a problem if you can't get the head out. The immune system will take care of it. Not a problem. way to go
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 6:20pm PST 
Achilles is it normal for it to be red around the tick head? It's not a ring it's just a full red circle.

is there a blood test just for lyme disease? i want to get my 2 dogs tested..just to see..

Edited by author Wed Apr 29, '09 6:30pm PST

[notify]
Spuds "The- Angel Potato- Head"

Thinking of my- pal Troop!!

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 6:51pm PST 
Never had the head stuck, but would think with cleaning it and making sure it doesn't get infected it should be fine.

Spuds gets a 4 way snap test done. He has tested as exposed to Lyme, but does not actually show any signs of having Lyme.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 7:41pm PST 
thank you i dont know if i worry too much or what..both the dogs had lyme vaccine around 5 months ago just because it's so common here.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 8:16pm PST 
Hey Jessica, the time Sassy got a tick that was tiny and the skin swelled around it I took her to the vet. It was very scary looking and I couldn't get it out either. She has had lots of ticks and never a reaction like that before or since. I don't remember, vet probably rolled his eyes at me, swabbed the area and shooed me out the door. After I paid up that is!

I tend to make at least one not really necessary vet visit a year.
[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Wed Apr 29, '09 8:31pm PST 
we have heard of this and its supposed to work great!

removing ticks

I think even without buying the tick twister for $3.95, you can try this method with something else.
[notify]
Sheeba

Born to run

Barked: Thu Apr 30, '09 3:42am PST 
Do you know how long the tick was attached? It must be attached for 18 hours on a dog for the bacteria to leave the tick and enter the dog.

Also if it is Lyme, you're gonna have to wait a couple of weeks to get the test. A test right now would be negative because it takes awhile for the immune system to identify the bacteria, because they are able to mask themselves to look like a normal body protein. Antibodies won't be produced for a couple weeks and antibody levels are what the vet will test for.

Edited by author Thu Apr 30, '09 3:42am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3